iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade lube usage?

Started by JRWoodchuck, May 04, 2016, 05:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRWoodchuck

How much blade lube do you guys go through on a average day of milling? Trying to get an idea for how big my tank needs to be. Thanks in advance!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

derhntr

My 5 gal tank lasts all day and most of 2nd with lube mizer.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

jmouton

5 gallons is a good amount ,,,
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Nomad

Depends on what you're cutting.  In your area I have no idea.  Down here, If I'm cutting Live Oak or some heart pine 5 gallons might last half a day.  Sawing ERC it would last a month.  A lot depends on the formula you're using too.  Straight water won't go as far as with detergent included, for example. 
     I realize this doesn't help you much, but it's such a subjective thing that it's impossible to give a definitive answer.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

JRWoodchuck

For now will primarily be milling dead standing Western Larch and Red Fir. I really appreciate the input. Probably go with a 5 gallon tank seems sufficient.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sawing pitchy Long Leaf Pine.....wide open on the lube. May go through 3-4 jugs in a day.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Sawing White Pine, Hemlock, Poplar, a 5-gallon tank will last me 3-4 days.

Sawing Ash, I'll probably go through the 5-gallons in a day.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

I would say a 5 gallon tank would be sufficient and easy to get.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

5 gallons works well for me.  I very seldom have to add during the day, except when sawing pitchy pine like David said.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DDW_OR

5 gallons with a cup or more of CHEAP dish soap from the dolor tree.
more sap = more soap

i have heard of some using Diesel to cut the sap
"let the machines do the work"

mesquite buckeye

10-25 gallons/day on mesquite. More if it is dry. :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

highleadtimber16

30-40 gallons a day on WRC or Doug Fir. I hate having to stop and fill my tank.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Joe Hillmann

I use straight diesel.  And my set up rubs it onto the top and bottom of the blade.  If I sawed all day in really pitchey pine I may go through two quarts.  My tank is a 1 quart oil jug and I rarely fill it more than once a day.

Scott Sawdust

Hi, I am new here, thanks for adding me.
I have purchased a a Wood-Mizer LT40, and the blade lube system is not connected. Can you give me any tips about hose routing, and where to place the drip rate control valve? I have a screw type manual valve that goes in-line in the hose.
Is there a link to any Wood-Mizer recommendation for this?
Thanks
You're sure there are no nails in this log? Trust, but verify.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Scott.

The lube hose sort of follows the wiring into the notch in the big shield behind the operators console and out through, under the engine mounting plate.

Needs to be secured above the throat, above the blade and routed around and ends up attached to the fitting on the movable blade guide roller.

Hope this helps you a little.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Scott Sawdust

Thanks Chuck! Do all of you have a pump dispenser for this? Mine seems to be gravity fed?

Chuck White

Most (including mine) are gravity feed.

The newer ones have the option of "Lube Mizer", which is pressurized.

Mine is plumbed from the bottle valve to an electromagnetic valve which is wired to the #2 wire on the feed drum switch, then plumbed to a simple drip regulator valve, then out through to connect to the fitting on the movable blade roller guide.

When I move my forward feed drum switch to forward, the electromagnetic valve opens allowing the lube to flow, with the electromagnetic valve installed, there is no waste of the lube, it shuts off when I stop the forward feed.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Scott Sawdust. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Scott Sawdust

Thanks Chuck and Magicman! I plan to add the solenoid valve to the forward switch contact as well. Seems like there is dried up diesel fuel goop in the spray nozzle at the guide. Does anyone have a diagram of this assembly? Do I need to have drip nozzles above and below the blade? There is only nozzle one above the blade at this time.

DDW_OR

wouldn't a drip nozzle BELOW the blade drip away from the blade  ;D
Gravity

Magicman

Unless you have a pump, you can only utilize the above the blade drip/nozzle which is fine.  Wood-Mizer does not recommend diesel and personally, I have never used anything other than soapy water.  I prefer automatic dishwasher liquid because it does not make suds like Dawn, etc.  Some sawyers use Murphy's Oil and some Pine Oil.  Whatever works for you is fine.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Magicman on May 09, 2016, 12:26:30 PM
.......  I prefer automatic dishwasher liquid because it does not make suds like Dawn, etc......

Thanks for the Idea

JRWoodchuck

On a similar note how much fuel do you guys go through on an average day? Ill be running a 19hp kubota diesel just curious how much I need to bring with me once I start  milling.
Thanks!

Magicman

4-5 gallons of Diesel depending upon the day.

Chuck White

On an average day, I'll go through about 1/2 tank of gasoline, about 2½ gallons.

Thank You Sponsors!