iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How fuel efficient is your mill

Started by Rusticcreations, May 13, 2016, 07:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusticcreations

So how fuel efficient is your mill?

I only have a harbor freight mill but figure you gotta start somewhere, I cut 580 bf of 1" boards the other day and there was still a little gas left in the tank, not sure how much more I could done with it but it was still going.

Oh and on a side note 580 bf on that mill was one heck of a workout. I was exhausted lol

Peter Drouin

$3 to 5 gal a day. Not sure the BF that changes every day.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sandsawmill14

i usually burn 6-8 gallons a day plus another 2-3 in the hyd pack  board footage varies from 1800 on a bad day to over 3000 on a good day. this was a good week burned about 45 gal gas and sawed 13700 bdft :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Rusticcreations

Is 580 bf  a good number for a days work? For my mill I mean the harbor freight mill.

btulloh

That's a lot to get out of that mill. And a lot of hard work on you. You'll probably sleep well tonight. (Oh to be young again.)
HM126

sandsawmill14

im not familiar with the hf mills but whn i was running my hudson oscar 228 mill 8 hp all manual i got anywhere from 700 -1000 bd ft per day but that was 10 or more hrs a day :) and i was about your age  ;D now i would be happy with 500 bdft on that mill :)
those numbers i gave in my first post are on a full hyd mill with one helper, a green chain and a komatsu wheel loader to handle logs and lumber

ladylake

My little Isuzu did good 13 1/2 hours on 5 3/4 gals sawing easy pine , spruce, walnut and 4 big white ash logs.   Most times its 1/2 gph around 600 to 700 bf per gal sawing ash and white oak.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

I can cut 1500-1800 bf on <3 gallons of 91 octane gas!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandsawmill14

sounds like i use a little more gas than you guys mine was about 375-400 bdft per gallon this week but this is the only time ever figured it :)  may be time for a tune up on the old kohler  :)

Hackermatack

I cut around 18 mbf of with pine this spring on my manual mill with a helper we averaged around 1200'/day with slabs cut up for sugaring wood and the lumber on sticks. Worked 7hr/day and I estimate around 6 hours of mill run time. Gas consumption seemed to vary quite a bit perhaps because the logs were from 8" up to around 30" top end and were from 8-20 feet long but I filled my 5 gallon can gas can every other morning on the way to work. So I guess about .21 gallons of gas for 100 board feet, I am sure it would have taken a lot more but we cut quite a few 8 x 8 timbers.
Jonsered 2230, 590, 70E. Kioti DK 35 /w fransguard winch. Hudson Oscar 236

scully

My Kabota sips fuel . I would have a hard time using 5 gallons in a day . I forgot to reconnect my fuel lines one time and made 2 cuts before it ran out on me LOL .
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

I can easily saw a full 8 hour day on less than 5 gallons, but it will run out if I try to squeeze in 10 hours.  :o  It happened last Saturday.

I only shut the engine off for about ½ hour for lunch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

if i dont fill the 5 gal tank at lunch i will run out between 1:30 and 2 ::)

ladylake

Fuel usage depends on what and how fast one is sawing, 20" white oak or ash is going to take more than small pine logs ,plus  how fast your off bearer is, the days I made really good GPH I was sawing small pine with a slow off bearer.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on May 14, 2016, 08:56:37 AM
if i dont fill the 5 gal tank at lunch i will run out between 1:30 and 2 ::)

I think your working that Kohlor  hard sawing those big logs.  Steve

Thank You Sponsors!