iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gotta love Cabela's

Started by Brad_S., October 02, 2009, 02:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

I'm not much of a sportsman, so I had never heard of Cabela's until I started my current job where most of my team mates are ardent hunters. They introduced me to the wonders of Cabela's in Portland, ME (along with the Kittery Outfitters) and I was hooked. We have a Bass Pro Shop within 60 miles, so I get there 2-3 times a year, but there are no Cabela's nearby. On a recent trip to Northwestern Indiana, I made it a point to hit the Cabela's in Hammond. Figured I'd just do some window shopping. Two hours later, a floor salesman asked if I needed help getting my cart to the front as it was over flowing with stuff and I was having difficulty navigating the narrow isles. I'm a sucker for the "Bargain" room and the "Clearance" area. Got a fantastic deal on a cosmetically damaged commercial dehydrator for 30% of what the ones on the floor cost and a great little smoker. digin_2
I would have bought more if payday had been last Friday instead of today.
Perhaps it's a good thing there isn't one nearby!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

okmulch

I choose Cabela's over Bass Pro 10 to 1. We have a Bass Pro in Tulsa and Oklahoma City.  The closest Cabela's is in Kansas City. However, my wifes father likes in Overalnd Park so when we go visit I make it a point to go to Cabela's.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

red

The Cabelas in Hamburg PA  has an all you can eat buffet Everyday  :D
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Mooseherder

Brad, We stopped at the new one by the Scarborough exit right close to I-95 this summer.
It was a great place and we enjoyed it also.

GF

I have to agree with okmulch.   I went to my first Cabela's a few months ago in the Ft Worth area, well worth the trip.

DanG

I wonder how those places are doing, businesswise?  There have been two stores of that type, but not a Cabela's, to open in Tallahassee, and both were closed down in less than a year.  I don't know if it was just the overall economy that zapped them, or if their product line just didn't match up with the local demographic.  I suspect a mix of the two, but I went into them a couple of time and didn't find much that appealed to me.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

I've never been to one or a Bass pro shop either for that matter. I get both thier catalog's but everything in it seems a bit pricey to me. Are the store prices better?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Reddog

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 02, 2009, 03:11:44 PM
Are the store prices better?

Cabela's is the same as the catalog prices.

I like going to the stores to look at all the mounts and art work. :)
But I don't put there business practice much higher than northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. >:(

okmulch

Reddog said it! Going to the actual Cabela's store is worth it. The one in Kansas has huge room full of mounted mule deer, and they usually have large aquariums. My son loves to go there and see all the different animals.
I think you can find better deals at the stores then catalogs especially when they are changing from one season to another.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Mooseherder

I liked the Wood work, Beams, Logs and old planks.
I took quite a bit of video if your interested, I'll post it. :D
They had some corner molding around a large fish tank that was a quartered log.
We bought some clothes and other assorted stuff we really didn't need.
My mother was with me, I bought her a Jacket.

Norm

They just opened up a new Bass Pro about 45 minutes from my place. I talked Patty into going with me to check it out and man oh man is it nice.

I came back to work and my son said he'd gone too. He asked me what I bought and I said....nothing. And you I asked...well nothing either.  :D

I told him it was intimidating there was so much stuff there I'd love to have and I just didn't know where to start.  :D

WildDog

I am a Cabela's fan, we don't have their stores down under but buy on line, costs about 20% extra for postage and then the difference in the US dollar to the Aussie dollar, but still well worth it. I buy jackets etc when you guys are in summer, last season 4 Windshear jackets for the boys great quality and value. I get the boys a lot of their  fishing lures there. The only problem i have with them is Cabelas won't post fishing rods to down here, I tried to order a sausage/weener iron but it couldn't be posted either couldn't figger that one and we can't get the club points.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Toolman

We always stop at the Cabelas in Dundee, MI on our way to our NW Ontario fishing spot. We always find good deals. Their buffalo burgers are DanG good too. digin_2
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

SwampDonkey

I never shopped from the catelog for a number of years now. But, I always got good quality items from them. I've known about them for 20 years. I got a lot of stuff for out doors work in rainy BC coast weather. It held up well. I liked their thinsulate military gloves, their thinsulate wool gloves ( they are real nice, not that acrylic junk), rain gear, and Gortex boot socks. My friend bought tons of fishing supplies off them, it was way cheaper than local shops. But, they are pricey on most stuff. It was good stuff, and you couldn't buy most of it around here. I have a goose down Gortex coat I got and it's too darn hot for me in winter. I like to wear layers now a days. :D :D

Not sold by Cabella's as far as I knew, but what I really miss being able to buy is Stanfield wool underwear, not the fine stuff, but the heavy gray kind. Zellers had shelves of the stuff in Prince Rupert. The darn stuff was made back east here and I have never seen that heavy wool, just the fine yellow wool. I hate to use that fine wool, working and getting it all stained with tea stained water off the trees. Yeah, the stem flow off the trees in rain makes the water a tea color and stains your clothes. That gray wool feels some nice in cold rainy fall weather.  :)

Anyone see it around any longer? I wish I knew what I know now. I coulda bought 10 suits of the stuff for my lifetime. It was not real expensive either. There were shelves of it in Prince Rupert Zellers. I've had this one for at least 15 years. I have another someplace in this house.

Ah, here we go. I thought they went out of business.

http://www.stanfields.com/products.asp?CategoryID=8&SubCategoryID=36
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

semologger

The store in kansas city is a big one. i would go to it over most bass pros ive been to. I go to the bass pr in springfield Mo a few times a year its the headquarters and its a nice store also. You got to love them clearence items i know that. I dont seem to have enough money when i go. Thats the only problem i have.

Larry

Dad and I on safari in the Kansas City Cabela's soon after it opened.  Really an adventure and you don't need to even spend a dime.

They have a special gun room with a lot of old high dollar stuff...again just a treat to view.  It's possible to make a few bucks on a high quality gun iffen your selling...don't expect any bargains on buying one though.

If from out of town there is a great motel close that has all kind of attractions for kids.  A NASCAR track maybe a mile down the road if you like that kind of stuff.  Bass Pro opened a new store close by also...a really neat seafood restaurant to view...just don't eat there. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thedeeredude

I live within an hour of a Cabelas and a Bass pro shop.  Cabelas is better for hunting gear, bass pro for fishing gear.  I generally don't go to either, there's a small Mennonite store a half hour down the line that has stuff way cheaper and it isn't crowded with outsiders.

djoslin

We have a Cabela's about 40 miles from us north of Fort Worth, Tx. The best part for me is all the mounts, love the elk and deer ones. Another good thing that I use is the cabela's visa card, collect points on all purchases, last year picked up a 9mm glock with my points, gonna keep saving them for christmas, super nice store, much better than bass pro in my opinion.

Djoslin

rebocardo

They have a nice little LED flashlight that runs on a 9V battery and comes with a rubber housing. I mainly wanted it so I would not waste my smoke alarm batteries. I now have one in my glove box too. The perfect pocket size and the lamp is always on a dim setting so it is easy to find in total darkness.

You might want to check out www.sportsmanguide.com

SwampDonkey

Today I'm on a mission to hunt down some of that wool. I have a list of a dozen stores off the Stanfield's site.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Quote from: rebocardo on October 03, 2009, 03:34:25 AM
They have a nice little LED flashlight that runs on a 9V battery and comes with a rubber housing. I mainly wanted it so I would not waste my smoke alarm batteries. ...................................

rebo
I'm trying to grasp how the LED, or the 9V battery, or the rubber housing saves smoke alarm batteries...   Not that I NEED to know, but you have my curiosity up.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Quote from: beenthere on October 03, 2009, 10:06:58 AM
I'm trying to grasp how the LED, or the 9V battery, or the rubber housing saves smoke alarm batteries...   Not that I NEED to know, but you have my curiosity up.  ;D

Curiosity killed the cat, or so they say. Have you got some of those nine lives left?     :D :D :D

For me, I don't really care.    :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

trapper

I bought one of those rubber coated 9 volt led flashlights maybe 10 years ago at a flea market in flordia maybe 10 years ago. still works.  I currently like the 3 watt mini mag light.
I use the cabelas credit card and it works verry good for me.  Just pay it off every month. My wife bought an ATV winch for me last christmas . the switch failed and have called twice for a replacement with no results.  They say they called the manufacturer  to send me a new one but still no switch.  I have a cabelas about 50 miles away and enjoy looking.  Got a pair of wool hunting pants lasst year in the bargin bin at a good price.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

petefrom bearswamp

I love wool!
checked the Stanfield site and it appears that the wool underwear is available only in stores, but i couldn't find any near me in Central NY state
Darn.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

pasbuild

I shop at a local family owned shop where I get service that Cabela's can't afford to offer, The sport shop is now owned by there long time employee who is a gun smith and can recite the ballistics of every gun ever made off the top of his head :o
I have yet to see that degree of knowledge behind the counter of Cabela's or Gander Mountain or any of the other chain stores.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Thank You Sponsors!