iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Digital Camera?

Started by KiwiCharlie, July 16, 2001, 11:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiCharlie

G'day Guys,

To those of you that use digital cameras.  Any recommendations of what you use?
Any horror stories!?
I borrow one when needed, a Toshiba PDR-M60, which I like.  Its about 2 megapixels resolution, with a zoom lens.
However, its always good to get feedback of other brands etc, before you sign on the line......
Thanks
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

CharlieJ

I use a Fugi 2700. I think its been updated by now. The thing to look for is lens size, memory
and convenince. Mine does 1170x1280 pixels but I find that I use the 640x480 the most. That
size e-mails the best. Smart Media and Compact Flash are the 2 most common memory cards,
they both work well but are not interchangeable.

Charlie

Tom

I have a Camedia d-340r by Olympus. It uses 1.3 megapixels and it's upgraded versions are still in te neighborhood of $300. I like the card it uses rather than a disk and am satisfied with its sharpness, although I yearn for a "commercial" grade, Changeable lens capable body.  I back it up with an HP 1000 printer. Camedia and HP provide picture manipulation software with their equipment.

Bibbyman

I use an HP C200.  Gave it to Mary for Christmas two years ago.  Best gift I ever got her for me. ;D I think it's good for 1 megpixels.  I've used it a lot and have been very pleased with it.  It uses the small flashcard memory chips.  Last spring I got a little drive adapter to plug in the flashcard instead of uploading from the camera.  It was a great investment – saves a lot of time and batteries.  New 32mb flashcards will hold something like 180 pictures on medium resolution.:o  But I think that model has been replaced with newer models.  
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ron Wenrich

I have a Ricoh 5300.  It has a zoom lens and a few other bells and whistles.  It also takes up to a 32 Mb flashcard, but only have an 8 Mb card.  I'm pretty sure this one's been updated.

I've never had to use the card, since it will hold about 100 pictures in the economy mode.

It has good color, and I've been able to photograph diagrams in books in close up.  

To decide on which camera to buy, I went over to several web sites that listed all the features, and had user feedback.  Then went to Ebay and bought at a pretty decent price.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bill Johnson

I use a Sony MVC-FD85 digital Mavica at work, it has 1.3 mega pixels at the 1280X960 image size, 6x zoom uses 3.5 floppy disks and can record MPEG movies, I used it to take the plant pictures I posted.
You can change the image size and increase the number of photos per diskette from 6 @ 1280x960 format to as many as 32 but the detail gets fuzzy.
It was relatively expensive around $1100 canadian when we bought them about a 1 1/2 yrs ago, I bought a hard plastic high impact pelican case to carry it in especially when it sometimes bounces around in the back seat to the truck.
Things change so quickly that this camera is probably out of production now.
Bill
Bill

CharlieJ

My Fugi has 2.3 megapixels. It is small enough to put in your pocket and has an aluminum case.
The lens has an auto cover that closes when the camera is turned off.

Charlie

Kevin_C

I bought a Fufi 4700 a couple months ago and LOVE it.  They have some weird way of rating their pixels that doesn't jive with the industry, but I think it's equivalent to 3 million.  It's very small, I literally carry it in my front pants pocket, and it can take .avi (movie) files too.  And since it's been out a couple years now, the prices have dropped - about $600 from Amazon.com.

cointoss

I have the same camera as Bill Johnson and have been very pleased, the functions are easy enough for an all thumbs person to use yet advanced enough that you can do some quality work.  As a former 35mm SLR hobbiest I find that I grab the Sony more than any other camera now.
cointoss

Thank You Sponsors!