iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Marc's turnings

Started by Tom, July 22, 2001, 08:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Marc asked me to help him with the pictures.  
These are interesting works Marc.  You will have to describe them to us.

------------------------
This is just some of my work.          

RavioliKid

Those look so neat! I will have to try that craft one of these days.

I just finished my bean and seed mosaics I started in the spring.

Not on a par with wood turning, but it's not nothing!

;D
RavioliKid

Tom

Marc,

I like the table too. Did you make it?

Here is a site you may enjoy.
http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/index.html

marc

Yes, I made the table it is Red Oak that I got milled, it was the end of a log that was to big for the mill.

If you we wondering what the 2 tall turnings are at the back they are lamps without the shades on and the 4 turnings in the front are small baseball bats.

Tom

Small bats are fun and good practice but did you know that they make good "tire thumpers" for 18 wheeler drivers".  A lot of these guys will have individualized thumpers with their name or CB handle on them.  It's kind of like having a favorite pocket knife.

If you have any friends that drive big trucks you should make him one for a present.

Jeff

Up here, we use the small ones for Musky clubs or Salmon clubs, for dispatching them toothy buggers once they are in the boat.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I forgot about the fishing usage.  We do that down here too.  It is called a "tention-gitter" and is mostly used to calm down a catfish.  It will get a mud fishes attention too if he's acting up. :D

marc

The bats shown are from 1" to 6" long but I could make larger ones. :) :)

RavioliKid

Gee, I thought the baseball bats were jump rope handles!

I bet you could make some nice jump ropes - but would that be too sissy for you? :D
RavioliKid

Jeff

Hey good idea! That would be a unique way to market your turnings Marc! Custom Jump rope website. I can see it now...

marc

I just might try it, "Marc's custom jump ropes" But I would not know the first thing about making a web site. :D :D :D

Don P

Stick around ;D six months ago I thought HTML was shorthand for hotmeal and ordered 2. For your web offerings I turned a number of Yo-Yo's at one time, its a good way to utilize small chunks of neat wood. I think Charlie spoke of work coming off centers...A cannonball bedpost tore out on me one time, rolled up one arm beat me in the noggin and rolled down the other, was sore for a week but learned to keep a better eye on my tailstock. ???

marc

I turn bowls the most, a lot of them are turned from burls that's one of the main reasons I spend a lot of time at mills looking throw there slab wood and there logs and there are a few that hold on to them for me but I still can't get as many as I would like.

timberbeast

Marc,  where do you live?  I could probably provide you with some nice maple burls.
Where the heck is my axe???

marc

I would like that very much, I live in Ottawa Ontario Canada.

timberbeast

Send me your address to zap@netwurx.net.  I'll check the slab pile.  I have a maple down now that I'm using for firewood.  Has a couple of burls on it.   Don't hold your breath,  though!  It may be awhile!!  But I will definitely send you something in the next month or so.  I used to turn bowls,  but don't have the time now,  so I'll find some for you.  No guarantee as to what you'll find inside,  but what the hey?  They're free!
Where the heck is my axe???

CHARLIE

Marc, for some reason I can't see the picture of your turnings today 'cause for some reason my 'pooter ain't picking it up, but I saw them a few days back. Very nice work. If my memory serves me....and that is a hit or miss thing...I noticed some natural edged bowls in your picture. For you folks that don't know, turning natural edge bowls can be tough 'cause you're turning the inside of the bowl from the bark in. Because of the curvature of the log, the edge of the bowl is higher on 2 sides, which means when that chunk of wood is spinning and you stick your lathe tool into it, you hit wood, then a void, then you hit wood and then a void. You have to be steady with the gouge or you'll whack the edge (or get wacked by the edge  :o) and will have to make a regular bowl instead.

What kind of lathe do you have ?     :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

marc

Yes,  there are 3 natural edged bowls in the picture, a lot of my work are natural edged bowls. As for my lathe or should I say lathes I have 2 one is a 12'' x 33.5'' Craftex lathe and the other is a 3/4 HP Delta with a 16'' capacity for faceplate work.

Are you a turner? you seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to turning.

CHARLIE

I aspire to be a turner. I never tell anybody what I'm trying to turn because it might not end up to be what it started out to be. :D :D :D  I've never heard of a Craftex....must be a Canadian lathe.  I have a Jet 1236 which might be about the same as your Delta, if your headstock swivels outboard.  When on my vacation to Florida recently, I got to turn an 8" white ash bowl on my brother-in-law's big Powermatic. That was sweet. It makes my Jet look like a toy. Someday I'm going to see if Jeff will lend me a few thousand $$ so I can buy a Powermatic. ;D ;D ::)   I put a 10" chunk of birch on my little lathe last night and that thing was jumping all over the floor until I got it trued up. There I was, one foot on the stand to hold it down and trying to peel wood at the same time. It would've made a good cartoon short.  I gotta get some more sand to weight that thing down some.  8) 8) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

marc

My Craftex is almost the same as your Jet, my Delta is a $2000 lathe it comes in handy when turning the big stuff you probable know what I mean. I would like to see some of your work if you have any pictures. :) :) :)

Jeff

Charlie, if I am the Jeff your talking about, man, we gotta talk!

CHARLIE

Yep...you're the only Jeff I know. Here's how you can lend me enough to buy that Powermatic lathe. First, borrow the money from your Visa or Mastercard, then lend it to me. Then I could just owe it to you. I certainly wouldn't want to beat you out of it.  :D :D :D :D
Charlie

Jeff

Charlie, I know a good Doctor. I really think he might be able to help you with this mental thing...

Tom

Here is some of Charlie's handiwork.  I'de say he had good long career ahead of him if he weren't so old. ;D ;D

RavioliKid

Nice stuff, Charlie!  8)
RavioliKid

Thank You Sponsors!