iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 562XP Upgrades 2015.

Started by HolmenTree, September 16, 2015, 08:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49er

Quote from: beenthere on November 18, 2015, 11:01:50 PM
49er
Maybe soon to be in IN..  who woulda thunk it a few years ago.  Insurance companies, local code writers, and all the others' who want to tell you what to do as they want to keep their jobs writing codes and doing inspections.
Their excuse/reasoning is that you will be "safer". ;)
Yep,governments and bureaucracies always come up with a reason to take away your freedom and perpetuate themselves.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Quote from: 49er on November 19, 2015, 09:08:12 AM
Quote from: beenthere on November 18, 2015, 11:01:50 PM
49er
Maybe soon to be in IN..  who woulda thunk it a few years ago.  Insurance companies, local code writers, and all the others' who want to tell you what to do as they want to keep their jobs writing codes and doing inspections.
Their excuse/reasoning is that you will be "safer". ;)

Yep,governments and bureaucracies always come up with a reason to take away your freedom and perpetuate themselves.
:D :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

6am this morning the grass was still green then at 7 am it snowed pretty good with 40 mph winds but then just kind of fizzled out by the time the storm got this far north.
I credit the thick Boreal Forest of spruce that surrounds us , hundreds of miles deep where deer can't  even survive in it, only moose, wolves and smaller critters.
I always feel safe in this country but 500 miles south on the bald prairie that's  another story.
Here we are 2 pm wind's still gusting and not out of trouble yet.

HolmenTree

Speaking of blizzards on the Manitoba prairies south of me, how's this for an aftermath in our capital city Winnipeg  population 600,000 in March 4 1966.
70 m.p.h. winds and 20 below F.

Only 2 people died . Across the border in the U.S 14 died.

snowshoveler

No way Holmen...we know you swiped the middle out of that telephone pole...for cutting cookies with your new saw.
Yer busted.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

HolmenTree

Quote from: snowshoveler on November 19, 2015, 05:08:01 PM
No way Holmen...we know you swiped the middle out of that telephone pole...for cutting cookies with your new saw.
Yer busted.
Chris
Chris, that'd be a bit of snow for snowshoveler eh :D

snowshoveler

I have a d6 cat for situations like that...hopefully the snow doesn't arrive all at once.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

4x4American

holy crow thats alot of snow!  that must have been a long mud season ...
Boy, back in my day..

49er

Only 2 people died . Across the border in the U.S 14 died.
[/quote]

Two died in Manitoba. And that left what 10 survivors in the whole state? :)

My father spend 4 years in the Aleutian Islands in a B17 squadron. He returned home to Jacksonville Florida but headed north. He said it was so hot he couldn't stand it. 
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

Only update I have is I put a tape measure to the cookies I'm cutting in my videos. I came to realize my cants aren't 8"x8" but almost 9"x9".

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Grandpa

I decided to drag this  up because it sounded like Holman Tree wanted feedback.

We finally got some warm weather this week so I could test it, the saw was never a problem below about 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
I can say that it definitely made a difference in the hot starts on my saw. This saw has always been fussy about hot start technique but now just a tug and it starts, just like the other one. No need to set the fast idle.

Also, while the saw is a little louder, it lost some of the high pitched whine that it had, and I find it to be a little more pleasant than stock.
Thanks for the tip Mr Holman.

HolmenTree

I'm glad it helped you out Grandpa. My 562 is still running strong and with the .325 chain.
I see you're from Wisconsin,  some of the most beautiful country I've driven through.  I always wanted to see Holmen, Wisconsin  as the name is spelled the same as mine. My Granpa Holmen passed through there in 1905 on his way out west when he immigrated to the U.S.
I can't remember the story he told about the town as I was quite young, but I remember he said he almost made a homestead there.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 16, 2015, 09:23:45 PM
I don't  know Chris   :D I think there's  enough chain filing competition for me from lots of members  on here.
I sure like the looks of the new Stihl 23RS  .325 chain......Too bad Oregon can't  put in the effort to make a comparable chain.
Last picture shows Oregon 's outdated dinosaur 20LPX.

Note the large ramped rakers on the RS, and how much smaller the rakers themselves are on the LP/LPX.
RSC and the current breed of RS has the same kind of rakers as LG/LGX.
Information collector.

Grandpa

Yessir, we do have a pretty state. We have prairies, forests, hills, and two Great Lakes.
Holman is in one of the prettier parts. The coulee region, or driftless area reminds me of Tennessee.

RS35 on all my saws.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 17, 2015, 07:22:14 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on September 17, 2015, 07:17:29 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on September 17, 2015, 07:01:46 PM
Yes Happy  Birthday Chris

No there's nothing worth removing in front of the inlet of the muffler  . Just a deflector  plate with lots of opening at the bottom of the muffler . If one was to woods port the cylinder sure remove the deflector but the issue is the extra small outlet that needs to be enlarged.
For just a muffler mod the deflector is a must to keep the decimal levels down.

Decibel, I presume. Some auto correct likely is playing games with you?  :)
Haha yes this phone is a challenge Niko
Thanks for all your input,  your wealth of information gathering is greatly appreciated  8)

Ah yes, the phone and the decibel,  the irony of it all.  :D

Alexander Graham Bell would probably be ROTFLMAO round about now, if he heard that.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

SawTroll

Some 2015/2016 560xp updates, I assume they are the same for the 562xp:

Information collector.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 17, 2015, 10:08:45 AM
Quote from: LeeB on September 17, 2015, 05:36:47 AM
When I put a new piston and jug on my 346XP I don't recall there being any muffler gaskets, only the heat shield. Should there be gaskets?
Lee thanks for bringing this up , I hope others will chime in on this gasket issue.

Yes there is a gasket between the muffler and the heat shield on the 562XP , not sure about the 346.
The gasket gets welded  to the heat shield from heat so you may not have noticed it. I checked both 550 and 562 IPL's  and there's only 1 gasket between the muffler and aluminum heat Shield.  The heat shield is bare against the cylinder exhaust port.

I put an extra gasket between the heat shield and cylinder, but my questions to anyone out there is "should the gasket not be there so the cylinder heat can be properly transfered through the aluminum heat shield by metal to metal connection?"
"Or does it matter as it was just  a cost and weight saving design?"

From an engineering standpoint, yes there should always be some suitable gasket/cement material between two metal mating parts, as metal on metal does not seal very well, unless of coarse the engineers are relying on carbon build up from the exhaust to fill in the gaps and do the job. There are exceptions to the rules when using soft metal gaskets such as copper etc...but they still form the function of a gasket. If your looking to make it air tight, best to use a gasket. May not be as important for the exhaust as what it would be for the air inlet though.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 16, 2015, 10:46:30 AM
A little training and experience using a Bigshot slingshot with 2 mm throw line on a 14oz weight bag will get any guyline or pull rope up into the top of any tree while you're standing on the ground.

A 3 ton cast iron ratchet puller, Maasdam rope puller or a truck pulling the " right size" rope on a block or pulley redirect will get any tree down.

But knowing how to do the "stick trick" to measure a tree's height to fit the lay space is your first limitation.
Judging side lean and using a drywall T square to gunsight  the face cut to target finishes the job.

I recon an old car radio antenna with a pen in the bottom end would work really well as a stick, you could even keep it with your quotation book for when giving out quotes. And a nice green laser on the end of that drywall T square may come in mighty handy too you know?.
                             AND

HolmenTree

Ada, I think I better fill in to the members here about the "stick trick technique ".

Also to keep this post from being a  derail I'll report my 562XP with the .325 7 pin rim sprocket and Stihl 23RS chain is still amazing me with the torque of its cutting power of any log I'm encountering . Oils great with the 18" Cannon Super Mini bar.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 04, 2016, 07:24:32 PM
Ada, I think I better fill in to the members here about the "stick trick technique ".

Also to keep this post from being a  derail I'll report my 562XP with the .325 7 pin rim sprocket and Stihl 23RS chain is still amazing me with the torque of its cutting power of any log I'm encountering . Oils great with the 18" Cannon Super Mini bar.

Yeh Holmen, There's a lot of stuff out there. There's one site in particular that explains how to use the drywall T square as an "advanced gun sight technique" that sums it up pretty well. :D, just joshing. There's a few ways to determine a trees height but the stick method is probably the most versatile. I have a phone with a laser pointer that can also measure inclination. It's only a mathematical equation to determine the tree's height but of coarse, id then have to run out with a tape measure which makes it more cumbersome. Keep it simple (Kiss method) and I like it.

AND

HolmenTree

Just revived this old thread, thanks to John Mc for posting it for Hank's 562 modded muffler thread.

Wow over 10 pages with over 21,000 views and lots of information I forgot about writing especially pages 8,9,10.

kskis612

I'm considering a 562 XP after my 2 year old 550XP developed scoring in the exhaust cylinder. Husq claims it's from bad fuel. I've always used premixed fuel. Go  figure, I have my doubts.
Thoughts?

thecfarm

A dealer told you that?  ::)
I cooked a saw. They claimed I was not mixing my fuel right.  ::)  Wrong thing to say. I used the oil bottles and fill the gas cans myself and I am the only user. I went to 40:1 and all is fine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bushmechanic

Yeah I use 40:1 too went to the dealer to pick up some oil and he had a fit cause I was mixing too heavy. I told him that when he had a saw for 20 years and not a hook with it and never been apart for anything there's the proof. Also my 562XP is long out of warranty so it's my problem now!

Thank You Sponsors!