iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Push Back Job

Started by John Vander, July 12, 2016, 08:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Vander

A while ago had to drop this red pine. Heavy push back against the trunk since the hinge didn't break off at the fall. I was sweating since I needed to get it loose. No machinery was available to aid me and the area was inaccessable to trucks too. I used a series of bore cuts and brought the wood under tention to a minimum. The last piece of holding wood I took off with my axe. Took a bit of time but when you are alone and far away from your truck you don't want to end up with a saw stuck in the tree!

Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

Czech_Made

Ed_K

This is also good when rolling a released bole out of another tree, but you need to be real concerned where and which way the lever is moving while moving. I've used this a lot working timber stand improvement cuts.
Ed K

John Vander

I'm glad to know someone else also has used this before.

CCC4

Thats pretty wild!! When I'm alone cutting I keep an extra bar and chain with my kit. I also incorporate my wedge sometimes if I think I'm gonna get pinched

RHP Logging

So the stem was bound up and you did that?  I don't get it. Just buck it off. Maybe I'm so used to bucking up all kinds of bound up wood all day.  I work alone also.
Buckin in the woods

Plankton

Pretty interesting cut. From the description I'm not sure what the situation was that gave the stem the tension but besides being time consuming it looks like a safe bet on not getting your bar pinched.

Quick wheeling and a gentle feathering touch on the throttle will get you pretty far on a bound up stem.

RHP Logging

Still scratching my head.  Unless the tree has some side bind due to being wrapped around others trees, rock, whatever, the bind is either in the bottom or the top wood.  Gutting the middle really doesn't release that top/bottom bind.
Buckin in the woods

Bert

Probably a bit more work than needed but agree trying to get a saw out of a tree with a rock and scwrench aint no fun either. :laugh:
Saw you tomorrow!

CCC4

Looks like that belly limb had her in a bind. The hinge was still attached? It does look time consuming but different strokes for different folks. Looks to me that you could still get pinched, interesting procedure though.

John Vander

Hinge was still attached. What caused the serious bind was the fact that the crown was stuck in a couple of other small trees standing downslope. Yeah, I must admit that this was time consuming, and trust me, I was not happy at all with the situation. Had to restrain myself from cursing like a drunk sailor. I work with back leaning trees a lot, and I have gotten my skill down on using wedges, but here's the truth...I was a bit tired, and I needed to bring the tree down. In doing so I ended making more work for myself. :) If the saw would have gotten stuck that would have made my day...

Lumberjohn

I would have for sure got my saw pinched making that kind of cut in stressed wood. Im with RHP, I dont understand it?

John Vander

I cut out the centre and sides to bring the stressed wood to a minimum. I used my axe to release the top strap which came off perfectly since stress was very much reduced.

John Vander

In cuts like these (which I've used many times in storm felling) I always release the strap with my axe.

Frickman

Why are you cutting a tree that size when you have no equipment available? What are you doing with the log? Is this some kind of TSI work? Or are you coming in later with a skidder to log when all the timber is cut? Just asking.

I used to get real nervous cutting trees if I didn't have a skidder nearby. Or at least a big tractor or dozer. Even if I was cutting a tree in the neighbor's pasture.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

John Vander

These trees are to be removed later. I cut them for a friend who is developing the area for farming. He will bring in some heavy machinery.

Thank You Sponsors!