iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wild Turkey Surveys

Started by Ron Scott, December 27, 2001, 06:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

January Wild Turkey Survey Begins

The Michigan DNR is asking citizens to report all sightings of wild turkeys during January to help monitor the state's wild turkey population.

Survey information is used to determine the distribution of wild turkeys and to assist with wild turkey management.

To report wild turkey sightings, contact any DNR office or complete the observation form on the DNR Web site at www.michigandnr.com. Click on "Wildlife Resources", then "Wildlife Observations", then "Wild Turkey".
~Ron

Ron Scott

More than 143,000 hunters applied for 100,445 limited quota turkey licences available for this spring's hunts in 33 Michigan wild turkey management units.

The first hunts get under way April 22.

~Ron

Cedar Eater

I'm looking forward to the turkey hunting. It's one of the reasons I've enlarged some openings in the forest canopy here. On the other hand, cooperating with the DNR on turkey sightings is a good way to tick off the neighbors around here. Last year, the DNR denied us a fall turkey season here.

According to the locals, the DNR focused on our area for trapping thousands of turkeys to trade for something like 13 elk from some other state. I'm not saying it really happened, but the DNR sure has an image problem around here.

Cedar Eater

Frank_Pender

I'll bet I know where those turkeys sent those turkeys; almost right in my back yard,  8) What kind of elk; Rocky Mountain of Roosevelt?  If it is the latter I could send some.  ;) Do you want them UPS or Fed X?  :D My neighbors field looks like he has be plowing it most of the winter and he does not even own a plow. :'(  Some of his fences look as though they were moved about with my D5 with it 12' blade. :)
Frank Pender

L. Wakefield

whooey- I was driving south (now in WV) and one of those too kewl birds flew across the hiway in front of me. They are SO awesome. They look like they move like a bolt-a-lightning in the woods, but it's like a cruising 707 when you see it from the perspective of the hiway.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Ron Scott

Yes, they are fast on the ground and in the air. Also excellent eye sight.

While working in the Cranberry Back Country of West Virginia, now the Cranberry Wilderness, I had one fly up and spook may horse (Tennessee Walker). Needless to say it took awhile to settle him down from his air born front legs as I hung on for dear life.
~Ron

Corley5

The DNR hasn't imported any elk to Michigan.  We've got enough although the herd is down enough that we aren't going to have an Aug or Sept hunt this year only the Dec hunt with around a 150 permits.  We did export some to Wis a few years ago and were going to send some more until TB was found in a couple.  I had 20 or so turkeys in my yard the other day.  First ones I'd seen all winter.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

Wild Turkey, A Few Birds. Turkey under American beech tree left for wildlife.

~Ron

Cedar Eater

I hear you Corley5, because I told them we had enough elk, but they say the DNR wanted to increase genetic diversity for the health of the herd. That's why it was such a low number. That's why I said it was an image problem. I think they'll get criticized no matter what they do.
Cedar Eater

woodman

I may live in the city but we have some of them runing around in the back yards. We have bow hunting here October 14 to November 23 in town but no firearms or dogs allowed.
Jim Cripanuk

Corley5

No matter what we do we get criticized.  I'm a wildlife assistant for the DNR in Gaylord :).  Sometimes we deserve it sometimes we don't.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Cedar Eater

I've met a few DNR people and they basically fall into three categories. The best is the dedicated professional. ;) The other two are equally bad, the bureaucrat and the bully. ::) If I could choose where my taxes dollars went, the bureaucrats and the bullies would go hungry.

I think some of the distrust is warranted, :( but I feel sorry for the dedicated professionals who are thwarted because the bureaucrats politicize everything and the bullies alienate everyone.
Cedar Eater

Ron Scott

This gets "off" the subject of Wild Turkeys somewhat, but I'd say it political when anterless deer management area boundaries are changed to County political boundaries for management rather than retain deer habitat boundaries for their management.

Do anterless deer follow their habitat zones in the landscape or do they travel County political boundaries? Maybe now there will be deer management regulations for each county as local goverments choose to do so.
~Ron

Cedar Eater

I'm in the infamous DMU 452 (the bovine TB hot zone) which shrunk last year from four counties to four quarters (one each) from those same four counties. We can take an unlimited number of does, but there sure are a lot still around.

Maybe we could get the DNR to capture a bunch of those and trade them for some CWD elk. :D
Cedar Eater

Thank You Sponsors!