iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Restoration Log Home

Started by Coon, April 08, 2005, 01:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Well it's spring time here and the wife and I just decided that we were going to check out our home.  We were told the house was made of log but were unsure of the styling or the size of em.  Needless to say that we couldn't even see the logs because of the stucco on the outside walls, the paneling and the lath n plaster on the inside walls.   Well the curiousity got the best of me.

I started removing the stucco on the outside corners and walls yesterday.  What I found was alot nicer than what I thought I would.  Once I removed some of the stucco and poultry wire, I had to remove a layer of tarpaper(old style building paper) and then found the following:

1.  The logs appear to be cut on a mill and squared leaving rounded corners.

2.  Corners are dove tailed.

3.  Chinked with mud (as the old timers did)

4.  Logs appear to all be within the 4"-6" range.

5.  Logs appear to be sound and solid.

The house is a 1 1/2 story and measures 24'x48' (1152 sq ft main floor).

What chinking do you guys recommend?  pricing?  availability in Canada?
Also how would you guys clean the muddy logs?  I have heard about some people using ground up corn cobs in a sandblaster.  Would this work or should I just pressure wash them?

Thanks in advance for the replies.  Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Doc

Now, I am not the most knowledgeable here about log homes, and older construction using them, but I woudl suggest cleaning those withthe simplest method first.......the pressure washer. Be careful, and look for rotten spots first as you don't want swamp the inside of your house.

I have used corn cob blasting on aluminum for a polishing effect, and it is very gentle and very slow. now with logs it may be much faster, and may not be as gentle. It sounds like it might be worth a shot though.

Doc

Jim Haslip

There is supposed to be a 'corn cob' blaster available for rent out of Kamloops, B.C.  If I can find out  the name of the rental outfit I'll post here or email the info.

And there is a product called 'Permachink' that stands up quite well in our northern climates. Might be that the same outfit can source it for you. It isn't cheap, but... it is the one the better outfits use, so...

And there is an outfit from Prince George that'll come and install it.

Jim Haslip

Jim Haslip

http://www.permachink.com/

for the product and

here for a supplier:

http://www.steels.com/contact.htm#calgary

The corn cob blaster doesn't 'fuzz' the wood fibre like water does, so I'd suggest the corn cob over the pressure washer... In My Humble Opinion... both would work.

Buzz-sawyer

I would recomend low pressure (hose) and dish soap and scrub brush , then let it dry and use wood restorer to bring back original sheen , then seal with stain and water seal over that. :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Coon

Thanks guys.  I thought of that Permachink after I posted my message.  Are there any other companies out there that makes a good quality chinking also that is cheaper? 

As for cleaning of the logs I think I will try that low pressure hose with soapy water and a scrub brush.

Jim, Kelvington is in east central Saskatchewan.  We are about 2 1/2 hours east and north of Saskatoon but mainly east.  I am the guy that emailed you Jim, about coming up to Golden this summer.

Brad.

Don P

Below is a link to some pictures of one I worked on.
http://www.ls.net/~windyhill/padgett.htm

We used a pressure washer...multiple times to get all the mud and mouse droppings out. Alot depends on the wood itself, that white oak could take full pressure point blank without fuzzing. I would have been ruining pine at that range. Generally working from gentlest to most aggresive is the right way. I've only read about cob blasting...some people are wondering why pump starch, food, at a structure you don't want bugs in, something to consider anyway.

Permachink has an oxy type cleaner that is making the rounds. I like weatherall 1010 chinking, its a bit stiffer and tolerates my heavy handed approaches better. It is a good bit harder to gun though. Schroeders stocks it and various backer rods.

With finishes on a log home breathability can be a big issue. One drop of water getting into a check becomes cubic feet of vapor needing to get out. If the logs are coated with a film type finish, the vapor is trapped, moisture content in the wood rises and decay begins. A finish that repels bulk moisture (beads) but lets vapor out is the best way to go from what I've seen. I know, I've seen the old painted ones do fine too. When I've looked, they usually have the checks filled with layer after layer of paint. If the drop of water can't get in, that works too.

Jim Haslip

Sorry Brad, that email came in under a different name. Didn't recognize the name here to put 2 +2 together. Nice country up there, but flat... look forward to your visit.

Coon

Jim, I will be looking forward as well.  Love the B.C. scenery.

Don P, thanks for all of the useful info.  Love that resto project you did.  My house is not quite that old.  We think that it was built sometimes in the late 20's or early 30's.  Made of spruce by the looks but am not quite sure yet as the logs are muddy from the chinking mud.  I have only removed the stucco on the corners and a few other odd places.  Logs seem to be in good enough shape, but will find out once we have more of the stucco torn off.

Thank You Sponsors!