iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How did that fence get there?

Started by WV Sawmiller, June 20, 2018, 07:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt601

Last month I was cutting some sweet gum off a pond levee letting them fall across a fence row in to a field. I would cut on on one side and as my son would cut it up and they would skid it to the truck. When they was doing that I cut another one or two in the other end of the levee. Well Brodie rode back with Gavin on the Tractor to get some water out the truck he left a 2 day old Husqvarna 372 sitting in the top of the last one they skidded. Well I moved back to that end of the levee and cut a 20" sweet gun and yep busted it all up. It landed right on top of that saw. $800 bucks down the toiltet! Needless to say he is back running a old Rancher 455. Mark it up lesson learn!
No matter where you go there you are!!!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

coalsmok

I had purchased a lot and was clearing it off for a house site. Just bought a new echo saw and started on this project. About 8 trees in I had a tree twist and hang up in its neighbors. No big deal I thought, just cut it of a little ways up and it will slide right out. Nope done that three times and finally turned my bar into a u shape when the trees angle got to steep.
That tree ate a new bar and two chains before I got it out. Due to the landscape and walk in access cutting the other tree or pulling it down wasn't an option. Quick lesson on how important wedges and knowing how to properly cut a tree is.

enigmaT120

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 21, 2018, 08:07:11 PM
Yes bigger Doug fir, the only time you'll see us get up on boards is a far side is beyond your reach. Normally spruce out here you'll see stair steps put in the sides the guys will use instead of boards. Has anyone here played with red alder before?
I've cut several down, just for firewood as I didn't have enough for a log load.  Just about 2 feet diameter.  I was worried about them barber chairing or something like that but they all went down nice and were not rotten in the middle.
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Skeans1

Quote from: enigmaT120 on June 29, 2018, 01:06:28 PM
Quote from: Skeans1 on June 21, 2018, 08:07:11 PM
Yes bigger Doug fir, the only time you'll see us get up on boards is a far side is beyond your reach. Normally spruce out here you'll see stair steps put in the sides the guys will use instead of boards. Has anyone here played with red alder before?
I've cut several down, just for firewood as I didn't have enough for a log load.  Just about 2 feet diameter.  I was worried about them barber chairing or something like that but they all went down nice and were not rotten in the middle.
One trick I was taught well cutting alder is to get the top to just barely move when taking your face out, then a fast even across back cut. Now for the super leaner alder the one that come off the hill side falling it till they search for sun light coos back cut them and run like no other.

Thank You Sponsors!