iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I get fine cedar logs for free?

Started by Chris Burchfield, October 05, 2006, 08:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

I will be at a meeting Friday where the job will be opening. There is a significant amount of cedar timber standing I really would like to aquire. BHD goes up to 24". Any idea how much I should be willing to offer? I will be dealing with a sub that is clearing the land. I do not want this material to go to a chipper mill. I can see a fine Deck of "Cedar" in my mind. I guess Arky spoiled me with the day I was tailing during my 101 in the Ozarks. It was some beautiful, aromatic wood. Them Hickory smoked chops were fine too. TYIA for your input. Chris in Memphis.

Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Modat22

be there with a trailer, log end sealer, a 12 pack of beer and a couple 100 bills.

Don't forget the chain saw!
remember man that thy are dust.

beenthere

So, all you know is what the diameter breast height goes up to?
Do you know the average diameter and the number of trees?  Seems that would be a basic set of info before placing a bid.
Unless you can bid on it by bd ft. log volume.  That possible?
Can you quit when you have cut enough? or do you have to take all cedar standing?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chris Burchfield

15" and up, about 18 trees. Cedar grows slow in Memphis. I see about two 16' logs per tree. 15 trees in the batch. Cedar is tapered after the first log here at this age.

Shawn

Tell the guy your going to do HIM a favor and remove these trees for HIM. You usaul charge big $$$$ for something like this, but business has been brisk already this month and its time to give back to the community.
Haha. Hope it works!

Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

MemphisLogger

Chris,

I'd shoot for free. Cedar is not a high dollar wood and we don't have any mills in our immediate area that want it. Even if we did, the contractor would be paid by the ton and being that cedar is so light, it would take a relatively large load to make them any (if any) money.

Scott 
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Cedarman

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Chris Burchfield

They were going to haul it to Mississippi and burn it. I introduced myself after the meeting. One of the men said his daddy told him if he met a man with a one man saw mill, "thats a man that likes to work." I'm trying to see if we can stage the logs at one of their dirt pits where I could get them or Urban Forester suggested since they have them on a truck I could get them to drop them at my place. This would be 50 miles round trip. Maybe a little fuel money? Their way would be a waterhaul and a waste of some nice material. BTW, its 37 cedar 14 - 26", 7 pecan and 2 walnut. 14 - 46". Some of the cedar being quite old has suffered from the elements and just exposure. Dead wood from disease and/or lighting strike type stuff. There are some good clear 16' logs in there though. Their probably setting up a silt fence and tree protection in addition to moving equipment in for a couple of days. I'll touch back Monday and see if there is something we can work out.

Dan_Shade

sounds like your foots in the door! good luck.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Cedarman

Clear ERC lumber is worth double to triple regular prices. :o
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Chris Burchfield

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The answer is "You don't know until you ask!" Yep, for FREE!  8) 8) 8) Whats more, where they were going to burn them. They'll stage them there and I can cut them up there. The staging area is about 5 miles from the office. Far enough off the road where people can't see and will be developed some time in the future. About 200 acres. There is about 7 oaks I can trade/saw to their spec.s to replace floors in their trailers 14" - 28" in diameter. 35 cedars, 7 pecan and two walnut are mine. There is some black locus in there too if I spot it. They cut, limb, load and haul to staging. Keep in mind they were going to burn this up. Which meant their machines wear and tear and labor plus fuel for operating a a track hoe at the burn pit. Happy days are ahead.  :) :) ;)

Fla._Deadheader

8)  Sounds like ya done good.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DR_Buck

When they cleared the lot (128 acres) next to my farm the land clearing company BURNED 10s of thousands of board feet of ERC.  >:( :(   The fires burned for days.    :'(   It was all I could do to drag a dozen or so off the site before they got to them.   They planned on keeping the hardwoods for themselves for a little profit on the side.   ::)  However, I had already cut a deal with the developer to take all of the hardwoods off his hands for free.   ;D   He agreed, as long as I didn't complain about noise or dirt during the clearing and development process.   This really ticked off the clearing company guys.  >:(    I think thats why they burned ALL the ceder, even after I said I would take the large diameter ones.   :-\

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!