iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Dovetail learning curve on curves

Started by prittgers, July 13, 2014, 02:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prittgers

David and I spent most of our Saturday learning how to dovetail 2 sided logs and D logs.  We're using an MP100 from WoodMizer and Charlie's really wonderful Great Northern Dovetailer.  http://www.gndovetail.com/

The challenge is two-fold.  1). we want to have less gap between courses. 2). we want to have 2-sided logs. 

We think Charlie can help with #1.  Because it is a compound miter, getting the flat part of the joint inset into the curve of the log profile is a challenge.

Has anyone out there done dovetails on 2-sided logs?  What is your advice?

Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

warren46

Quote from: prittgers on July 13, 2014, 02:30:45 PM
David and I spent most of our Saturday learning how to dovetail 2 sided logs and D logs.  We're using an MP100 from WoodMizer and Charlie's really wonderful Great Northern Dovetailer.  http://www.gndovetail.com/

The challenge is two-fold.  1). we want to have less gap between courses. 2). we want to have 2-sided logs. 

We think Charlie can help with #1.  Because it is a compound miter, getting the flat part of the joint inset into the curve of the log profile is a challenge.

Has anyone out there done dovetails on 2-sided logs?  What is your advice?

When making dovetails on curved pieces of furniture I often cut the dovetails before I mill the curved face.  It should work making D-logs as well.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

prittgers

Thank you, Warren, for your comment.  It looks like you have the right answer because the Dovetailer is designed to dovetail a rectangular object.  We could then mill the inside and outside face using the MP100 Woodmizer Moulder Planer.  I have a new one arriving next week and will post photos if it's successful enough we're not dripping with embarrassment. 
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

drobertson

What warren said make perfect sense to me as well.  Once the angles are on, you are free and clear to mold away.  Never done it, but it makes sense.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!