iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are you making anything for Christmas?

Started by katie-did, December 05, 2005, 10:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

I have tried green wood turning but i don't have the time to turn it
over size then let it dry to finish. With segmented turning i use a
omputer program to make a shape i like then it prints out a cut list.
go to the shop, cut, glue , turn and finish it. Simple.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Part_Timer

All I can say is WOW those are some nice turnings guys.

katie-did stole my little lathe for her pens  ;)  I'd complane but she's so good at it.

I bought a craftsman lathe at an auction last week.  No motor just the headstock tailstock and bed.

I took it to work and we are modifying it.  The motor is supposed to go off of the back side belt drive but we are setting it up for a direct drive.  The headstock is threaded on both ends and we are going to couple it up to a DC motor and drive it from behind.  This will shorten up the bed but I like to turn small bowles anyway.

I found an old DC drive for it.  I'm not sure how all this will work but hay the motor and drive are free and the lathe was $17. It's worth a try

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Burlkraft

Hey Part timer......

You got the right idea there.....direct drive will make a real lathe out of that thing. The only thing is if you cet a big catch something has to give. That will make for some interesting marks in the ceiling :o :o :o :o :o   This is experience talking...........

Too bad we don't live closer....I could use some segmented turning tips......I don't think I'll ever get any better with the glue mess. My mom told me I been that way my whole time smiley_ignore smiley_ignore smiley_ignore smiley_ignore smiley_ignore

Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

I have found time to finish a few things for Christmas , here are a few pics . I have made some cutting boards for friends and family , some are made of apple wood some of yellow birch , some of maple . Also made some wooden puzzel teasers for the kids of all ages  :)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Button

I am making the credit card companies rich. But I never get a smile or a thank, never mind a scotch. Time to rethink my gift giving ways.
Peter
66 timberjack 230
394xp
365 special x 2
woodmaster
the rabbits may outrun the skidder but the saw will catch up to the tree

UNCLEBUCK

Wow you all are some serious woodworkers ! Everything looks so great .  Marcel I use to play a game in quebec called pishnell , all the french guides played pishnell and I have yet to find it anywhere. It was all made of wood and 3 wooden shooters kind of like a wooden table hockey thing a mu jigger  :D  That wood puzzle teaser looks like a blast especially if it was a race for the fastest time .   Well mistletoe and eggnog time is near , Merry Christmas everyone
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

katie-did

Isawlogs; them are some really nice looking gifts you made.  O0 I love the apple wood. I think that is my favorite wood any more. We had a big old apple tree down on the farm in Virginia and Part Timer brought some home and sawed it I have made some turnings from it and did a few pens but nothing major. Apple is just so nice and warm I just love it.  O0
   Button; I understand the Credit Card thing have done that in years past but I am tired of the Stress and ROOD  >:( people so I have changed my ways and am much happier.  :) I still buy for that kids in the family but that is always the easy part. I still have the stress of getting everything done but that is all my fault for not getting it done early.
   I got some more pens done yesterday but I was in so much of a hurry that I put them together and warped them before I thought about taking pictures. Sorry!  :'(
   I have some more that I have to mail out to family that I have not even got done. So hopefully I will get pics of them.
Here are some pics of some turning I have done for my mother-in-laws shop

All my Apple Peices (they call the first one my Honey Jar)
Cherry
Maple

Walnut Candle Sticks
p.s. Thank you to all of you for you great ideas I can't wait to get Christmas done for this year and start on next year. Maybe I will get them done early and not be so STRESSED.
  ;D Merry Christmas To Everyone & Thanks! 8) 
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

toxedo_2000

Toxedo
Why walk when you can fly

metalspinner

All very nice work above everyone.  I used to go all out making projects for the family for Christmas, but it began to where me out.  The past couple of years Ive cut back to a turned ornament for each person.  By doing this I still have my sanity by Christmas :D

smiley_christmas smiley_christmas smiley_christmasMERRY CHRISTMAS!!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

katie-did

clegaux- Them are   :D AWSOME  :o I have the instruction for them but have not braved turning them. I do not have all the tools to do it either. What did you make the roofs out of? Is it just paint or is it metal?

Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

pasbuild

I made my youngest daughter a pantry cabinet to match the ones in her kitchen and I made her husband a gun cabinet, I would include pics but I can't seem to get it right so I will omit them and save Jeff the time it takes to fix them :-[
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

metalspinner

katie-did,
Thanks for the compliment on the birdhouses.  The roofs are spun metal. (Yes I spun them as well).  #1 is sycamore with copper, #2 is buckeye burl with aluminum, and #3 is spalted something with copper.
Do not ever be afraid to try something new.  Throw the instructions away and get in the shop and teach yourself to do it.  80% of the fun in figuring it out on your own.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

P.S.  I used one turning tool to make these (minus the metal spinning).
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

breederman

You people do some amazing work!  I just finished a big toy box for my four year old nephew but nothing like what some of you can do!
Together we got this !

Jeff

Time to bring this thread up to 2006. :)

Tammy needed a present for her boss, so we went out to da scrap pile to get him one. ;D

Actually, this is a neat, simple to do gift that we are hopeful he will like.  Its made from cut off cedar pole ends we saved, a cedar 1by4 and a couple chucks of white pine scabbed together to make the top, a few wooden plugs, screws a hunk of foam Tammy had left from one of her sewing projects and a small scrap of material.  Tammy will finish it when she gets home tonight and I'll snap a photo.  A project that takes less then an hour.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thurlow

I've made cypress potting benches for the 4 adult wimmens in my family, wife, sister-in-law and 2 sisters.  The pictures are not very good; but just as good as the benches. ;D

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

farmerdoug

Jeff,
That is a nifty project.  It will look great when Tammy finishes it. ;)

thurlow,
Those are neat potting benches.  I am sure they will love them.  A couple of questions though.
1.  You said 4 wimmens and there are only three benches.  Is this by design? ::)
2. Did you have to use all of the boards off the walls to make those benches? ???

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

thurlow

There's 4; the othern's out of the picture.  The building is my new-to-me shop;  this is when I started in the Spring;

the way I'm going, I'll easily be through with it by the end of the decade. ;D  First cypress I've ever sawed;  it doesn't grow here in the hills of West Tennessee, though there's bunches in the river bottoms.  A logger came through a couple of years ago, buying SMALL  tracts of timber (none from me).  I did him a VERY SMALL favor.  Told him I'd like to buy a few cypress logs when he had any.  Couple of weeks later, he called and said I could have'em if I'd come and get'em............for free.  18 or 20 cuts. 8) 8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Jeff

Here is the finished project from my earlier post.

Part_Timer

Nice looking projects there guys,  we didn't make to much this year.  Katie did make about 40 pounds of home made candy to give away this year.

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Patty

I put together a high chair for a friend of mine.

I get to deliver it to her tomorrow.  :)

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Paschale

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

Patty, have you ever saw the chairs where the front legs hinge in the middle and the whole bottom half unfolds to become a table and chair for a toddler?

We put together another stool to give to Tammy's Mom for Christmas this morning. They would be cheap to make if not for the dang foam.

sawguy21

I am enjoying this thread. Beautiful projects. DanG  it all, I gotta get some shop space and tools.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Patty

Yes Jeff I do. As a matter of fact my mom had one for me when I was  little, and then my younger brother got to use it after me. I wish she had hung on to some of that old stuff. Although I am sure some saftey nanny would say they were unfit for kids these days.  :D ::) ::
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

I had a high chair just like yours Patty. Beautiful work. I don't know who mother gave mine to. Always get'n rid of stuff.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!