iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Throttle linkage Stihl MS-180

Started by ChopperJoe, January 26, 2014, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChopperJoe

Searching the existing posts gave me one similar but not exactly the info I am looking for.

I know the instructions say to squeeze the throttle to move the switch/choke to half or full choke. When you do not do this, it is possible to push the switch to the choke position. However, in the course of this improper operation the switch shaft bends the wire throttle linkage and makes the saw inoperable. (the wire keeps popping off the throttle actuator on the carb).
My opinion this is not very user friendly. I have used other chain saws where the choke and throttle, although interconnected, are more forgiving. I am visiting the dealer to ask him his opinion, have it fixed, and consider buying a better saw.
I do like the easy chain tightening.

Any thoughts?

sincerely,
Joe

ancjr

I don't mind the throttle/choke link on mine, and don't like the chain adjuster.  :)

Guess you can't make everybody happy!

7sleeper

I changed my front mounted chain adjuter to side mount classic type (no quick adjust). Price was less than 10$. I like my little devil alot!

ancjr

Quote from: 7sleeper on January 27, 2014, 04:59:37 PM
I changed my front mounted chain adjuter to side mount classic type (no quick adjust). Price was less than 10$. I like my little devil alot!

Good to know!

FirewoodAl

I got the dealer to change my chain tension adjuster to the classic style when I bought the saw.  Glad that I did.  The classic style allows much more precision in tensioning the chain. 

dougand3

Well, it's a cheap, mostly plastic saw. As far as choke goes, you have to release catch by pulling trigger to engage choke or you bend wire or break plastic. Not the best method but what Stihl decided. When you begin a cold start and want choke, you have to notice "Wow, this choke is hard to push! - oh, yeah, pull throttle as I choke"

You can save money by buying these parts online and fixing yourself. Easy repair.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

LeeB

I missed this post 4 years ago. Glad you brought it back. I've had a 180 for about this long that has less than 20 hours on it because apparently after reading this,  I either broke the plastic or bent the wire. Never have taken the time to see what was really wrong with it. I had bought it for the wife and she didn't/wouldn't use it. Too scared, which I guess is a good thing.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Inaotherlife

Battery powered saws start looking real good right here.

Thank You Sponsors!