iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nice oak money maker

Started by woodmills1, November 16, 2004, 04:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Was working on a fence order today for 8 and 16 foot red oak 1x6.  Pulled a nice 20" part of a double tree and got one 16 and one 8 frome the bole and 2 eights from the fork.  Made 17 1x6x16 and 24 1x6x8 from those logs.  At $10 per 16 footer that was a $290 tree and there is still half to quarter cord of fire wood for at least $50 more.  I don't cut too many like that one yet but it was part of a double so didn't feel bad.  Have at leat 300 like that and larger.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

oakiemac

Sweet deal. I too get orders for fencing but it seems a shame to cut nice grade for fences. I need to find some ugly oak logs.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Fred

OLD ugly oak logs I had a bunch of then 2 weeks ago made good pallet lumber though..
         Fred
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

woodmills1

I think about that when the first two passes on all faces come out like the $5.65 per foot home depot high price spread, but quickly realize the $1.25 I am getting will still hold true for the next two passes that fall below FAS and also for the last two passes that might be number 3 or less.  This company has turned out to be a good customer for me.  Only the cooper pays better and he wants all true quartersawn, but he does pay between 2 and 3 dollars per.

The fence company likes 16 foot boards to span two posts, but will take some 8 foot also.  On this last job they said the location was quite less than level so over 50 per cent could be 8 foot.  So, imagine getting $25 for 5 1x6x8 out of a log cut from the branches above the fork, or from a smaller tree I took out to get the tractor turned around.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!