iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern Red Cedar

Started by Cazzhrdwd, February 01, 2017, 06:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Yellville for me so not too far away.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

garyfg

I have a bunch of cedar to cut. Logs have been down awhile. Hope to get started when I get my new sawmill.

ozarkgem

Quote from: garyfg on February 05, 2017, 10:49:44 AM
I have a bunch of cedar to cut. Logs have been down awhile. Hope to get started when I get my new sawmill.
I like to let my Cedar logs set for a while so the pitch will set and not gum up the blade so bad.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Don P

Quote from: nativewolf on February 02, 2017, 10:10:11 PM
not sure if this is helpful but there used to be a big ERC mill in the Triad of NC.  They bought ERC from a 3 state region and had a very sophisticated multi product process of veneer, lumber, chips, and even steam refining the sawdust to extract cedar oil for sale to perfume companies.  So, I suppose a google would turn them up if they are still in business, not really sure-I might be dating myself badly.  I guess my point would be that some folks do indeed concentrate ERC logs for sale to specialty mills.  For them selling a few logs for a higher price would not be a big deal if you made it worth their while. 

Their lumber yard looked much like other large mills, except it was cedar, never seen anything like it but I was young, still never seen so much cedear.

I haven't been by there in 30+ years, Geo Brown and Co, High Point Rd, Greensboro, NC.

When I was tree planting around Courtland, Tidewater VA we were pulling nice cedars out of the push piles. One of the guys was collecting it then had a bandmill come out our last week, he left with his van stuffed.

alabama

I've got acres and acres of red cedar and some are big as get out. I hate to think of felling them one day. Could make a nice log cabin though.
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

Thank You Sponsors!