iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

50' Homemade Watersliiiide-------PICS ADDED-------

Started by Ironwood, June 21, 2009, 08:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I just wanted to share. Perhaps someone out there can use this idea to make one of their own. A few years back I made a 20' or so waterslide for my then 4 year olds birthday party. It was next to the house in the swale that directs water around the house. I padded it with an old wrestling mat (stinky) but I hid it all (and the odor) under some strips of recycled road side advertising tarps. I get these from the local advertising folks (#$%^ I hate those signs, blight on our beautiful state), but their tarps sure are handy! :D.

Well, today I used the same kind of tarps and a reclaimed training mat that the Steelers used to use at their training camp (St Vincent College), I got it from a maintainance facility that was torn down by a friend of mine (I bought the 2x from the 1870's structure). Anyhow, I got my "better" newer tractor out and tilled and trenched a nicely concave trough in our hillside below the house and put the 7' wide mat in the bottom topped by the tarp, nailed the edges w/ some "friendly" monster spikes and YEEE HAW, this thing rocks. The runout needed some work ;D Junior has a few scratches to prove it :D

I'll get some pics in the next few days. Man, what fun. Some of the pics my son is half way down, the others he is at the bottom.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Frickman

Sounds like fun. I wish  knew what you were up to Ironwood as I drove past your place today.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ironwood

Never pass up an opportunity to stop, you never know what has shown up around these parts.  ;D. Inventory changes daily, attitude usually remains the same.

Iornwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woodmills1

sounds like good fun

I made a water slide for a party we had years ago expecting a bunch of kids to attend.

I used a thick plastic roll and doubled its thickness.  I set it up a month or so before the party and tested it and it worked very well

come the day of the party, I forgot how dry it was for the month.  I gathered the kids turned on the water and went down head first.

When I got up there was screaming children running for their parents.

seems the dry grass poked through the plastic, and with the water the supeficial cuts on my chest made it look like I had been fataly wounded. :o :o :D :D ???
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ironwood

My overly excited seven year old went down on his chest and when he got to the end he found out I had not yet put the runout pad and plastic down= multiple chest scraps, but no real sharp rocks that time :o Perhaps he will wait next time, he slide down through the muddy slosh for 20'or so :D

Ironwood

JAMES G

cant go wrong if the SIX TIMES WORLD CHAMPION STEELERS used parts of your slide.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Top job ironwood  ;) Dad use to make our slippery dips  using plastic timber wrap from the sawmill but like that poor kid you have to watch your landing  ;) :D :D :D :D Good times  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ironmower

Sounds like a blast on a hot day. Do you use your garden hose, or do you do somethin different?
              Thanks, can't wait to see some pics.

GO Steelers!!!!!!
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

Ironwood

Just a water hose, it takes very little water(and much safer than a pool). Big party tomorrow w/ son's friends. Should be fun.

Ironwood

Meadows Miller

Dont forget the dish washing liquid  Mate ;) :D :D :D :D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ironwood

Well, There were about 25 people here. No dish soap needed, it's already too fast. The gals in bikini's had to put some of my wife's shorts on as they were going WAY too fast for my short runout. You start on your knees or stomach (skin) to get going then you HAVE to roll onto your butt to finish out or you just go too fast. It is 2-3" foam padded the whole way, 50' on the slide and then 20' of runout. I need to run over to my farmer buddy's for some wet  (free) hay to pad the runout, it is just too short. I'll put the hay under the mat to create a ramp up to kill the final speed. I was the only "adult" to go down yesterday, wimps! :D. Some of the kids are doing rolls and somersauts the whole way down, you can really tell which young ones will someday hurt themselves on "something" as they have NO FEAR, None! Yikes! Even my 28 month old got in on it, and he got he hang of not going too fast. 

I need to get some pics.

Ironwood

metalspinner

Put a ramp toward the bottom!!!  WooHoo!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ironwood

ramp up, to slow them down ;) not "airborne" ramp. Ouch!

Ironwood

RynSmith

woodsteach

Come on we've got to have pix of this 8) 8)!!
I'm still liking the ramp for jumping not slowing down! ;D ;D

woods
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Ironwood

Pics added, not responsible for the name on the mat, it was random, and we in no way condone/ support / not support nor will we comment on his views  ::)

Ironwood

Ironwood

One other note. The "tarp' is an industry wide standard, so those should be available anywhere, they are usually made up/ put up and run for several months then must be taken down for the next business renting the billboard. There are tons of uses for these AND the name of the ad agency is usually at the bottom of the sign to contact, making contacting them easy.

The one photo shows a close up of the washer and nail w/ my son's hand. What yoiu cant see is the 2-2 1/2" thick foam mat underneath which is the KEY to a good slide. You could try contacting local highschool wrestling programs as there mats get nasty smell and old in time. The tarp will isolate the odor and the "nasty". The slippery side of the tarp seems to be the one w/ the printing on it. Mine seems like an aerial support banner for  Rush, fortunately there are no airports near by :D.

The hill is steeper than it look in the picture, and NO soap or lubricant is needed as in VERY little water. Unfortunately my hill is concave so you gain speed as you go, it would be better convex, but I don't have a dozer so we'll just deal with it. Also, notice I created a nice 5' wide 1' deep trench to keep the little ones on target.  :o

Ironwood

semologger

A group of people i hang out with did the same thing last year at the river. But it was alot more of a downhill run. I had the chance to go down it but i had not drank enough beer and never will to go down it. There was a reason only the teenage boys and few adults brave enough went down it. The bank was all sand they dug out with shovels and the ending was in the river. They used anaold banner like you. Also the adults that did go down it couldnt hardly move the next day they were so sore and bruised up.

I wish I was closer to ya i would go down yours and probly run back up the hill for another run. Greatt job on the build.

Ironwood

Sounds like theirs lacked padding, OUCH.

I have never been one to pass up fun and adventure, say jumping into glacial (white colored) water in Glacier park from a 25' high foot bridge, water so cold you lose your breath (bonus, immeadiately fans out onto a shoal 1' deep), I did not/ could not breate until I got out of the water  :o.

Or bridge surfing w/ the locals , the river below the Tetons, w/ a stretching climbing rope tied to a homemade surf board and up to the highway bridge, pull back and stretch, lean forward and ROCKET forward, that river is HAULIN!

Or natural 150' waterslide on the East side of Priest Lake Idaho, w/ the local ski patrols summer picnic, REALLY cool spot, exposed granitic domes w/ streams running down them.

The list goes on, I would have to try the slide, lifes too short (non acoholic buzz please, safer ;D)

Adventures continue, just revolve around parenting and home and business ownership ::)

Ironwood

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

breederman

One has to wonder how many times did he miss that pool before he got it right.
Together we got this !

beenthere

It rained in the UP so ya fixed up a slide. Dat Pete goin down?  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

WOW, are we sure that is real? WOW :o Thanks for sharing. I don't think the helmet would have helped w/ the edge of the deck below the pool though. WOW WOW.

Ironwood

Dan_Shade

i saw that a while back, it was made for some website, and went viral (it's fake...)

good entertainment, though...  and more believeable than C-SPAN!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironwood

Well, never found time to get'ter taken down. Low and behold it is a very slippery luge' run. We frequently are the center of fun for our Cub Scout group so this has been a great addition, even though I thought it would block our sledding hill if I didn't get it taken down. No sled is necessary, just throw some snow under you as you start out and your rocketing DOOOOOWN.

Ironwood

fishpharmer

Now that looks fun.  Funny how procrastination sometimes pays off ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SPIKER

a like mist of that special spray lube that they used on the GRIZWALDS vacation  :D 
in this case a light mist of water out over the tarp/slide will coat small beads of ice for extra zip..

;)
mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Ironwood

isawlogs

How long before those kids pile up some snow at the base to become airborn ...  ( Kids  8) )  ( Ironwood   :o  )    :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ironwood

Kids, no!  Dad, yes! I will do that before they do 8)

Trax

Thank You Sponsors!