iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any mule loggers in the North Fl area?

Started by Bushgrinder, July 28, 2010, 10:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bushgrinder

A few years ago I had my 40 acres of pines thinned with the conventional heavy equipment.
Next time I want to try the old fashioned style of logging,with less property and tree damage.
I wonder if it's (more) or (less) costly to harvest pines the old way?
No hurry to get the job done.

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Bushgrinder

Raider Bill

Boy I'd sure like to have one of those tree grinding bobcats for a few days in Tenn!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DanG

Bushgrinder, I don't know of anyone doing mule logging around here, but I was just looking at the latest Farm Show and found some folks in Ga. that are training and selling camels for such work.  That would be sorta a different twist for Grand Ridge. ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fishpharmer

I would love to see some logging camels at work. ;D

If that don't work out I recalled something I had run across on the net, most are far off but here is a list........
http://www.ruralheritage.com/apps/directories/directory_list.cgi?directory=1&sortby=company

hope it helps.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bushgrinder

Quote from: DanG on July 31, 2010, 11:54:49 AM
Bushgrinder, I don't know of anyone doing mule logging around here, but I was just looking at the latest Farm Show and found some folks in Ga. that are training and selling camels for such work.  That would be sorta a different twist for Grand Ridge. ;D :D :D
Camels??!!
Now that would be interesting!
Man, could you imagine what logging with camels would do to the self esteem of the local mules?
I don't know,maybe we could start a new trend?
Hey,I'm willing to give them a call at least.
Thanks DanG for the info

Bushgrinder

Quote from: fishpharmer on July 31, 2010, 12:03:02 PM
I would love to see some logging camels at work. ;D

If that don't work out I recalled something I had run across on the net, most are far off but here is a list........
http://www.ruralheritage.com/apps/directories/directory_list.cgi?directory=1&sortby=company

hope it helps.
Howdy fishpharmer,those are some great contacts!
I'll check on the local ones.
Thanks

DanG

Well the camels would probably be kinda pricey, but horses are somewhere between cheap and free right now.  If ya know how to train them, you could just about get out for the price of the harness and feed.

We really otter get together sometime soon.  We're only about 20 miles apart, ya know.  I'll be outta town all next week, but free as a bird after that. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bushgrinder

I would consider "hiring" someone that logged with camels or horses,but don't want to buy any animals.
Watching a well coordinated man and beast operation is what I would like to see.

DanG holler at me when ya get time

Thank You Sponsors!