iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mustang problem

Started by Jeff, April 02, 2019, 04:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I think to begin with, it is going to stay electric. This is a hobby car. Fun car. I'll try to play with what is there, then go from there.  I though I had mentioned that I know the pump and fan both work.  With me new dialectical system I can easily isolate to run, or jump and run any of the add on electrical components.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Hilltop366

Quote from: Jeff on April 02, 2019, 04:55:52 PMand the one heater house port in there was plugged with red silicone gasket sealer.

This has me wondering. Was it intentionally plugged or excessive use of silicone?  Could there be more in the system?

Jeff

I think they just had a little too much around the hole, and it squished into the opening. The only issue to begin with was the fan didn't kick on at temp. It didn't overheat that I know of. Its only been tested setting idling, so without a fan, its boaund to eventually get to warm. Going down the road I figure it would have been fine.

waiting for the housing

Jeff

millwright

Run a manual switch, then just watch the gauge and turn it on when you need it

Jeff

I could do that, but then i would have to watch the gauge and turn it on when i need it. :D

luap

I had a similar problem on an engine that the electric fan would not come on but fan was factory, not aftermarket. The problem was solved by installing a thermostat with a lower temperature rating. I think it had a 195  deg thermostat and I switched it to a 185 deg. Don't know if this would apply to your situation.  

luap

Quote from: Jeff on April 07, 2019, 01:22:34 PM
Quote from: moosehunter on April 07, 2019, 10:16:35 AM
Jeff, I agree with the others that suggest you ditch the electric water pump. Unless the pony will only be a drag strip car that pump will just be a liability. imho.

mh
What all would I need to put it back together stock? I have no parts.
Google uneedapart. Online salvage yard network. Enter your vehicle information and parts you need. Individual yards will respond back with price and shipping cost. Some respond right away, others might take a couple of days

Old Greenhorn

Jeff, did you put the new manifold on with the sensor port yet? I am hoping this will change the dynamic and you might learn something more. If you did, curious to hear what you learned.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

Ive not been able to get back to it yet. Lots of yard work to get done and a website to get together for a member.

woodmaker

I'm not sure about your problem but I do agree with the diagnostics of most other members. One thing I would add is that small block fords come with water pumps which turned in one direction when they had v belts ,and the opposite direction after they went to serpentine belts. I'm sorry that i dont remember which is which,and am not where my reference books are.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Jeff

The new thermostat housing with the new sensor port cured the issue. At 185 the fan kicks on.  I took it for an innitiation drive around the block.(holy crap)
When i got back, fan was off, and came back on after sitting at idle a couple minutes.

Seems to be good to go. On to whatever next needs attention.

Old Greenhorn

I had a feeling... Glad that solved it. ANd I bet it looks better too!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

Pulled the mustang out on the pavement for the first time. At about a 5mpg roll i gave it about half peddle. It broke both back wheels lose. I heard wildflower yell Hey!!  I'm afraid I'm  heading for trouble. :D

Southside

Any idea how many ponies that baby is making?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Ianab

Thing is. if you don't know what internal mods were made to the engine, it's hard to tell from the "bolt ons ". The cam profile and heads make a big difference. 
So a 351 could be 250-350 hp with few external differences. 

I just hope the guy that assembled the engine isn't the same one that did the wiring.  :o

Hopefully he was just bolting stuff to the outside, and in that case it's probably still a solid ~300hp engine. Plenty of low end torque suggests a standard cam. As you get more exotic you lose that low end in favour of high end power at the higher revs.  

You compare that sort of engine to a more modern Toyota, my ""Corolla" makes similar HP (270 at 6200), but a lot less torque, peaking at 4,700 vs 2,800 for the V8. The Toyota is actually a pain to get off the line in a hurry. It has the power to spin both wheels, but then the traction control kicks in and cuts off the power, and you sort of limp off the line. You can actually turn off the electronics with some ignition / brake code, but than you tend to sit there in a clout of smoke. 

My old Corolla was a 1600, but rated at ~170 hp, but you had to be doing 7,400 revs. Peak torque was ~6,000 revs. If you were in hurry you had to use the gears and stay up over 5,000 revs!!!

But it's hard to beat the old V8 for fun and "off the line" grunt,   8)

And yes back in the 80's we used to be laying under 70's vintage cars at the weekend, to the extent of pulling engines apart on the side of the road at 1am. Seized valve lifter and worn rocker arm in a 1970 Holden (GM Australia) Torana. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Logger RK

I would check the spring that pulls the throttle back. 40 years ago I had a 69 Road Runner with a 440 that best I could figure broke while giving it The Tromp Down on a dirt road. Having posi traction didn't help in that situation. It WAS a nice Car

Jeff

Had the mustang out and drove into town and around the lake Saturday. Tammy just shook her head when i lit the tires up out on 61.

Discovered the next issue. No gas gauge.  

I worked on her blazer this weekend.  I fabricated some steps so she csn get in and out easier.

doc henderson

yes... but was she smiling as she shook her head ?  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

That is a good looking car there Jeff
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Quote from: Southside on April 22, 2019, 09:38:56 PM
It really is. From 20 ft. Not bad at 15. Any cliser reveals the truth. I really see it now that ive had it out in the sun. The paint is horrible  looks garage done in a dusty garage.

bigred1951

I wish anything I owned looked that good at 20 feet. Mine may look almost decent on a good cloudy day on the other side of a big parking lot.

Southside

Quote from: Jeff on April 22, 2019, 09:41:43 PM
Quote from: Southside on April 22, 2019, 09:38:56 PM
It really is. From 20 ft. Not bad at 15. Any cliser reveals the truth. I really see it now that ive had it out in the sun. The paint is horrible  looks garage done in a dusty garage.
Can't see any of that from 833 miles.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

While out tinkering yesterday, I found a major malfunction that could have caused some issues. The chrome air cleaner base was keeping the manual choke from completely closing. I had to put a custom "dent" in it and things work as expected.  It was sunny here and 55 @Peter Drouin so our hotrod was awakened to let it know it won;t be long. It stated right up and ran good. Was able to have the doors open for awhile on the barn. Looking forward to the snow and then the salt to be gone.

Thank You Sponsors!