iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Had A Hankerin'

Started by Burlkraft, February 23, 2011, 08:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

For some egg bread so I made a GIANT loaf  ;D ;D

Nice and crunchy outside and soft and chewy inside.........
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pappy19

Looks really good. Nothing like fresh bread. 8) 8)
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

That would have been perfect for soppin up the soup I made last night.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

Oh sure show me stuff like that while I'm dieting.  :D

Ummm fresh bread, look great!

SwampDonkey

Looks real good Steve. Hope you savored every mouthful. Yum.  :) 

Now you got me hungry for some fresh whole wheat bread. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

....For some off the wall multigrain  (whole wheat, oatmeal, buckwheat) :D

All raised up, ready to go.

Cooked up

Ready for the hopper.

Mmmmm gooood. :)

This was a four cup recipe.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Steve your da man of da stove , that there looks great, a few slices of that , heated up on the wood stove , add butter and dip into maple syrop.  digin1
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Quote from: Norm on February 23, 2011, 12:22:16 PM
Oh sure show me stuff like that while I'm dieting.  :D

Ummm fresh bread, look great!

Stay on that diet Norm. Don't come down here looking all chubby in your bathing suit. ;D
And don't forget that .50cal
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Norm

Not to worry Bill, I've been on this diet long enough that my speedo fits perfectly.  ;D

Wrangler55

Quote from: Norm on February 24, 2011, 06:35:57 AM
Not to worry Bill, I've been on this diet long enough that my speedo fits perfectly.  ;D

Almost everything else requires pictures... This topic doesn't! TMI

How about a recipe for the egg bread? Thanks in advance.

Hal
I'm so covered with sawdust, my nickname should be dusty...

Raider Bill

Quote from: Norm on February 24, 2011, 06:35:57 AM
Not to worry Bill, I've been on this diet long enough that my speedo fits perfectly.  ;D

Friends don't let Friends wear speedo's unless your from Europe.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Norm

Donk your bread looks awesome!

I've been on a kick this winter making my own bread from a starter that I keep in the frig. Certainly has helped me in my bread making skills.

We were checking into a hotel last summer with Patty and my sister in law. The hotel clerk casually mentioned that the pool was outside and Patty's sister asked me if I'd brought my suit. Without missing a beat I told her I'd brought my birthday suit with me. She now knows better than to ask questions.  :D

Steve I told Patty the only way your bread could look better if it had been made into cinnamon rolls. 

Burlkraft

I made some sticky buns for Jill....Wait for it ....wait for it..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And they were pretty good.

But stuff like that is just once in a while.

I was apologizing for something if I remember right  :D :D

I've gotten into the pattern of making bread at least twice if not 3 times a week.

I just made some sourdough starter today. They say it's easier than it sounds.

After I dried my eyes and gained my composure, I decided to try and make some  ;D ;D

SwampDonkey

I've eaten that first loaf in no time and almost half the next. :D But, these are not big loaves, not even baked in loaf pans. They are small pans, so I'm not as big a gluten as it seems. In fact I'm not really a bread eater. Bread will mold on the counter, eventually, from not being used. But this summer I think I will make my own sandwich bread and get some great big loaf pans enough for a weeks worth of sandwich fix'ns. Two should do. ;D Bread is over 3 bucks a loaf now and I can make it for $1.50 :D

Gawd I hate store bought bread. :D :D :D

Burlkraft

Almost everything else requires pictures... This topic doesn't! TMI

How about a recipe for the egg bread? Thanks in advance.

Hal

Braided Egg Bread

recipe image    
Rated:    rating
Submitted By: Marilou Hitt
Photo By: larky
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 55 Minutes

Ready In: 3 Hours 25 Minutes
Servings: 60
"This is a large, lovely egg bread, braided and sprinkled with sesame seeds. It 's impressive on the buffet table at your next party."
Ingredients:
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45
degrees C)
2 cups hot milk
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter

2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup water
5 eggs
11 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Directions:
1.    Proof yeast and 1/2 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl.
2.    Combine hot milk, sugar, butter, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a medium bowl. Cool to 110 degrees.
3.    In small bowl, slightly beat 5 eggs, then add to cooled milk mixture. Add milk mixture to yeast mixture. Add 2 cups flour and beat until smooth. Slowly add remaining flour until it forms a stiff dough. Knead on a floured board for 10 minutes (5 minutes with a bread hook). Place in a large glass or plastic bowl lightly greased. Turn dough over to grease both sides. Cover and let rise in a warm, dark place until doubled in volume, approximately 60 minutes.
4.    Punch down, cover, and let rise again until double, approximately 30 minutes.
5.    Punch again, and form into three parts. Form each part into a 20-inch roll. Braid rolls on a large, greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled.
6.    Lightly beat remaining egg and brush loaf. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in preheated 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for about 55 minutes until nicely browned. May be made into two regular sized loaves. Reduce baking time slightly.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2011 Allrecipes.com

There ya go Hal...Sorry it took so long, I didn't read this part! ::)

Norm

You were afraid to open this thread just in case I'd posted pictures.  :D

Jeff

isawlogs

He must be practicing for the piggy roast ! :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

That means 20 people per loaf according to the recipe. You must get a bite, a sip of cheap wine and a blessing.

isawlogs

Maybe a nibble if you are lucky  :(

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on February 26, 2011, 09:09:06 AM
60 SERVINGS?

11 cups of flour is a big bunch of bread. ;)

My little 4 cup recipe made two pans. So must be close to 6 loaf pans in Steves batch. Two slices is a serving. :D ;)

Jeff

QuoteMay be made into two regular sized loaves.

SwampDonkey

slice'm thin. :D :D :D :D :D

Wow, must be heavy bread. Of course mine were not regular sized bread loaves. But they were still lots of bread. Mines all gone now. :\

Burlkraft

It was a big loaf. That's a 20" cutting board it's sitting on.

Been eatin' home made soup all week using the bread to sop up the soup   digin_2

SwampDonkey

Well I had to compromise, since I have not bread pans. I used a 8" casserole dish and raised this up 4-1/2" deep.  8)

I've got a great big pot of chicken soup I made yesterday and used up the last loaf, so this morning was bread making again.  :)

whole wheat bread, 5 cups flour, 2 cups water  8" diameter, 4-1/2" high, brush the top with butter right out of the oven.  ;D

Hoot Hoot  8)

Jeff

I used to love the bread my Aunt Myrna use to bake for us when I was a kid. She used coffee cans for bread pans.  Perfect shape for a baloney and salami sandwich!

Thank You Sponsors!