iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help identifying a tree

Started by joshcathey, April 23, 2016, 08:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshcathey

Can anyone help identify this tree? I haven't been able to find a match using online guides for north American trees. I think it may be non native. This is in Oklahoma, near Tulsa. Thanks!

WDH

You have to create an album in the photo gallery, then upload the pic to your gallery.  Here is a tutorial.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

joshcathey

WDH

I believe that it is tamarack, Larix laricina.  Do the needles turn yellow in the Fall?

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=159
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

joshcathey

No, the needles stay green year-round.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Then, I believe that it is deodar cedar, Cedrus deodara.  It is a commonly planted ornamental.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=456

joshcathey

I think you may be right! It sure looks like it. It also looks a lot like an Atlas Cedar. How would I tell the difference?

WDH

The bark.  Deodar cedar has more of a dark brown, ridged, furrowed bark while Atlas cedar has a silvery scaly bark.  Take a pic of the bark. 

joshcathey

Definitely Deodar Cedar. Thanks! This house has been in the family since the late 60's and no one ever knew what kind of tree this was. My mom and her siblings used to use it to sneak out at night until my grandpa caught them and cut off all of the lower branches, ha!

Speaking of bark, as you can see in the photo this tree is a favorite of the local woodpeckers. The entire trunk and all of the larger branches look like this. Will this harm the tree?

Magicman

That is some major sapsucker damage. :o   Harm? yes.  Kill it? probably not.

You identified yourself as living in Tulsa, OK, but adding that information to your profile would help.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

joshcathey

Is there any way to prevent further damage or repair damage done?

gfadvm

Welcome to the FF Josh. I'm in Jenks. Give me a shout and come see my little mill/operation.

WDH

Nothing you can do about the sapsuckers.

mesquite buckeye

That bark doesn't look like the deodar cedars I've seen. Also the needles look too silver and small for deodar cedar. I'm more inclined  to think atlas cedar.

The true cedars aren't all too tough with only 3 species that I know of. Deodar from the Himalayas, Cedar of Lebanon from guess where, and a couple of forms of Atlas cedar. These grow in Morocco and are closely related to the Lebanese Cedar.

FYI.

;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!