iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Put my new CSM to work yesterday

Started by Madman_Mark, July 14, 2011, 08:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

Last week I took down a few white pine trees for a customer on his property behind his house. The trees were about 40-45 feet tall with approx 10-12 inch butts. They were in a spot where a bandsaw mill etc...couldnt get to them and the only way to get them out was to skid them across his lawn so we left them where they were.He wanted them cut into firewood so I told him about my chainsaw mill and that I could make a few boards out of the "but logs". He thought it was a good idea so I spent the day there yesterday with my MS 460 and my Alaskan mill. After about 7 hours of sawing ( with a few breaks here and there ) I had a 16 foot 12" x 4" beam that we carried/struggled with and used it as a foot bridge across a stream on his property and 27 (twenty seven) 8 foot 2"x6's. He was very happy with all the lumber he got from his own trees plus being able to cross the stream now on the beam I cut for him also. I called the local "lumber yard" out of curiosity afterwards and was told that the price of 1 pine 2"x8"x 8 feet long was $15 plus tax and the large beam would have been over $50......so if he had of bought this lumber he would have paid approx $500 with taxes. This was my second time ever using my CSM which I just bought 2 weeks ago and kind of an experiment but it worked out well, I charged him $200 cash for the days work and he has more for me to do in the future. Just wanted to share this with you guys, thanks for reading.

beenthere

You work cheap. ;)

Any pics to post?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom the Sawyer

Madman,

I'd sure avoid that lumberyard.  Our local HD sells pressure treated 2x6x8's for $4.57 and 2x12x16's for 19.97.  Even if you triple up the 2x12s for the beam, the total for those and 27 2x6's is still just under $200 with tax.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Madman_Mark

I have a couple pics but need time to post them lol. Next time Ill definately charge more, this time was a bit of an experiment. That pine lumber is worth a lot more around here then spruce......probably wouldnt be worth doing with spruce.

Thank You Sponsors!