iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Short White Oak

Started by scleigh, July 06, 2015, 09:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

Anyone ever mill or have a market for short logs?
I did some clearing for a guy today and part of the job included a white oak that had been topped by a tree company last year. The trunk was 16' long, but once I got it on the ground there were sign's of metal. I decided to cut into firewood, but as I worked my way up the log, I got out of the stain and decided to leave the last 6' 8" whole.

The log is still 29" diameter, I'll loose around 6" due to sap wood decay, but the rest just looked too good to throw in the firewood pile.
I know Poston make's car bumpers out of short logs, how about everyone else?

drobertson

No market for me, but I'm with you on saving it, done that a few times for sure, whack the to dote off and make a square then bring it down, strip and save.  I would've done the very same thing, and it is long gone now.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

plowboyswr

First thing that comes to my mind is stock trailer flooring. A lot of the older trailers are only 6' wide. Would work great on them floors run side to side on them not length in order to give the animals traction.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

scleigh

Yeah, I figure I'll saw it.
Sooner or later someone will want it.

schmism

flooring and furniture.   6'8 is long enough for most furniture.  4 quarter it and list it on CL
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

scleigh

I was thinking 10" and 12" wide boards at 6/4 to allow for plaining of the cup after drying.

WDH

I would saw it 9/4 into bench slabs.  Perfect for those Rite Leg Co. legs. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Seal the ends with Anchor Seal unless you like inserting bow ties.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bkaimwood

To the last few suggestions... If this was my log, and on my mill, this is what would happen to it for me, maybe bad luck...if I slabbed it, no matter whether it was anchor-sealed or not, it would dry and crack so badly, I'll wish I would have saved the time and cut it up for firewood in the first place...if I cut wide boards, I'd only be putting them back on later for resaw, to thin boards, as they would have cracked in the center...I'd quartersaw it, but it looks like it has 2 defects on this side, can't see the other...the knots would dry very ugly, and I'd end up trimming them out and having a stack of hobby boards...if the other side is defect free, I'd get nice boards there...my only other thing would be 8/4 utility boards, for Ramos or a bridge or something... Oak hates me!!!
bk

Ron Wenrich

Shingles.  I'm not sure how you would do that on a band mill, but lots of wooden shingles were made from white oak.  They didn't leak, and lasted a long time.  Labor intensive, but the return is pretty good, and a wider market.  You can do random width, and you sell a flat by the square. 

I believe they use a 16" and 24" piece.  You could do random width between certain sizes.  Probably use a siding attachment or make your own jig.  Cut up your short pieces into blocks that remove the big knots and are ready to make shingles.  Load the mill up with your blocks to resaw.

Other durable woods would also make shingles. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WV Sawmiller

SCL,

Seems like I saw a thread not too long ago where someone ended up with a bunch of short boards and had a sale at his lumberyard. Said to his surprise the short stuff sold first. Apparently people with cars and SUVs without trucks or trailers could haul the short stuff.

Which reminds me, I need to go trim up some I have cut and has been sitting a while. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

That would make excellent replacement decking for my fishing pier.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scleigh

@Magicman , You gonna be close to NC on any of your travels? I can saw and sticker it till you arrange a trip in this direction.

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on July 06, 2015, 10:05:10 PM
I would saw it 9/4 into bench slabs.  Perfect for those Rite Leg Co. legs.
Thanks for the offer, but I think that WDH's idea is more practical in this instance.  Bench slabs would also be my suggestion. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Although it's not white oak, I saw box elder and box elder burls and unless it's a simply beautiful slab that folks are willing to pay big money for shipping, I cut everything to fit in USPS flat rate boxes. The large flat rate boxes are 23½" long and are big enough to fit plenty of hobbycraft wood into and it keeps the shipping very affordable for the buyer.
There's plenty of folks that don't have access to any given species of wood and/or it's just easier for them to buy off the internet, either way you'd be surprised what will sell if you advertise it.

Raym

I would saw and store for fireplace mantles. Just the other day I delivered a piece of 16/4 natural edge walnut (53" long x 12" wide) for 415.00.

There have been times that I have had to purchase 12/4 material for mantles and there is so much waste because of the length. I have enough cut offs laying around (leg stock) that I need to build a dozen or so tables.
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

bandmiller2

Make stakes from those shorties, probably the most money from them. Frank C.

A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!