iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Want to build a homemade firewood processor

Started by Tommy Frantz, March 31, 2016, 10:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Frantz

Hey Guys,,
Newbie here from Salem, VA.

I'm looking to build a firewood processor, and I need some advice. I've built a number of log splitters and have a basic knowledge of hydraulics.
Here's what I'm thinking:
The machine would be manual in the sense the operator would need to be vigilant in terms of log length, etc. It would use a large (long) cylinder under the log tray to feed the wood straight to the splitter blades---the saw would cut the wood then the remaining log would push the cut log through the splitter blades. The cut log would not drop down into another area to be split like most processors I see. I want to use a circular saw as opposed to a chain saw. The whole thing would be powered by a 30hp diesel, and would probably use different pumps for the different functions.

The wood I want to split is eucalyptus, a very hard, stringy wood. The log lengths are 30 centimeters or less for stoves, and the wood comes to me in 2.5 meter lengths, 30-40cm in diameter. I cut about 40-50 cubic meters a year, and right now cut and split it all by hand.
Any ideas would be appreciated!

Tommy Frantz
Salem, VA USA

Hilltop366

Greetings and welcome,

That is a different way to split a log, I'm thinking that the log is going to have to be quite straight, not too small and the end on the push plate is going to have to be cut square in order to prevent the log from wandering, I would not want to be next to the log when it pops out under splitting pressure.

Tommy Frantz

The smaller logs I'd handle the old-fashioned way as they would try to pop out. The cut hopefully would be precise as I'm planning to use a mounted circular saw.
I'm concerned about trying to push a hard, stringy wood through a multiple blade splitter; I figure I'll need 50 tons of force on the big logs.

Thank You Sponsors!