iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first saw build

Started by CX3, January 27, 2011, 10:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

OK you guys know that I am putting on a saw cutting competition.  There has been much interest in the area, around 50+- saws are for sure coming so far.  I am happy about that, and hope many more will sign up after fliers are made.  

The mill I use is going to donate oak 9x9 beams 10ft long for us to cut on.  I supply logs, he supplies the mill.  Good deal for me.  

Heres what Im going to build to race with.  Let me know if you think it will work.  I have an "older" 460magnum that is retired.  I am going to put in an aftermarket 660 kit, 9 tooth sprocket, 16" bar, new ported muffler, and skip tooth square chisel chain.  If this setup will work good let me know asap please.  I need to order parts pretty quick like. Thanks.  
PS. Whatever I do to the saw engine, it needs to still be able to at least cut firewood for a living. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Al_Smith

Hmm just how do you profess to graft a 660 top end on a 460 lower ?

CX3

Was just looking through baileys and saw the kit.  Says it will bolt on??  I dont know thats why im asking.
You Better Believe It!

nmurph

i have never read of such......there are BB kits that give you 2mm more bore diameter. but sometimes the porting is not optimized on the BB kits and the power gains is negligible. i'm not saying one way or the other on baileys 046BB. i actually am considering putting one on a 440 that has a fried top end.

Al_Smith

Well ,there's a difference between a 460 big bore kit and an 066/660 big bore .

The 460 takes it out to 54 mm instead of the stock 52 whereas the 066 BB kit is 56 mm .It would make sense the kit for the 046 would fit the cylinder base to the crankcase whereas the 066 type is made for that case .Although not impossible it's doubtfull the 066 cylinder would fit a 460 case without some major machining work .

Evidently the 460 54 MM kit gives you a shade over 82 cc once installed ,a tad under half a cubic inch  increase .

CX3

Thats what Im talking about.  The kit is supposed to make the bore same as 660.  Will it make a huge difference?  I dont know.

But what about the other things I mentioned?  Will these modifications make this saw cut faster with plenty of power or not?
You Better Believe It!

Al_Smith

It won't pull a 9 pin very good at all if that's what you mean . It does little good to pull the RPMs' down below the torque power curve of the saw engine .You'd be better off with a 7 or 8 .Try them out to see which works the best .

Sure the muffler revamp will give you more soup but don't forget to dial in the carb .All that stuff will help but it won't make a rocket ship cookie cutter out of it  BB kit or not .

Thank You Sponsors!