iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

files

Started by Glenn, January 02, 2006, 08:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Yesterday I decided to clear some trails because the heavy snow was pushing smaller trees  across the trails.  I have a small husky 141 and a jonsered 525 that i use only a few times of year for this kind of work.  Both had chains that had only been filed a couple of times.  The 525 teeth were filed nice with a good hook and looked as they should but the husky teeth looked like there was very little hook - as if the file wasn't going into the tooth enough.  I know how to file and have never had a problem although I am a believer in a file guide - just the one you buy from oregon that clamps onto the file to give you an idea of the angle.  I noticed in the holder there was 4.5mm , i thought the .325 058ga chain should have had a 3/16 file.  Would this have made a diference or could someone have filed this chain with a 13/64 file?  What is the proper file to use - i think it is 3/16?  And what would happen if you used a smaller or larger file?

sawguy21

The hook looks and feels sharp but that is not what you want. It will clutch and grab, killing cutting speed. Ideally, the side plate angle should be close to 90 degrees. A small file creates the hook, a file that is too large leaves a backslope. Here is a link with a lot of information.
http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/manual_maint.htm
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Glenn

Thanks for the reply.
I already know how to keep my chain sharp and have no problems there.  My question is more towards what size of file is best used for these small .325 chains? I think it is probably 3/16 but am wondering if there is a better choice.

Rocky_J

Yes, .325" chain uses a 3/16" file.

Kevin

Glenn, this is part of the link Sawguy21 sent you ...

You can always use that 4.5mm file as the cutters get filed back and become somewhat smaller.
3/16 is 4.8mm.

Woodhog

This is an interesting question...

Around here the dealers all try to sell you a 4.5mm file for this size chain, on the box
as shown in the above link it says 3/16".

I questioned one dealer and he said it didnt make any difference but he did get me some 3/16"
files that is the size I now use, but I cant see any difference between the two...

I think the difference in size is around 10 one thousands of an inch..????

Would this make a difference , are my dealers correct in giving out all these 4.5 mm files??

Kevin

Woodhog, look up, look waaay up and I'll call Rusty.  ;D
I just added that while you were posting, sorry about that!

Glenn

On my large saws i always start with a 7/32 and go to a 13/64 halfway through.  I am used to 3/8 chain and to me this .325 chain teeth just don't look right, although they are cutting well enough.  Maybe i should sell the 2 small saws and buy the smallest size that has 3/8 chain !

Captain

Honestly, I don't even usually sell a 4.5mm file, we use 3/16.  There's very little difference. 

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!