iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need a better mousetrap!

Started by SkyDoc, June 26, 2016, 07:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyDoc

I am looking to improve my log clamping system. The log dogs that were provided with my track system do "OK" but I feel that I could fabricate something better. I am looking for ideas from others mills that I could copy. I have looked at the useful mod's thread and didnt find anything that suited my fancy.

After visiting with fishfighter and seeing the adjustable stops he has on his woodland mills, I think I am going to copy that for the log stop. What I am looking for is a travelling clamp that I can fabricate to use in conjunction with that type of stop.

Can you guys provide me with some pictures of what you are using on your mills?

Thanks
Doc
Dad always said "its easier to learn from someone else's  mistake than to make it yourself". Thats why I am here....

Kbeitz

I'll be watchen this...
I also want a better mouse trap...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kelLOGg

I got my idea from robnrob2 who hasn't been online in a long time. They are cam clamps which, IMO work better than the screw clamps they replaced.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ljohnsaw

I will be watching this as well.  I don't have a good picture to show of mine but they need fixing.  Mine have a cam action that runs front to back when tightening.  That sometimes moves the cant or boards I'm trying to edge.  I like the way the one above is set up but I would make one major change.  I would want the cam to be engaged when the lever is down.  If I'm cutting large logs, that arm sticking out will interfere with my saw head.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

kelLOGg

ljohn,

If you want the lever down, slide the clamping assembly away from the log just a tad and press it all the way down. I have to do that for just the reason you give - so the saw head will pass by unencumbered when sawing a full size log. The cant shown is rather small so there was no need for the extra room.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ljohnsaw

That's what I get for Assuming...  It looked like you would lift to make the cam engage.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Czech_Made

My log dogs look like this, they work well.  maybe not the fastest to be set.

SkyDoc

WOW! That's really unique. I love the travelling log bunk. Do you get much movement with them being so low on the log?
Dad always said "its easier to learn from someone else's  mistake than to make it yourself". Thats why I am here....

Czech_Made

Properly tightened the log is stable enough.

What I have to make is a right angle bracket for cutting beams or cants.

Thank You Sponsors!