iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my tractor and skidder attachment

Started by ozarkgem, April 21, 2014, 07:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

Here are some pics of the skidder attachment I made for my tractor. The tractor is a Ford 3400 Industrial Diesel. A brute of a tractor. Very fuel efficient. I bought a hydraulic winch, 20000 lb pull which is way over kill for the tractor but is what I had. I used a small cable as a safety to keep from breaking my tractor. I wish I had made it more compact, put the winch a little closer to the tractor. It works excellent for this tractor and I have pulled some way to big logs with it. On a long skid I put 2 logs on the forks and 3 on the skidder depending on size of course. I added a gas can and chain oil holders today. I put my saws in the wood box. The only thing that would make this set up better is more ground clearance and 4 wheel drive. Since I work by myself I am on and off the tractor 50 times a day at least. Also when I get the logs skidded to the landing I can load them on the truck right then.

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

EricR

Looks good,  Just be careful when pulling and skidding with it.  It looks like you have the potential of putting a lot of stress on your top link.  I've never seen it on a ford, but people do break the castings on the tractor side

thecfarm

Nice winch. Now that's a gas and oil holder. And than some!! I made my holders out of ½ rebar. Nothing as stout as yours.
I am off my tractor to as many times as you are.  ::)  I don't want to mention how many times I have to go back to the chains when I am trying to winch in 3-4-5 logs at once. Sometimes it works out well,sometimes I wonder why I bother. 4 WD would help alot,but we all have to work with what we have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ozarkgem

Quote from: EricR on April 21, 2014, 08:17:58 PM
Looks good,  Just be careful when pulling and skidding with it.  It looks like you have the potential of putting a lot of stress on your top link.  I've never seen it on a ford, but people do break the castings on the tractor side
I watch it pretty close. If the tractor starts to slide then I back the skidder up against a tree and take the pressure off of the tractor.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ozarkgem

Quote from: thecfarm on April 21, 2014, 08:24:47 PM
Nice winch. Now that's a gas and oil holder. And than some!! I made my holders out of ½ rebar. Nothing as stout as yours.
I am off my tractor to as many times as you are.  ::)  I don't want to mention how many times I have to go back to the chains when I am trying to winch in 3-4-5 logs at once. Sometimes it works out well,sometimes I wonder why I bother. 4 WD would help alot,but we all have to work with what we have.
As long as its not muddy this set up works pretty good. You use chains and not chokers?

thecfarm

I use slides-chokers and chains.

The most trouble I have are with the tops are small trees,4-6 inches.Than I try to double up on a few too. Sometimes one tree will run into the chain and push it off that tree. I need to move the chains back more,but don't want them too far back either. I like my twitches up in the air. The one with the chain too far back might kinda hang off to the side some and bark up my trees. I run 6 chokers now. If I need six,I use six,if I need one,I use one. I also have six 4 foot chains and five 8 foot chains. The short ones are used more than the long ones. I cut a lot of small stuff for firewood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ozarkgem

Quote from: thecfarm on April 21, 2014, 08:49:47 PM
I use slides-chokers and chains.

The most trouble I have are with the tops are small trees,4-6 inches.Than I try to double up on a few too. Sometimes one tree will run into the chain and push it off that tree. I need to move the chains back more,but don't want them too far back either. I like my twitches up in the air. The one with the chain too far back might kinda hang off to the side some and bark up my trees. I run 6 chokers now. If I need six,I use six,if I need one,I use one. I also have six 4 foot chains and five 8 foot chains. The short ones are used more than the long ones. I cut a lot of small stuff for firewood.
[/quote
sweet. Did you make the attachment? any side pics by chance?

thecfarm

Here's a side view.

This is on back of a 40hp NH.
No I did not make it. Brought it from Labonville. This is the link.
http://www.labonville.com/Norse-450-3-Point-Hitch--40-90-HP_p_82.html
It's a Norse 3pt winch Model 450. Has a butt plate that pivots.
More pictures in my gallery that I have used in other posts. Under my username is a camera icon. Click onto that and that will bring you to my gallery.,Ray's Logging is the name of the album. These winches are kinda pricey now. But I've had  mine since '93 and it has worked wonderful. Hauled out ALOT of big pine with it. There are quite a few makers of 3 pt winches. They all do the same thing,they get the job done. ;D Mine will hold 150 feet of 3/8 cable.

ozarkgem

Quote from: thecfarm on April 21, 2014, 09:09:33 PM
Here's a side view.

This is on back of a 40hp NH.
No I did not make it. Brought it from Labonville. This is the link.
http://www.labonville.com/Norse-450-3-Point-Hitch--40-90-HP_p_82.html
It's a Norse 3pt winch Model 450. Has a butt plate that pivots.
More pictures in my gallery that I have used in other posts. Under my username is a camera icon. Click onto that and that will bring you to my gallery.,Ray's Logging is the name of the album. These winches are kinda pricey now. But I've had  mine since '93 and it has worked wonderful. Hauled out ALOT of big pine with it. There are quite a few makers of 3 pt winches. They all do the same thing,they get the job done. ;D Mine will hold 150 feet of 3/8 cable.
nice set up. Its always good to buy something that actually works well and last.

luvmexfood

Quote from: thecfarm on April 21, 2014, 08:24:47 PM

Well said.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

chester_tree _farmah

Nice to see the blue still going strong too. Those old industrial fords are rugged.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Thank You Sponsors!