iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pressure cooker relief valve blew

Started by Cedarman, January 09, 2010, 09:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

Jane let the little hole get clogged in the pressure cooker lid and you know what happened shortly thereafter.  Just let a lot of steam off, didn't coat the ceiling or anything. It had the old solder or lead valve that you can not buy any more.  Can this be releaded or soldered and still be safe or am "we" out of luck?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WDH

You could convert it to an non-pressure cooker
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

WDH, now why didn't I think of that?  But then what do I do for a pressure cooker?

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

I'd look for another pressure cooker.  :)
Seems  one would have a hard time getting the lead or solder "just right". Don't want that to fail and have the pot blow.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

I am with BT on this one.  Time for a new pressure cooker.  Use the old one for non-pressurized things.

Tom

My Grandmom was cooking chicken gizzards in a pressure cooker when I was a small fellow.  Nobody was in the kitchen but they all heard a loud explosion.  Thinking their lives might be in danger, they ran to the kitchen to find nothing wrong.

Several days later she happened to look up at the ceiling and there was a gizzard stuck up there.  Don't know how it got up there, or if it was the reason for the explosion, but it sure was a coincidence.  How would a Gizzard get out of that little hole intact? :-\

It seems to me that I've seen pressure valves for pressure cookers on the internet, being sold as generic items for pots where the people had lost there valve.  Haven't looked, just something in the back of my mind.

crtreedude

I guess it is a sign I grew up with a Mom who canned veggies that there is nothing that scares me like a pressure cooker.  :-[
So, how did I end up here anyway?

beenthere

Tom
Where was Charlie hidin ?    ;D

In our house, the pressure cooker was used for every meal.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

Actually, beenthere, I either don't remember the incident or vaguely remember it.  It just might be that I remember the story.  Charlie was probably getting his diapers changed.  ;D

Faron

Cedarman, is that a safety valve that blew out?  If so, I wonder if a place like Sturm Hardware in Jasper might be able to fix you up.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

wampum

Here are some pressure cooker parts from Lehman's in Ohio. http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen___Canning_and_Preserving___Canners_and_Cookers___Parts_for_Our_Best_Pressure_Canners_Cookers___7212?Args= I am sure you can call them and get the right part and how to change it.

WH_Conley

What brand of cooker is it? I have some parts, mostly Presto.
Bill

Cedarman

Called Lehman's today. They couldn't help.  Suggested I call Mirro, the maker.  They also said I wouldn't get any satisfaction from Mirro.   I will try Mirro tomorrow.

Qweaver

My mom cooked and canned with a Presto and she must have bought it in the late 40s.  We used it up until we could no longer buy a new rubber seal.  When we contacted Presto with this problem they had us mail them the lid and they sent us a new cooker of the same size for free.  That's going way beyond what I would have expected.  We still have and use the bottom as a regular pot.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

If you have an "old" hardware store in your area, try it.  Talk to the owner or the oldest salesman.  Sometimes it's surprising what you can find on dusty old shelves.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

ohsoloco

Quote from: beenthere on January 09, 2010, 08:20:51 PM
In our house, the pressure cooker was used for every meal.

What kinds of things were cooked in it  ???  I don't even own one.  Then only thing I remember my mom using the pressure cooker for was cookin' the daylights out of broccoli  :D  I prefer steamed "al dente" broccoli over the smush from my childhood.

WDH

Cedarman,

Are you still blowing off steam?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Quote..in our house..
meant when I was a youngster in the 50's  8)

The pressure cooker was mostly used for veggies and/ or potatoes, while the fry pan usually had fried chicken, or fried potatoes. Seems near every meal had the fry pan and the pressure cooker going. Preparing food this way was quick, didn't heat up the kitchen and yes, the veggies were usually pretty lifeless. Tough cheap cuts of meat were put through the pressure cooker too. And we had plenty of cheap cuts of meat to render down to edible tenderness.

And yes,  I too prefer veggies that are not mush or smush. The corned beef and cabbage came out pretty darn good. Yummm.

Sure hanker for some good pan fried chicken, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant tho. And the gravy that would be made soon after (sometimes wondered if that was just to clean out the fryin pan  :) ).

The liver was another food that had the life fried out of it, and was akin to shoe soles. But with the onions, I still liked it.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!