iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fourth cuttin'

Started by redpowerd, August 30, 2003, 08:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

just got cut number four off the front 39 (alfalfa). i hope everyones crops are doing just as well. the corn is around 13 foot and the beans are nipple high! great year to be a farmer, now if we could just adjust those milk prices.......
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Haytrader

red,

Being we are south by a ways, we are doing 5th cutting here. First and second were good then it got hot and dry so 3rd and 4th were light. This last cutting is good.
It rained all day yesterday and all night and is sprinkling here now. I had a car saleslady call from Dodge City a while ago and she said Dodge got 8 inches and is still raining lightly. Just got off the phone with a lady from south of Wichita and they had 5 inches. I hope this makes it over to ARKANSAWYERS as he has been complainin about the dust.
Haytrader

Plowboy

It has been kind of dry over here.  Some guys might not even get a fourth crop.   Beans and corn might be alright, the dry weather came late so most corn pollinated.  Rained here the  other night, could use some more rain to help replenish the sub-soil for next year.  

Ron Wenrich

I just talked to a farmer today.  They missed their first cutting due to too much rain.  It was real cloudy through most of the summer, so they missed quite a bit of growing time on the corn.  Soybeams are about thigh high.

Nipple high soybeans either means really great growth, or really short people.   :D  Waist high is the best I ever seen.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bull

You guys are lucky, I be lucky if  2nd cutting is ready before 1st frost, some guys around here, haven't finished 1st cutting due to the high water table in some fields. I know of only one farm in the area that will be getting a 3rd cutting and thats because he chopped all of 1st cut.. Thankfully i don't have dairy cattle to feed anymore. All our field crop are sold to a local farmer.

Ed_K

The brothers in law are still workin on first cutting here, they mow and run the round baler right behind. Its so far gone by that it 40% dry at cutting. Corn went in on july 1st, up 4'.
 We've had all the rain we need for the next two yrs, even the pond thats dry by may is still full. Wish we could send a little down Arkansawer's way.
 In the last 60 days its rained 47, yuck!!!
Ed K
Ed K

breederman

Did sombody say dust? We haven't seen any since last fall! Lots of hay, most of pretty poor quality, corn depends on if it got planted during the three or for days in may that it didnt rain. Some of that looks good but alot of late planted stuff ain't gonna make it.
Together we got this !

Tobacco Plug

Been mighty wet here this summer.  The cotton and soybeans look good, though.  That pesky hurricane out in the atlantic has me worried, though.  Cotton needs dry weather from about September through harvest in October and November in order to open and stay dry and white.  Still, things look pretty good.  The tobacco crop is decent, but we had more disease than usual due to the wet conditions.  Some folks who had more rain than us and particularly more flooding had poor tobacco this year.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

ksu_chainsaw

i wish our crops were doin good- corn is only yielding about 75-100 bu/ac, our normal is 100-150 bu/ac.  Our beans have bloomed  3-4 times, but the pods have not even started to fill out.  Our county has been put into a severe drought warning, and they have gone far enough to release the CRP to hay or graze.  this past week we have got about 2-3 inches, depending on where you stand, it's been very spotty.  but it's almost too late to help the crops.  we haven't had any good rains since june sometime.  at least we got in a fairly good hay crop, but we started feeding hay 3 weeks ago, and we normally don't start haying until October sometime.

Charles

Haytrader

Charles,

Terrible thing up by Emporia. They got to much water at once, that's for sure.
Haytrader

CHARLIE

Corn and Soybeans looked good up until July. Farmers thought they had a bumper crop going. Then the rains quit. We are over 6.5 inches below average rainfall and the crops are suffering terribly. Aphids have also attacked soybean crops with  a vengence. They've been hiring as many cropdusters as they can find. A bunch of cropdusters coming up here from Texas to help spray.  I saw a farmer chopping his whole corn crop today. That's sad.    
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Sawyerfortyish

We just finished our first cutting hay ten days ago. couldn't get started until mid july and then we made it in the mud we usally are done by july 4th. Tomatos in the garden are rotting before they turn red. Beans got drown and never came up. wettest year I can remember.

Norm

Our corn will probably make the 130-150bu average as we got a lot of rain until early July. Some corn had to be replanted because of wet spots. The soybeans are in pretty sorry shape and the pastures are all dried up. 1st and 2nd cutting of hay was good but the third will be late and small. We thought we got lucky and got a 1/2" of rain a few weeks ago but it came with hail that tore up the corn and beans bad. I think the crops are worse than the futures market is showing but won't know for sure until October.

ksu_chainsaw

i heard that it was a wall of water 5-7' high washing across I-35.  pushed the large concrete dividers that weigh at least 5 tons across the road and into the ditches.  8" of rain in 24 hours is jsut too much for anything to hold it.
  our neighbors chopped everything this year and are still looking for more for cheaper feed.  this is the second year in a row that we have been hit hard by drought and high temperatures, so many farmers are having an extremely hard time breaking even.  
  Hope next year turns around for the better

Charles

Gus

First cutting good around here. Second not so good. No third this year.  All I've got is wild hay good crop but ground is still brown afterwards. Had good early rains then someone shut the spout off.

Corn and beans mostly going south. Too dry :'(

Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Frickman

We've had about five days of sunshine all summer. We made most of the first crop, but about half got rained on. Still have twenty five acres left though, and its mulch hay by now. We made some nice second cutting last week though, but we're way behind, about ten or eleven weeks.

The corn did OK, but not great. It only made it over 80 degrees a few days, so the corn didn't get enough heat. There's some over nine feet tall, but it has real small ears.

You know it's been a wet year when the sawmills run out of logs in July. Some of the mills around here are working three day weeks to conserve what logs they have. It has been just too wet to work. I haven't been in the woods since April.

Frickman
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!