iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Project Pictures

Started by shopteacher, September 02, 2003, 08:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

This is a small hand pump handcar some of you may remember from your youth.  The year before last we built 25 of these on our CNC router.  They were all donated to the Marine Corp. Toys for Tots program at Christmas.  Unfortunatly last year we were having a problem with the CNC and weren't able to contribute. However, this year we're back up and running. My upper level students are each required to construct an item for Toys for Tots. The two second level classes will be building the Irish Hand Car and my third year students are in the process of drawing and tool pathing the necessary components for a wooden rocking horse.  It will be cut from red oak and trimmed in walnut. The hand car is solid oak with vinyl decals cut out by the graphics students. The wheels are oak with a rubber tread laminated to it and screen printed with the school colors.  It's powered by pushing and pulling on the handle which turns an excentric connected to the rear wheel.
   The Marine sent to retrieve the gift came in a mini truck ( guess he tought we only built one) and had to make three trips.  The feedback we got was very pleasing. We were told they were a big hit at the present give away.  I try to instill a little empathy in my students for those who are less fortunate, especially at Christmas.
   The last picture is of myself and the sargent that came to retrieve the carts. Guess which one is the marine?

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Frank_Pender

Again, thank you for being an Educator of young folks. :P 8)
Frank Pender

CHARLIE

Very professional looking toys and for a very good cause. That really gives the students a purpose for their projects. I really like the way you approach that project and your students really did a fine job!  Even down to the silk screening. I'm sure some children enjoyed getting them and I bet some of them will be passed on down through the family and become heirlooms.

The woodturning club I belong to makes toys for Toys for Tots every year. Here is part of my contribution a couple of years ago. I made 20 of these spinning tops. I often wonder who got them and how much they enjoyed them.

I think it's great to be able to make a child smile.  

Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

biziedizie

Shopteacher I've never seen one of them before, they look very cool. :)  Where can I get a copy of the plans???
  I think it's cool that you have your kids making these projects.

Steve

RavioliKid

Oh, my word! Those are beautiful, shopteacher! I would love to have one just to admire the workmanship. If I were a kid and had one to play with, I think I would be in heaven!

Are you hooked up with any service learning programs? I can help you find some information, if you want to work a little more directly on helping you kids develop empathy and a bias towards continuing to help people when they have a choice in the matter.

I didn't know that Toys for Tots accepted hand-made toys. Maybe I'll have my kids make bean bags this year. Third graders can handle a sewing machine with a little one-on-one supervision.
RavioliKid

RavioliKid

Charlie,

Those tops are gorgeous, too!

I thought of you while I was in Africa this summer. I wanted to pick you up a piece of ebony, but when I saw craftsmen working on it, they couldn't speak enough English for me to let them know that I wanted to buy a little piece of the wood, and not the sculpture they were making.

I could send you a piece of the oak that I had cut down in my front yard. About all I have left are pieces of branches for firewood.  :D

(Not exactly an exotic wood.)
RavioliKid

Norm

Cool stuff shopteacher, thanks for showing it to us. These are the kind of lessons that go beyond how to cut wood up.

Neat tops you made Charlie, I like your choice of wood.

Good reminder guys about helping those less fortunate than us. Thanks.

Tom

They have a special place in Heaven for those that help children. :)

I remember those push/pull scooters.  You can really make them fly but you have to watch your feet when you turn or you could get one of them pinched.  That was back when kids were allowed to get hurt and learn not to do it again. :D

Charlie, I always thought you were special, tops or not.

Rav, That tree might deserve being remembered.  You should polish up a stick and put it on the mantle if you don't do anything else.  Be sure you attach a note so folks won't think it is just any old stick.  

It would be and exotic wood if you sent it to Africa. :D

Thank You Sponsors!