iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Holy Cow!  How do you stand it.

Started by Tom, January 16, 2004, 04:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tagerts_crossing

onewithwood / tom, I am a little late getting back to this thread as I check the forum twice a day but do so from work (slow dial up at home),and just sign in as a guest, That way if any one is keeping track of who is goofing off they will need to catch me in the act.  Anyway I love the triumph,  I have a 56-58 650cc Thats black and white sitting in the garage My dad bought it new and rode it to fla. from indiana at that time on the old roads.  The last time it was plated was 1966 but me and my brothers would sneek it out in the summers and ride it on the country roads. till the mid 80's I think I reamber it being called a t110 or tiger or something like that.  It had a decal on it that said world speed record holder 650 class.  Can you guys tell from my decription what the model is or are you as confused as I am.  Thanks John                                                                                                      P.S.  oww good to see the progress on your building I havent been able to saw for a while with the weather and keeping the cows and pigs in fresh feed and water.
John Schoolcraft

OneWithWood

Hey Taggert I am glad you posted again.  I was wondering what became of you.
Normally the bikes that had the decal 'world speed record' were the first Bonnevilles or T120s.  The difference between the Bonnevilles and the T110s is the Bonnie has two carburretors whereas the Tiger has only one.  The decal came about when a T120 set the land speed record at the Bonneville salt flats around 1957.  The speed was somewhere around 220 mph.  The bike ran on alcohol if I remember correctly.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tagerts_crossing

oww,  I will check the carbs and try to move some stuff so I can get a pic. After reading what you said about the alcohol I can remember my uncles telling storyes about my dad runing an asetone mixture in it , but dad was always mum on the subject as he knew we may try something I guess.  ;D ;D :o  Thanks for the quick reply.  John
John Schoolcraft

Tom

Check this site out if you have a little time.  Great pictures and sound files too. :)
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/index.htm

SwampDonkey

@ Percy

Ever been to Queen Charlotte City? I met a man who drove from Millville, NB back in the 50's on a motorbike. I forgot the model and brand. But he owns and operates the Hecate Inn, I don't recall his name.

Here is his website and you can see the bike under his porch. Apparently the place is for sale.

http://www.qcislands.net/hecatein/

enjoy
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tagerts_crossing

Thanks tom   I like the sound files had the kids thinking that someone was coming up the drive on a motorcycle.  I checked the bike and it has one big carb. feeding both cyl.  I asked my brother and he said he thinks its a 1958, and just before the bonnevilles.  John
John Schoolcraft

Tom

The Bonneville's were a road bike to us. Two carburators was a pain in the neck on the dirt track. I guess that is why we didn't see too many of them.  The first I remember was brand new one on Mr. Elder's motorcycle shop floor in 1963. It had a $1200 price tag on it, too much for us. In 1964 a University of Georgia student. who was a member of our Cherokee Cycle Club, bought. it.

The Triumph had the most distinctive sound I'd ever heard.  It was quick to rev, didn't hesitate and when the throttle was released it became almost silent until the momentum of the bike caught up with the engine.  When someone was running through the gears the engine sounded as if it were chirping.

I also rode a Jawa and the mellow sound on that website was truly the way it sounded.  You couldn't hurt the dad-blamed things, but they were strong.  I cleaned the clock of a rider on a Triumph Cub one day in the woods who thought he was going to run all over me. The cub was a 200cc and my Jawa a 125cc.  What he didn't realize was that I could over-rev my bike and run lower gears than he could.  I kept my front wheel on his back wheel and passed on a whim.  Then I would back off and race him a little bit, letting him pass me only to annoy him some more.  It was fun.

pappy

QuoteThe radio announcer came on this morning on my way to work and said that Connecticut was having  
Minus 100 degrees with wind chill factor!!

just a tad of topic are we??  :P

ya must have spikes in dem tires eh??  ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Tom

Naw!   Just twisting it a little bit.  ;D

Stick around, you can talk about snow and ice again in minute. :D :D

pappy

OK that's about ONE minute

It'll be real boring fer what I gots ta say cause it was just "be ut ti full" up here today  :)31.8  "Fair en hite"

me and da Misses stood out on de ice of Eagle Lake (Plasited) ME. That's way up northern Eagle Lake ME that is, and I was almost ready ta take off me Carhart  and the DanG sun went behind a cloud and the wind gave a bit of a kick and I started to think like a groundhog and headed back inta the ice shack fer a toddy instead.  ;D  it's still February up here anyway  ;)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

SwampDonkey

termite

Placing the bic lighter under the mercury thermometer don't count ;). Check the one on the north side of the shack outta the sun.  :D ;D

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sawyerfortyish

Speaking of off topic this thread is five pages long and nobody has mentioned FOOD :o ;D. Okay back to the cold, ice fishing snow and motercycles

Tom

Isn't this the time of year Y'all make Snow Candy?  

I'll bet an ice cream freezer would be fun too.  Just pack the churn in snow.  ;D

pappy

The maple sugar will start to run in about 4 weeks up here.

Maple syrup is considered food ain't it, so that means we got all the bases covered ?  ;D

Furby

MICHIGAN TEMPERATURE CONVERSION CHART (Fahrenheit)

At +70º - Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear. People in Michigan go swimming in the Lakes.

At +60º - North Carolinians start turning on the heat. People in Michigan plant gardens.

At +50º - Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Michigan sunbathe.

At +40º - Italian and English cars won't start. People in Michigan drive with the windows down.

At +30º - Distilled water freezes. Lake Superior's water gets thicker.

At +20º - Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and woolly hats. People in Michigan throw on a flannel shirt.

At +15º - Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat. People in Michigan have the last cookout before it gets cold.

At 0º - People in Miami begin freezing to death... Michiganders lick the flagpole.

At -20º - Californians evacuate to Mexico. People in Michigan get out their winter coats.

At -40º - Hollywood disintegrates. The Girl Scouts in Michigan are selling cookies door to door.

At -60º - Polar bears begin to evacuate the Artic. Michigan Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.

At -80º - Mt. St. Helens freezes. People in Michigan rent some videos.

At -100º - Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Michiganders get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.

At -297º - Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products. Cows in Michigan complain about farmers with cold hands.

At -460º - ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale). People in Michigan start saying, "Cold 'nuff for ya?"

At -500º - Hell freezes over. The Lions win the Super Bowl!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Norm

Now that's funny, thanks Furby. :)

We finally broke above freezing yesterday. Our UPS driver showed up with a long sleeve shirt, no hat, jersey gloves on. Nice stiff wind probably still in the teens wind chill wize. I asked if it was getting warm out and with a big smile he said yep.  ;)

Furby

Yep we got above freezing yesterday AND today! WOW!
I went outside at work and didn't even bother to grab a coat.
After I saw how nice it was out, I made up a few more reasons to go back out.  ;D

They are calling for freezing rain tonight, 3/4" of ice possible. Wow, I DON'T want that!!!!!!!

Swede

"I thought Tom, Charlie and a few others might enjoy this vintage blast from our younger days"  :)  :-*  :):-*  :):-* :)

Perhaps I´ll better go to bed again and have a good dream :)
I love this English MC:s even if they let oil and gas on the ground. Use to say that there is maximum 2 cylinders at a MC or it´s NOT a MC. I had a BSA B-33 from 1953 once. (1 cyl. 500cc.) Could drive at 4:th gear in 20km/h and hear it sucking in and passing the next streetlight ..........WWOPPPPP! A very powerful sound at full gas. Had to turn the ignition later when starting or I get kicked up at the telephone wires. Turning full gas, drop it again and turn down the ignition, then a blue fire from the pipe could blow the pants of anyone standing behind.  ;D ;D ;D Loved to do that in the dark. :D :D

Being 50 i get a CZ-476  from 1974 (15 hp, feels like 5, 125cc. 2-stroke, mostly the same as Jawa) from my brother, sister and my son.
One day I´ll try to find out why it stops after 6km and want a rest for half an hour.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Thank You Sponsors!