iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loader Crane

Started by longtime lurker, September 04, 2016, 05:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtime lurker

Anyone ever run across a Jonsered 1120Z loader crane? I did a quick search and got nothing here and not much by google.

I've been tossing around the idea of putting a crane on a truck for awhile to save shifting a wheel loader into little jobs - I prefer tree length but y'know, sometimes it'd just be easier and more economical to do some as CTL rather then relocate the 966. Anyway this thing has bobbed up for sale and I cant find out much about them.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: longtime lurker on September 04, 2016, 05:49:13 PM
Anyone ever run across a Jonsered 1120Z loader crane? I did a quick search and got nothing here and not much by google.

I've been tossing around the idea of putting a crane on a truck for awhile to save shifting a wheel loader into little jobs - I prefer tree length but y'know, sometimes it'd just be easier and more economical to do some as CTL rather then relocate the 966. Anyway this thing has bobbed up for sale and I cant find out much about them.
i have an old 78 jonsered 240 trailer mount knuckleboom. its a component machine, meaning all jonsered made was the cab and boom, every thing else is just off the shelf hydraulics. it has been a good machine, pilot joy sticks make it handle nice. it just was a little to small for what i handle and i got a barko 275 for most jobs.
they were made in sweden i think, but mine has commercial pump and valves.

Riwaka

Your local Hiab dealer should have the specs on the jonsered 1120Z loader crane.
Adding crane weight to your log truck will reduce the carrying capacity. Exposed seats on truck loader cranes can be uncomfortable at times.
Depends on the type of wood you are working with.
http://www.equipmentguide.co.nz/listings/2003-mercedes-benz-3246   (Buying a used truck with a already crane fitted might be cost competitive against putting on old crane onto a truck.) (I know people who have bought used Aus line haul trucks to NZ)
What is the equipment portfolio?  The other way to go is getting a machine more useful than a 966, a forestry spec converted  excavator - that can shovel, sort and load logs.
http://www.marketbook.ca/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=12062457&LP=MAT  (i.e convert something like this used Hitachi to a forestry spec if nothing pre-converted used is suitable)

longtime lurker

This would be an early 2000's model, circa 2000-2005 or so.

is the load plate off one... multiply the length by 3.3 to get length and the weight by 2 to get pounds for you non metric types, so 3500lb @ 20'for instance. Not a toy, but still not capable of tree length, and it will drop about 2t off the trucks payload.

The object of this exercise isnt to replace the wheel loaders, but to give me a cost effective way of loading logs in smaller quantities when there arent enough of them to justify shifting a loader in and out. I've got no issue with using wheel loaders to load with except "the shift": a 30t excavator  wont lift what a wheel loader can ( and I can stand one on its head often enough) The excavator wouldnt fix the problem because I'd still have to shift it in and out. Not that I wouldnt like another toy though.

plenty of trucks for sale here now: but the grapple/rotator assembly would still need to be purchased and I figure thats got to be 1/2 a ton off the capacity when looking at crane specs. And a second hand crane fitted to the devil I know is still cheaper then a second hand crane on a second hand truck... and I'm kinda half tossing up about mounting the crane on a trailer rather then the prime mover.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!