iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bord ft measurment of cerar cants

Started by Polly, November 12, 2006, 04:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polly

i am sawing cedar cants eight feet long various widtr and thickness and stacking on pallet four feet wide and fourty inches tall what is correct way to measure bd. ft.do i measure each piece seperately or measure the whole stack  which would be 48x 40 x8ft divided by 12 equals bd ft       please advise thanks

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.  :)
If various widths and thicknesses, then likely they are not solid stacked on pallets. So measuring each piece would be the way to do it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

welcome to the forum, Polly.

Beenthere makes a good point and I agree.  The only reason to measure the whole stack would be if  your customer was in agreement.  It leaves too many avenues open for a miss-count though.

If I were your customer, I would appreciate the product being sorted such that, at least, like thickness' were on their own pallet.  It would make his job easier if he is air-drying on stickers.

Ron Wenrich

We routinely saw different thicknesses from the same log in some hardwood species.  For pallet stock, everything is the same size, so we can do a piece count. 

But, for lumber, we often will do a layer count.  The same thickness of lumber will be in the same pack.  The layers are measured for width, and we will take an inch or two off of average width for air space.  You can never stack a layer completely tight.  Then, you just count the layers. 

For example, if your layers are about 41" in width (take 3 or 4 measurements), and you have 15 layers of 2" stock and 8' long, then you'll come up with something like:

40" x 2" x 8' x 15 layers/12 = 800 bf

We use this all the time to get estimates for how much to put on a trailerload of wood without going too far overweight.  We have also sold by this method and it works out to being pretty close.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LOGDOG

Polly,

I used to cut semi-loads of 3 sided cants in WI for pallet boards. I'd sell them to a re-saw/chop shop, they'd resaw them and sell them to their customers. I got paid on actual yield after they went through their horizontal band re-saws. But if I were put on the spot to scale 3-sided cants and we were going to do it piece by piece I'd likely scale to the low side of the round over. Length X Thickness X Height (to the low edge of the round over or the nearest inch rounding up if it's over the half inch mark -this allows for some wane).

Now if the cants are 4 sided that's easy. Seperate stacks of each dimension. Each stack has so many pieces, with so many board feet in each piece gives you your total. In the case of 4 sided cants I would not make any deductions for his "future kerf". Hope this helps.

LOGDOG

Polly

thanks for the advise the reason i ask i recently took my customer a bdl of cants that had four or five different sizes in it i had figured bd ft in each size dropping any thing over afull bd ft and mulplied the number of pc in that size  i did this to each size and then i added my totals by dropping the amounts over a full bd ft in each size i lost a chunk of money  to make matters worse  i bet my customer my figures were accurate guess what with all the math envolved  i made one mistake if you all have not figured it out by now i am frome ky ha ha  thats my reason for measuring the full stack and allowing for the air gaps in stack and averaging my width and heigh measurment which would be fairly easy and a lot more accurate with me doing the figuring  i did do real good in sohool my 2nd grade teacher liked me so well she kept me 2yrs

beenthere

Quote from: Polly on November 12, 2006, 10:13:08 PM
..................i did do real good in sohool my 2nd grade teacher liked me so well she kept me 2yrs

:D :D    Good one Polly   ;)   We're gonna enjoy havin you aroun here.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!