iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS280

Started by larrypac, July 17, 2013, 11:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrypac

I bought a Stihl MS280 for $10 at a yard sale.  Has good compression.  It will fire up with starting fluid but not keep running.  I put fresh gas in it and cleaned  the air filter which was quite dirty.  Any suggestions for what I should do next?  Larry

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. You've come to a great place for help, and look forward to hearing more about you too.
For sure, forget the starting fluid. Put some mixed fuel down the spark plug hole and try to start. If it runs a bit, then check to see why it isn't getting fuel...  bad line, plugged fuel pickup in tank... could be a number of things.
Tell us a bit more about what you have done so far.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

larrypac

I took out the plug and it was a bit carbon-ed up and oily but not bad.  Will get a new plug next time I go to town.  Cleaned air filter which was dirty.  Tried to check the spark arrestor screen but despite what the manual says it does not have one.   That is about all.  I don't have much experience with two stoke engines but am not afraid to take things apart and often i get them back together.  thanks, larry

motors656

sounds like a carburator problem, i would pick up a carb rebuild kit from your local stihl dealer or small engine shop which run for about $10 and go through your carb clean all the fuel passages and replace gaskets, how ever it could aslo be your fuel line and impulse line. they tend to deteriorate after sitting for a long period of time.

AdkStihl

The 270 and 280 were known for poor av mounts. This puts strain on the intake boot and/or impulse line.
Intake boot issues are common among the 2 for this reason.

I don't care what others will say about this but......don't use starting fluid . It washes the oil film from the piston and cylinder. If youre going to bottle feed it, use mix in a spray bottle.
J.Miller Photography

ladylake

Replace the fuel line and filter, clean the carb. The MS280 sure is built a lot better than some Stihl models.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

larrypac

" it could aslo be your fuel line and impulse line. they tend to deteriorate after sitting for a long period of time."  What is an impulse line?

Ianab

Quote from: larrypac on July 22, 2013, 05:48:26 AM
" it could aslo be your fuel line and impulse line. they tend to deteriorate after sitting for a long period of time."  What is an impulse line?

It's a little rubber hose that runs between the crank case and carburettor. It's made of similar material to the fuel line, so it deteriorates the same. It's purpose is to push pulses of air into the carb and help it pump fuel. If it's messed up, the saw wont start.

Either way, it sounds like a carb / fuel problem. Get a carb rebuild kit, new fuel and impulse lines and fuel filter. Fit them (cleaning all the crap out that the same time). Exactly which part is causing the problem isn't so important, it's one of them, they are all the same age, and probably ready to fail. They are not expensive parts, do them all while you have the saw apart, and it should be good for years. Mess about, just it running, and the fuel line fails next month, then the impulse line, etc. You will be cursing it every time you try and use it.

To get a saw shop to do this work costs, maybe $50 in parts, but $150 in labour. Maybe more than the saw is worth. But $50 in parts, and a Sat afternoon of your time gets you a good saw for ~$60, so it's worth doing.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

larrypac

Thanks for your input and time.  The saw pulled really hard and I am 64 with a torn rotator cuff so i decided to part it out.  It is woth maybe $100 in parts on Ebay.  My problem now is separating the clutch from the crankshaft.  I have already split the case and removed the cylinder head.  Any hints about getting the clutch off, or should it have been done before I split the case?  Thanks, Larry

sawdusty1

Air impact wrench will get it off.  It is left hand thread.
Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

jd2007

Shame to part it out when if was running off of starter fluid, sounds like a carburetor issue.  Cleaning the carburetor or replacing the fuel line might've fixed it.  A running chainsaw could have been sold for more then its worth parting it out in most cases.  Good luck in parting it out!
Stihl 029S/039, MS280, MS250
Craftsman 4218

Thank You Sponsors!