iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DanG

Started by DragonsBane, November 26, 2005, 11:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonsBane

Did you ever think of replacing that Volswagen with a Wisconsin. The V465D Wisconsin 4 cylinder is rated at 66 horse at 3600 RPM. Should be more than enough power for your MD.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object envinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

De Opresso Liber.

DanG

No, actually I hadn't thought of that.  I don't know much about them.  I have some pretty tough requirements.  The engine must be lightweight because it rides on  a long beam that won't support a heavy engine.  Whatever I select, if I make a change, has gotta be cheap.  I recently bought 4 Chevy Geos for $500.  2 of them are junkers, one will be a driver with a little work, and the other has a rebuildable engine.  I'm remotely considering re-doing it for the mill, but I haven't studied the feasability of using it yet.  The fuel injection issue would be something that would have to be overcome.

I appreciate the suggestion, and I'll certainly look into it. :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

Light weight is not one the Wisconsin's strength's. It is all cast iron and a mother to lift but I would prefer it as a mill engine over the Volkswagen. Much better suited for high rpm, heavy load operation.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ScottAR

A geo shouldn't be too bad to hook up.  You'd need the high pressure fuel pump,  Go through the wiring and chop off everything that's not engine related.
Mounting the radiator and plumbing and fabing a cover for the motor would be the harder parts...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Percy

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 27, 2005, 11:02:43 AM
Light weight is not one the Wisconsin's strength's. It is all cast iron and a mother to lift but I would prefer it as a mill engine over the Volkswagen. Much better suited for high rpm, heavy load operation.
No kidding. I had the 35 hp on my old LT40 and it was as heavey as Rosanne after an all-u-can-eat buffet :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Coon

Quote from: DanG on November 27, 2005, 10:28:40 AM
No, actually I hadn't thought of that. I don't know much about them. I have some pretty tough requirements. The engine must be lightweight because it rides on a long beam that won't support a heavy engine. Whatever I select, if I make a change, has gotta be cheap. I recently bought 4 Chevy Geos for $500. 2 of them are junkers, one will be a driver with a little work, and the other has a rebuildable engine. I'm remotely considering re-doing it for the mill, but I haven't studied the feasability of using it yet. The fuel injection issue would be something that would have to be overcome.

I appreciate the suggestion, and I'll certainly look into it. :) :)

The 3 cylinder geo engine weighs 93 lbs (dry weight).  That does not include the radiator and any other things. :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Shawn

This could be done just like scottAR said. Use all parts in vehicle now. Fuel Pump, Etc. Keep the trans housing on engine because thats where starter mounts to. Or even modify it to mount starter to engine. Also, your going to want to install the biggest radiator you can find at your local junk yard thats in good shape. While the engine is at 1500 RPM's going down the freeway, the radiator fan is usless. It's the 55 mph air thats cooling the engine coolant.  Good Luck! 
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

Modat22

how heavy is the VW motor? the wisconsin is around 300 pounds give or take. The wisconsin motor hp rating is pretty conservative as well.
remember man that thy are dust.

DragonsBane

Some of the problems I see in using the Geo engine are:

1. the water cooling. Just the thought of trying to get it all mounted and keeping it in as small a package as possible is giving me a headache just thinking about it. And radiators are easily damaged in rough use and conditions.

2. the fuel injection. Some fuel injection systems use the speedo to control some functions. The O2 sensor would need to stay. Not to mention the price of fixing it when it decides to go south.

3. the computer. most have a real dislike to heavy vibration and areas where they are subjected to anything but clean, dry conditions.

I'm not saying it won't work, but I really think it would be more trouble then it's worth. Especially when there are more suitable options in my mind. This is just my opinion, i may be right or I may be wrong. It's your mill, use what you have available.

Later,
Mike 
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object envinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

De Opresso Liber.

DragonsBane

This is the engine I was talking about.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Wisconsin-V465D-Gas-LP-LNG-fueled-Engine_W0QQitemZ7565650327QQcategoryZ63949QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is rated at 66 horse @ 3600 rpm on unleaded fuel.

Later,
Mike

De Opresso Liber.

Modat22

Quote from: DragonsBane on November 29, 2005, 07:19:04 PM
This is the engine I was talking about.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Wisconsin-V465D-Gas-LP-LNG-fueled-Engine_W0QQitemZ7565650327QQcategoryZ63949QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is rated at 66 horse @ 3600 rpm on unleaded fuel.

Later,
Mike

Thats a good motor, My dad used to work on them at a rental place. They where in a few skid steers

DanG

I'm sure it is a fine engine, but did you note the shipping weight?  650 pounds!  Just a bit much for the beam on my mill, I'm afraid. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Modat22

The shipping weight probably includes the crate or pallet.

DanG

I don't know what the "for sure" weight of the VW is, but I'm thinking it's about 240 lbs.  I can't imagine that the pallet would weigh more than the engine.  The beam this thing rides on is pretty fragile.  I got called to task because it had a 5 gal. fuel tank instead of a 2 gal. :o :D :D

Modat22

Quote from: DanG on November 30, 2005, 08:29:14 PM
I don't know what the "for sure" weight of the VW is, but I'm thinking it's about 240 lbs.  I can't imagine that the pallet would weigh more than the engine.  The beam this thing rides on is pretty fragile.  I got called to task because it had a 5 gal. fuel tank instead of a 2 gal. :o :D :D

Yep your right, just looked up the specs. that 65 hp wisconsin weighs 540 pounds.

Thank You Sponsors!