iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Three phase bandmill

Started by bandmiller2, February 28, 2010, 05:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I am converting my home built bandmill from a two cylinder Wisconsin gas engine to three phase.Was hopeing to go 20 HP but a friend just dropped of a dandy Baldor 15 HP 1760 RPM motor.The LT-70 electric I operated had a 25 HP and really more power than needed.I think what I'll do is run the hyd. pump with a seperate motor and use the 15 for the band only.I have 19" bandwheels and the wisconsin handled the band and pump OK thats around 16 HP at the speed I was running it. What are your thoughts ,enough power?? [yea I know never enough] Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Puffergas

My home made mill had 7 hp single phase. That was kind of small. Sawed slow and liked to over heat at least that's what I thought. Did have to have it rebuilt once. Not sure how fast you want to saw and what size logs but for average sawing I would think 15 hp electric would be OK.

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

bandmiller2

I was just looking at the woodmizer site their LT-70 has either 51HP diesel or 25 HP three phase.Thats telling me more than likely 15HP three phase would to the deed on my smaller mill. Frank C.

Norm

The early electric mills from WM had a 15hp 3 phase. Electric Al on here runs one commercially and seems to do pretty well with it.

bandmiller2

Norm thanks thats good news.I've even found the sheave in stock to give me the 5000 feet per minute band speed.Frank C.

ElectricAl

Frank you'll do fine with the Baldor 15 hp. That is what we have used for years. It's not too often we run out of power. Just listen to the blade.

Keep the drive belts tight. Electric motors don't bog down, they pull more amps until it stalls.
A double belt that has a common back works the best.  Good Year or Browning  "BX" series. 

The biggest issue you'll face is, do you let the blade spin while not sawing, clutch it and burn a spot in the belt, or shut the motor off.  There are draw backs to each.

Have fun sawing.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Norm

On our electric mill we do not clutch it, just let it run or shut off the motor. The belts are expensive and a real pain to change.

bandmiller2

LectricAL,I know what you mean I was the sawyer on an LT-70 for a spell used to shutdown and restart the three phase many times ,didn't like to do it but for safety and bandlife reasons.My bandmill now has a belt idler that works well,going to try it with the motor,but as you say its hard on belts,especially with a larger sheave on the motor,easier to slip around a small pulley.Us millers don't live in a perfect world,thanks Al. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!