iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log trailers ???

Started by BargeMonkey, October 27, 2018, 07:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

I've been looking at a couple used trailers, looked at 2x Deloupes and an Altec, really bigger than I want and they have been thrashed. Anyone on here running a Pitts or Kaufman trailer ? I'm thinking about having them build me a new one with a 3rd lift on a 42' 6 bunk and be done with it. Been 3yrs haggling back and forth on this KW and they finally came down, put a head on it, some paint and send it to work, I'm working out of town enough now to justify it, I've got a Fontaine with bunks but it's been thrashed.

mike_belben

Every manufactured log trailer i have gotten close enough to see here has been a pitts.  The rest are mostly cobbled old flatbeds with shop made short bunks. 

What motor/trans/suspension in the kw?
Praise The Lord

mills

Most of the true log trailers that have come up for sale in my area have come up from the south. They were worn out when they headed north, got completely trashed, and then got a "only drove it to church on Sunday" price put on it.  ;D  The others are like Mike said, cobbled together worn out flatbeds.

dsroten

I've only seen one Kaufman, and it was a brand new trailer.  Looked sharp and was well built, but unfortunately for the owner I was looking at the underside of it after the driver taking a curve too fast and spilling it over the bank.  No I didnt do it.  

barbender

We've had a few Kaufman trailers make it to the northland, 1 lowboy and 2 rail trailers I'm aware of. The lowboy trailer I did not hear a good report on, it seemed like the really low price of the trailer showed in lighter materials and such- it was really underbuilt and had to be reinforced after a year running, for a logging outfit that has 4 pieces of equipment 🙄 I haven't heard anything about the wood hauling trailers.
Too many irons in the fire

Skeans1

We had a bunk 4 bunk 2 axle Pitts for a few years till the roads up here narrowed up them and it couldn't follow good enough like a reach trailer. In the time we had it, it never gave us any issues.

sawguy21

I didn't expect to see another logger with that paint scheme, my buddy's kid has a Pete with red rigging. Pretty distinctive ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

BargeMonkey

A customer of mine runs the yard for a big company in NJ, the pictures of the trucks and iron they have parked out back as "junk" would make alot of us shake our heads. I think it's going to need a head and hopefully not an inframe, I wouldnt even go look at it till I knew I could buy it CHEAP. 3406E, 18sp, 20/46 on air, 99' with 234k. 
 I've heard alot of guys say they are welding on the southern trailers alot, wasnt sure who on here had been around them. That Deloupe isnt far from me, the guy made the mistake of telling me what he paid for it and then tried to make 300%, I've been letting him stare at it for quite a while now. 

What are those older trailers really worth ? 
 That Pitts seemed like a nice trailer, the guys who trucked for me this spring had that and didnt have bad to say about it. 

snowstorm

plenty of used trailers up here for sale or there is at least 2 outfits that will build whatever you want

Bruno of NH

Don't Pelatiers in Maine make log trailers?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

bushmechanic

Too bad your not closer to Newfoundland there Barge there's going to be a Ritchie Bros auction in Springdale on the 9th of November. A few nice trailers there 2016 BWS, quad axle, air ride 48 ft. You could get a good deal with the difference on the dollar.

Skeans1

Can you guys run the style of trailer like we do out here? Or like BC with Jeep and hop up trailer?

Maine logger88

Quote from: Bruno of NH on October 28, 2018, 03:14:18 PM
Don't Pelatiers in Maine make log trailers?
Yeah they bought out valley trailers in ft Kent and now manufacture trailers. Stairs in hodgdon also makes trailers they are the 2 most common in Maine 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BargeMonkey

It's going to need to be gone thru, I will put new rubber / brakes, needs a little welding but not bad, went and looked at it this afternoon. My mechanic is going to go look it over but I think I bought this one today, it's an older Deloupe but the price seemed really really right 🤣 

Oliver05262

I would say a X2 for the Stairs trailers. Several around here running every day making miles and money.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Thank You Sponsors!