iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Show us your stash

Started by T Welsh, October 01, 2011, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

I love seeing pictures of peoples private stash of logs! I,ll start off by posting my stash of walnut and cherry logs,bottom picture is just the work pile of everything else. jump in guy,s and lets see the best stash!!! Tim

eastberkshirecustoms

I'm jealous! All I have is pine.

zopi

My stash sucks...pine that is about gone and some cypress that may or may not be worth sawing...and a few odds and ends...the funny thing is, the good stuff is in a clients yard...probably go saw that monday evening...white oak cedar amd a little piece of maplw that ought to be firewood.... lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

T Welsh

zopi, don,t feel bad,the walnut and cherry pile has been growing for about 2 years now. that,s the last time I got to saw for myself! the good part of it a year before that I got about 2500bf put up and into my best friends barn and can work with it now! and guy,s don,t feel bad about showing pine or spruce, I would dye for a couple of good clean pines right now! its all about the native woods where you live! Tim

Brucer

This is what my "stash" looked like last year in the middle of the summer. The pile in the background is about 40 cubic metres of Douglas-Fir. The truck is unloading another 45 cubic metres. That translates into about 25,000 BF of timbers and lumber -- 52' logs, 12" to 16" tops. The "stash" is constantly turning over as I bring in 3 to 5 truckloads a year.

I'm down to 35 cubic metres right now and hopefully will saw through another 25 metres by the time the snow flies.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

zopi

Yeah...but sometimes what is native sucks..lol...I just went through pennsylvania the other day...if I had a chainsaw and sawmill with me I would not have left...walnut, cherry and oak, oh my!
Oh...I do have three pretty good sized persimmons...pretty fruitwood...took them out of a lady's yard for her...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DR Buck

Here's my stash....  

My problem is finding time to mill it.  

White Pine

Cedar

Knarley Maple and Walnut

Pine, Maple, Beech, Red Oak

White Oak, red Oak, Poplar, Cedar, Walnut

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

T Welsh

This is the great thing about seeing other peoples log piles, diversity! I would love to have some Doug fir to play with  that Brucer has, and Dr buck,some nice crazy big stuff with plenty of character. Zopi, I live in eastern PA, and yes we do have all the oak,walnut and cherry that any body would want. every so often I will keep a veneer quality log and saw it up for my own stash, but most get sold to mills,I always try to get the most out of any log that we get.I usually cut regular saw logs for my self and let the rest pay to play. keep up the pictures guys, love the logs and machines. Tim

T Welsh

Some walnut and cherry getting broke down,stickered and stacked. Tim

paul case

my stash in the past.

those are mostly post(white) oak and red oak. i thought i had some pics of sycamore that came in last summer, but i couldnt find them.

i kinda get tired of just oak. we have lots of it. every once in a while we get something different. i keep getting promises of a few hedge(osage orange) to saw. most of our native logs seem to be full of defects and not all that big. i have been cutting in some woods in a small wet weather creek bottom and i have had to jump butt almost every tree about 2 sticks of firewood to get a good end to start with. i did find a nice little green ash tree that made 2 10' logs yesterday. that sure cut easy compared to post oak.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

shelbycharger400

spruce and white pine, red cedar
under the pile is some red oak

i have other piles of stuff 2 ft to 6 ft of oak, elm, and ash in another pile

pigman

DR. Buck, I hope you know that logs are not like fine wines, they do not need to be aged. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

T Welsh

pigman, I always thought the older the vintage the better!! (what do I know I drink beer)  Tim

whitepe

not my stash... but my friend's step son's stash.   Nearly all of these logs had been sold to timber buyers in Japan and China.  Note the sea crate in one of the photos.
The pile behind the pickup truck was the "rejects" that were sold to folks for firewood.   This guy's nephew in an entirely unrelated venture owned a block buster firewood processor
and over the summer between his sophomore and junior years in high school split and sold over 40 semi loads of firewood into the chicago area market.  He was also a high school
basketball player and he ran over 1000 miles that summer as his day would start at 5 AM with a 10 mile run before he would start working on the firewood.   I saw him
play a basketball game once.  His team was behind by 15 points going into the final quarter.  At 5' 7" He was blazingly fast and scored 19 or 20 points in the last quarter by himself to tie the game and take it to overtime.
sadly they lost in overtime because he fouled out of the game in overtime.
No one on his team was over 6 feet tall and they did that against a team with a front line that averaged 6' 3" tall.   He was the most amazing high school basketball player I ever saw.
He dropped out of high school his last year to start his own business, I should say businesses.  He has been incredibly successful at that.   High school was just an inconvenience
for him in becoming a business man.  I have never seen a young man with such an incredible work ethic. 

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

T Welsh

whitpe, you have me drooling over all the white oaks in the first picture. sad to see them go into cans, but that is the market and they pay premium dollars. I would love to start seeing all the good stuff stay here in America and be processed by Americans!

kelLOGg

The next pine on the rollway will be rafters for the sawshed.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

T Welsh

Bob,what ya gona do with the cedars in front of the pines? we dont get any cedars that are big enough around here to even think about putting on the mill. I would love to have some cedars to add to my stash. Tim

kelLOGg

Tim,
They are going to be siding for a shed. I have cut all the standing dead cedar around me so I had to buy these. I estimate 1200 bd ft of siding (2 logs have already been cut) for which I paid ~$90. Not too bad for a rapidly urbanizing area.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

T Welsh

Bob, No that,s not a bad $, I have been in your neck of the woods, we stay at a friends sisters house when we come down the bike races at VIR. nice area. Tim

Quebecnewf

Here is my stash from last winter on their way home to the mill. This is about 160 rather small spruce and fir. Still don't have them all sawed too many other things to do.

Maybe next week after moose hunting is over

Quebecnewf

Magicman

Maybe you will have them sawn before it's time to fell and bunch next year's.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

zopi

The pied piper of logs....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

T Welsh

You dont have to worry about them drying out and checking :D. Tim

ljmathias

I like to keep my stash "on the hoof" as it were... up right and still breathing.   :D  Only problem is, that limits me to mostly SYP and a few odds and ends of hardwoods.  Such is life for the part-timer...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

leroyC

I'm new here. this is my stash of tree length cypress. 

Woodmizer LT40 super, clark 6000 lb forklift, prentice knuckleboom loader, stihl 026
Full time sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!