iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing white oak

Started by millwright, November 27, 2011, 07:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millwright

I will soon be getting some white oak logs to saw. These have been cut for about 1 year, most are about 16 to 22 inches dia. and about 20 ft. long. The customer wants mainly full length 4x6 and 4x8s for hay wagon beds, I will be cutting these frozen most likely, any advice and suggestions would be appreciated, I will be sawing these on a WM lt 35. thanks.

ladylake

Get yourself some 4 or 7* blades, they should cut fine, normal set works good.  With 20' long you will run across stress when slabbing off 4 to 8 " , if you want them to be staight and accurate you'ld have to saw oversize the true them up but for hayrack stringers it doesn't matter.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Frozen logs? Where you from Millwright?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

millwright

All I have for blades is 10 degree, but figured I would need to order some 4 degree for fozen hardwood.

millwright

Im from northern WI where everthing is frozen for about 2/3rds of the year.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

red oaks lumber

wow, i live in northern wis. nothin froze yet. 1 yr old white oak wont freeze solid for awhile. i saw all winter using 9 deg. blades.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

bandmiller2

Millwright,not to worry I find I can cut oak more accurate than pine.Outher than the weight of oak I'd rather cut it than pine.As ladylake Steve said try some 4 or7 degree bands.Those logs should be reasonably stable but a little more abrasive to teeth than when green. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Same here, I'd rather cut oak than pine. Pine cuts like butter but then hits those hard knots when I'm sawing too fast and makes little ripples, it takes a sharp blade, quite a bit of set and dont get carried away with the feed speed to saw perfectly straight.
Sure 9 or 10* blades will saw WO but 7 or 4* will saw it faster and straighter.   Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

terrifictimbersllc

IMO if you want your wide cuts to be as flat as possible I'd get some 4s  to add to your 10s. If you're breaking the logs down to your oversize 4x6 and 4x8's, and then trimming these to actual sizes you could probably do fine with just 10s.  But very much doubt you'll be happy with cuts over 12" wide in frozen white oak with 10s.    I've sawed for many years with just 10's and 9's and no doubt I would put on a 9 for frozen 18-22" white oak.  But I haven't had 4s until recently and just based on using two of them am thinking they'd be superior to 9's for flat wide cuts in frozen white oak.   
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WH_Conley

Just make sure it is froze all the way through.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!