iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill "bargains"

Started by stavebuyer, December 05, 2011, 05:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

I visited a used sawmill equipment website today and the lumber market seems to be forcing alot of people to sell. Used to be name brand bandmills kept a pretty good re-sale value. Looks like re-sale values have dropped even more than lumber.

red oaks lumber

with the economy being tanked for 5 yrs going on 6. there is so much iron for sale if you look around stuff is bringing pennies on the dollar. ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

NMFP

A few years ago, I went to a large furniture plant sale and a Challoner tennoner that would sell new for about 60k went for $350.  The guy that bought it said he could have paid 4 times that and still made money.  The shame was, everything he purchased went for scrap.   Sad times I am affraid!!

Larry

I've been to couple of auctions this year where new hydraulic mills (less than 100 hours) sold for half price.  Even the small manual mills are having trouble bringing good money.

I bought a made in the USA big Champion air compressor few weeks ago...for peanuts.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SPIKER

my local CL has a sawmill for 4500 on it but looks like it is well used.   my old boss has a norwood up as well but wants 5K for it.   both been for sale for along while, been looking for anice used 80Gal compressor 5~7.5HP units but all I'm finding are low cost home owner stuff that is not worth asking prices.
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

rph816

This is the economy where you can get a lot for a little.  You comment on $5K for little manual mills.  For twice the money you can get 10 times the mill with all hydraulics, etc.  As Warren Buffet says (paraphrased), when others are fearful, get greedy.  I have used the downturn to stock up on (woodworking) machines that I couldn't otherwise afford.  It's some risk, but you won't ever see lower prices.

Ryan

AvT

Prices for equipment have been going down here in Canada for quite some time.  The Canadian dollar has been strengthening for quite a few years and now the downturn has made American made products even more affordable.  I have purchased quite a few pieces of new equipment over the last few years at what seemed like bargain prices.
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Thank You Sponsors!