iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Speed drying/seasoning American Hornbeam?

Started by malignity, October 29, 2015, 11:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derhntr

Ever thought about using service berry? Don't laugh it is stronger than blue beach or Hop Hornbeam as we call it here in Michigan. Indians used to use it for arrows.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

GAB

Quote from: Jemclimber on November 03, 2015, 12:39:01 PM
American hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana) and Eastern hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) are two different trees. I've heard both called ironwood and other names which can lead to confusion.

Quote from: GAB on October 30, 2015, 08:11:21 PM
I'd like to know where you get the idea that Hornbeam doesn't get above 4" really in diameter.  I harvested an eastern hophornbeam on my property that was 51' in circumference at breast height.  It sawed nice, but I had to slow down a bit.
Gerald

The only trees in the US that get 16feet in diameter are the ones on the west coast. I can believe 51" (inches) circumference (~4' diameter) so I'm assuming it's just a typo?

I just saw my mistake.  Got the right key - failed to hold the shift key at the same time.  I did mean 51" which is about 16" in diameter.
Sorry about that.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Deese

Here is a pic of some American hornbeam or Hophornbeam that I cut for firewood a month or two back...It was left in a clearcut.
You can see how thin the bark is in this pic....pretty good size trees in this particular spot too.

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Al_Smith

Iron wood makes a real good mallet .Hard as a rock it is.

I've never seen a big one maybe 8-10 - 12 inch max.

serg

Friends, hello!
I share the experience of drying and thermal hornbeam 175 C.
I made a square-drying, no vacuum. The temperature of 75 C for 20 days. Moisture exits the chamber portion remains in the chamber. No fan in the chamber.
Gets hornbeam moisture 6%. 12 time to make the temperature of 175 C.
Tanned hornbeam, density 946 kg.m3 beautiful. King, rock hornbeam thermowood! Decking, facade board atmosphere. It replaces part of the African forest. The chamber volume of 25 m3.
Sawing hornbeam firewood. I did hornbeam marketable product. White became dark brown on all thickness of the product.
Sorry for bad English. Sergey.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: GAB on November 01, 2015, 07:46:30 PM
Dang & malignity:
Thanks for the replies.
Based on the picture it is definitely a different tree.
I wonder if the tree shown in malignity's picture is the same type of tree as to what we refer to as a musclewood tree?
Gerald

Yes it is.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: derhntr on January 19, 2016, 11:24:58 AM
Ever thought about using service berry? Don't laugh it is stronger than blue beach or Hop Hornbeam as we call it here in Michigan. Indians used to use it for arrows.

The grain tends to spiral a bit to,  so I don't know if that would effect it's use or actually add desirability. Seen a movie or two with a staff or walking stick with spiral grain. So maybe.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Sergey
Good to hear from you, and get an update on your drying experiences.
You are doing quite a bit better with your English too.
Keep up the good work and keep in touch.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 28, 2016, 05:16:01 AM
Quote from: GAB on November 01, 2015, 07:46:30 PM
Dang & malignity:
Thanks for the replies.
Based on the picture it is definitely a different tree.
I wonder if the tree shown in malignity's picture is the same type of tree as to what we refer to as a musclewood tree?
Gerald

Yes it is.

Musclewood is Hornbeam (sometimes called Blue Beech).

Hophornbeam is another species. The bark looks quite different, not "Beech-like" at all.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Serg - that is some beautiful looking wood. I wish we had someone doing that sort of treatment in my area.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

We had an old Englishman for dendrology. Instead of using a text written for Canadian trees he chooses a foreign one. Every old timer up here that has experience in the woods called hop-hornbeam just that. But what does he do, he calls it ironwood. And we know how that works, comply or be accused of the wrong answer. LOL :D

Clark

Quote from: John Mc on December 27, 2015, 10:20:21 AM
  • Eastern Hophornbeam (also known as Ironwood or Leverwood, and at least in my area as "Hardhack") The bark is light brown or light grayish-brown in thin flakey/scaly strips or ridges (my son used to call it "baby shagbark hickory", though it's not that shaggy). IT grows mainly in rich or open woods, slopes and ridges having dry, gravely soil. The wood is very close-grained, heavy, and very strong. It was also used for tool handles, wedges (for directional tree felling), and makes great firewood. In the past it was used to make trip stakes on logging trucks, and wagon tongues for horse-drawn wagons.

Bar none, the best common name I have ever heard for Ostrya virginiana. I'm calling it baby shagbark from now on.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

From the US Forest Service

Ostrya carpinifolia ... European hophornbeam
Ostrya chisosensis ... Big Bend hophornbeam, Chisos hophornbeam
Ostrya knowltonii ... ironwood, Knowlton hop hornbeam, western hophornbeam, wolf hophornbeam

Ostrya virginiana* ... American hophornbeam, deerwood, eastern hophornbeam, hardhack, hornbeam, ironwood, leverwood, Ostria

* commercially important
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

SwampDonkey

When it is young and still a little whip, it can be confused with a yellow birch before YB takes on the golden yellow bark. Had a couple neighbor's  kids who planted trees from school in their father's yard. Wanted to know what kind of tree. Oh they knew, it was a test the forester thing. But so didn't I know what it was. Little rascals. :D

John Mc

Quote from: Clark on January 28, 2016, 11:10:51 PM
Quote from: John Mc on December 27, 2015, 10:20:21 AM
  • Eastern Hophornbeam (also known as Ironwood or Leverwood, and at least in my area as "Hardhack") The bark is light brown or light grayish-brown in thin flakey/scaly strips or ridges (my son used to call it "baby shagbark hickory", though it's not that shaggy). IT grows mainly in rich or open woods, slopes and ridges having dry, gravely soil. The wood is very close-grained, heavy, and very strong. It was also used for tool handles, wedges (for directional tree felling), and makes great firewood. In the past it was used to make trip stakes on logging trucks, and wagon tongues for horse-drawn wagons.

Bar none, the best common name I have ever heard for Ostrya virginiana. I'm calling it baby shagbark from now on.

Clark

I really got a kick out of that one as well. Despite my best efforts, the name has not replaced "Hardhack" as the nickname of choice around here.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Note that American hornbeam is from an entirely different genus and species...Carpinus Caroliniana.

Common, and not too common, names include
American hornbeam, blue beech, broomwood, hophornbeam, ironwood, musclewood, o-tan-tahr-te-weh, smoothbark ironwood, water beech

A great source for such info and also properties and processing info is the U S FOREST service book  www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr83.pdf
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Clark

Quote from: John Mc on January 29, 2016, 06:57:23 AMI really got a kick out of that one as well. Despite my best efforts, the name has not replaced "Hardhack" as the nickname of choice around here.

You keep working on the east end of it's range, I'll start in on the west and hopefully it will meet in the middle.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!