iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone actually used a Tajfun mobile tower yarder?

Started by KiwiBro, April 30, 2015, 06:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiBro

For small outfits, maybe thinning or sensitive harvesting areas, steep areas, etc, could this cute wee skyline be of use?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc9fMyXrg4

http://www.tajfun.com/moz/

I would imagine it is not cheap, but am keen to find someone who actually uses one. Would be great to get some sort of review.
Max characters: 300

Ed_K

70 k and they haven't started importing them yet. The salesman I bought my tajfun winch has to go over to the factory to be trained before he can sell them here.
Ed K

KiwiBro

What are Koller's 300-series yarder worth in comparison, and has anyone experience with those? I was reading a study done that suggested a wee Koller in a thinning operation will land about 6m3 per hour of actual up-hill operation. Obviously so many variables can differ but I'd really like to learn more real-world reviews of these things and especially the trailerised, tractor PTO powered models.

enigmaT120

Does anybody still just use a standing tree by the landing, after limbing it up as far as needed?

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

KiwiBro

Ed_K

I do that a lot to bunch trees on a steep hill,work good.
Ed K

thenorthman

Quote from: KiwiBro on April 30, 2015, 11:55:51 PM
What are Koller's 300-series yarder worth in comparison, and has anyone experience with those? I was reading a study done that suggested a wee Koller in a thinning operation will land about 6m3 per hour of actual up-hill operation. Obviously so many variables can differ but I'd really like to learn more real-world reviews of these things and especially the trailerised, tractor PTO powered models.

I've asked around about em a few times... older used 301s go from 5-17k trailered or truck mounted.  What I've heard is they do good on thinning and smaller dia stuff, not so much on the bigger production timber we get out here, probably ideal for the loblolly and what not on the east coast (yer guyzez timber is cut kinda small... just sayin...) Though really its more flat ground there anyway... and a yarder is kinda overkill.

Though two guys can keep a small yarder going all day and make pretty good production.

Koller has larger versions as well the 500's and 600's both are high production rigs, but take larger trucks to move em in and out. Like a single axle dump truck or flat bed would move em, where as the larger like madil or skagit yarders take a low boy and chase cars.

The 300 can  be set up and moved by a 3/4-1 ton truck with ease.

Quote from: enigmaT120 on May 04, 2015, 03:40:44 PM

Not as often as I used too... now I mostly use a stump, since its usually just one or 2 logs need pulled out and its not worth to effort to set up a spar. 

Of course now that I've said that the next job will be 200' down in a hole... and it will be nothing but spar pole work.
Does anybody still just use a standing tree by the landing, after limbing it up as far as needed?

well that didn't work

KiwiBro

Thanks for this info. Much appreciated.

The pricing of the used Koller 300's seems a fair bit cheaper than I thought.
Another thought was updating my tractor PTO skidding winch to a bigger, double drum unit and either trying to work out a way to mount a hydraulic tower to it, or just mount the whole lot (pto winch and tower) on a trailer but make the winch removable so I can hook it back up to tractor when don't need the tower.

Certainly not for big logs, but at the price of that Tajfun, I'd be expecting more capacity than it seems to handle, especially in the sorts of scenarios I'd need it for.

KiwiBro

What do we know about the Valentini yarders? They seem to have been around long enough to have ironed out any kinks, and by the looks of it they have plenty of experience in steep terrain (like what intend for such a yarder), if not old-growth and heavy sticks (which is not my intention for such a yarder).

http://www.valentini-export.com/?lang=en

thenorthman

Quote from: KiwiBro on May 07, 2015, 05:37:40 PM
Thanks for this info. Much appreciated.

The pricing of the used Koller 300's seems a fair bit cheaper than I thought.
Another thought was updating my tractor PTO skidding winch to a bigger, double drum unit and either trying to work out a way to mount a hydraulic tower to it, or just mount the whole lot (pto winch and tower) on a trailer but make the winch removable so I can hook it back up to tractor when don't need the tower.

Certainly not for big logs, but at the price of that Tajfun, I'd be expecting more capacity than it seems to handle, especially in the sorts of scenarios I'd need it for.

With two drums and enough cable you can make a pretty handy yarder with just a spar tree and some blocks, this is how i bought the skidder...

basically you use one line to lift the other to bring the logs back... all ya need is 2 blocks hung high enough in a stout tree and a few guy lines.

Just remember to park the winches a fair bit away from the spar tree if it does break or up root you want to be away from it. Of course this is where the guy lines come into their own... 3 is my preffered but 2 will be ok, more is always better.

Really though you need to have a couple few hundred feet of line on your drums to make it effective though... 200 will work more like 500 to be worth the effort.
well that didn't work

KiwiBro

Quote from: thenorthman on May 09, 2015, 09:50:26 PM
all ya need is 2 blocks hung high enough in a stout tree and a few guy lines.
Maybe it's just a NZ thing or at least in my line of NZ small, crappy stands nobody else is stupid enough to touch, but all too often there are not good enough guy trees let alone spar trees anywhere near the ideal or only location available for a pitiful excuse for a landing on the goat trail that has to do for access.

If you recall on AS a while back, I was asking about those earth screw anchor thingamigs for anchoring guy lines for this very reason.

It's become a bit like a very expensive version of trying to work out an effective two or hree saw plan, except I have to add at least one zero to each of the equipment values possible in the plan.

Need a mobile yarder to get in, out quick, minimal set-up time, easy to transport between jobs/locations/landings, easy for a tiny crew (2 or 3) to operate, yada yada.

Then, do I get a log trailer (but tilting also, and braked) with a loader and grapple that I can also use to reach over the side a little way to drag logs onto the goat trail and further process before loading trailer, or find a smallish digger with grapple attachment that I could use to help at the landing and loading and also a bit of landing /trail work.

ma head hurts, almost as much as my wallet will.

North River Energy

In the event you've not found this one yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNR98QQUABI

Maybe build a yoader out of an older rubber-tyred hoe? 

thenorthman

Small wood means you can get away with smaller spar trees and smaller guy/tail holds, just have to be more careful about getting enough lift to pick the end up so's it don't get hung on anything.

The tractor mounted yarders sound like a good deal for what you have going.  I would be a little concerned about their stability on goat trails getting in and out though, that tower makes em a little more top heavy...

I like the idea of the trailer mounted yarder, as I don't have to leave my tractor attached to make it work and can be off dragging sticks with it as well, but as you said it all comes down to cost.

As for log handling and what not, a smaller/midsized excavator/digger with a grapple will do wonders, say a 100-150 machine, grapples are out there just not as common,

You can also mount a set of winches on one with a tower spitting off the top of the dipper, then you don't need any guy lines, just stuff the bucket/grapple in to a grubby log and pull away, once to the landing pick up the boom and swing the load over to where they can be picked up or further processed.

Or drop yer lines, and start loading when the trucks get there.  One machine to rule them, and in the darkness bind them... blah blah blah

These yoder set ups (Alied, Pullmaster, Timbersumthin) are by no means cheap, but they are effective.
well that didn't work

KiwiBro

Thanks. Will look into yoders a bit more but worry the only ones worthwhile will be too big to trailer and many of the uses for it would involve many miles of walking to the landings if couldn't trailer it.

thenorthman

This one is a little goofy with the winches mounted to the blade, but you get the idea ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96VUxz5yXvQ
well that didn't work

KiwiBro

Thanks for that video. Seems like a very versatile idea. Most of my work is 'out the back' of the farm, many miles of walking from where a transporter could get to. Tractor is going to be about 70-80 HP (haven't bought it yet, still looking) so that is going to limit the size of the yoder it could then tow along the goat trails I'm expected to use to access the stands. I'm concerned a small yoder is going to be the go.

Does anyone have any experiences with small yoders?

How about a loader mounted to a log trailer parked at the landing, to handle logs hauled by a tractor-towable yarder? Would they be up to the job of both reaching over the ledge on tight shows to handle up the logs/trees and still be able to load out the trailer?

I'm thinking perhaps I could tow the whole lot right into the stands, and also make sure it is road legal so I don't have to pay transporter charges and can just tow the whole travelling circus between farm woodlots. Also, There is never a good way to get log or bulk firewood trucks into anywhere near these stands, so seeing as I'm rolling out every day, I could bring a load with me on the trailer, until such time as we need to clear the decks, in which case will need to spend a day forwarding wood.

But I can't see a log loader on log trailer having the same capabilities as a good sized digger/excavator when it comes to reaching over the side to grab logs, etc. But I really do not know where the limits would be.

Am I thinking sane or way passed that point?

Any and all advice appreciated.

KiwiBro

Really enjoy watching this guy load his truck from 20 min onwards. He's done that a few times before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J32zDUW8adA

KiwiBro

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: KiwiBro on May 20, 2015, 05:02:19 AM
Here is a good database of different options:

http://bfw.ac.at/fmdb/maschinen.web?kat=L21&lang=2

some very cool stuff in there!

the smaller machines for pulling thinnings on steep stuff would be ideal.

We have bought a small old skidder for thinning work BUT the main forest we will be in is all rolling hills..

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Thank You Sponsors!