iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buiilding another dovetail notched log cabin shell 18'x18'

Started by fred in montana, November 10, 2010, 08:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred in montana

I have started building another log cabin shell to sell. I've worked on it for about 2 days so far. The logs are 7" thick. The height varies. I used the sawmill to cut off the bark edges while following the shape of the log so it would look more rustic.

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

Fred Your not mucking around and its looking real good Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) are you doing single or 1&1/2 story with the logwork and whats the average width working out at out of the logs your using  ???  I have lined up the logs for my place and will be starting shortly  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

fred in montana

Probably just a single story but I may change my mind after I get up to 8'. The logs are about 12 inches on center. Height dimension varies from around 8 to 12 inches.

I will probably also have a roof frame. Haven't decided for sure but probably purlins with 6' overhanging one end (porch) and 1.5 feet on the back.
logdovetailjig.com

Bibbyman

When can I move in?  How many acres comes with the house?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Alexis

i know it's probably asking to much but a short video showing how you layout and cut your notch would be AMAZING!

Alexis

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Stephen1

Fred, how close can you make the logs?1/2 inch?
Can they be close enough so all you have to do is put some emseal between the logs, then a small bead of chinking?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

fred in montana

If you cut the timbers all the same, like 6 x 12, then the gap would be very consistent.

There is always a little variation because they are usually not exactly 6x12 every time. (At leas when i saw! I may end up with 6 1/8 by 11 7/8.

If you aimed for a gap of 1 inch, you would probably end up with gaps ranging from 7/8 to 1 1/8.

You can plan for a gap of 1/2" and it would probably run from 3/8 to 5/8 I would think.

logdovetailjig.com

woodbowl

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

TLahti

Hi Fred:
  Looks good, is it pine? We have red pine.
Did you say you followed the natural shape of the log to remove the bark?
Were you cranking the mill up and down as you traveled the log?
That would mean the gap varies alot between logs.
What kind of chinking would be best for that kind of gap?
I see the professional chinking cost about 25 to 50 cents per liner foot, and I think you have to do both the inside and outside.
How much do you estimate chinking will cost for a one story cabin of the size you started?
   Thank you very much,
Terry

fred in montana

Yes, it is lodgepole pine.

Yes, I cranked the mill up and down as I cut on two cuts.

I use permachink or logjam.

I would guess the chinking cost would be about $500 or $600.

Haven't gotten time to work on the cabin until today but it is too cold. I will post more photos when I am able to get back to work on it.
logdovetailjig.com

tmroper

Fred,
Your cabin looks great.  I was wondering where you get the logs?  I am in central Montana and am wanting to add on to my shop about the size you are building in this post.  I have access to logs but living on the prairie they are pretty scarce.  I am on a smaller budget so am trying to figure out all my options.  I have checked with a couple of loggers for what they were asking I could build a stick frame.  If you harvest from your property do you know of any other options like forest permits? Also is there any certain gap you shoot for?
Thanks
Will

fred in montana

There is a lot of beetle kill up the road from me that is being logged out each summer. The trucks go by my place so I flagged one down one day. They gave me a decent price.

I checked with another logger (cutting somewhere else) and his price was a lot higher.

It would cost too much to haul them a long way otherwise you could see about getting some from these guys.

logdovetailjig.com

barbender

Nice work Fred, and a beautiful spot to work in. I'm a little jealous, I suppose you have a little trout stream running through that valley to boot?
Too many irons in the fire

fred in montana

Yes there is a trout stream through here.

The place is for sale too!
logdovetailjig.com

krusty

jeeze that is some gorgeous country!

you may have me stopping in there for a week of free labour some day.

when you buy logs always ask around for pricing on the logs scaled and then shipping. I would thing that with all of that bug kill you could get some great deals.

anyways very nice work.

fred in montana

Well, hunting season and then a real winter set in so no progress on the cabin until spring probably.

I did remove one of my bed sections and put it in the garage for some mods.

I will make a new post about the mods later but they include

winch powered claw turner
"          "           clamp
"          "          backstops

12 v powered levelling jack
logdovetailjig.com

fred in montana

Well it was a long winter and then some other things got in the way but I finally got back to the cabin shell. I have to cut 5 purlins, set them and I will be ready to sell it.
Sorry for the copyrights on the photos but someone has swiped another of my photos and is using it on their website without permission. Not a big deal but it would be nice to ask first.

I will have to add another home made extension to the mill- the purlins will be 28' and I can only cut about 24'.

How much $$ do you think I should ask for it?

logdovetailjig.com

fred in montana

logdovetailjig.com

Stephen1

Fred I think you should close it in and live there. Great view.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!