iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stack Lumber (RIP)

Started by Fla._Deadheader, January 16, 2008, 10:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Down here, it is a habit of stacking lumber in an upright position. Lean it against anything that SEEMS solid.

This morning, I heard a terrible rumble and someone screaming for help. The mechanic had JUST brought our Jip to the house, and I got him to drive us down the hilll to where I heard the commotion.

There, we found an 82 year old man, trapped under a LOT of 2" X 8" x 10'. Lumber, where the upright stack had fallen on him.
  We were the first 2 men to show and immediately tried to relieve the pressure. He was pinned from his Butt, on down to his feet. VERY LUCKY to be alive.

We jammed some lumber under what we thought was the heaviest part, and pried and chocked with rocks, to relieve him.

We then proceeded to pull board after board off the pile. More people arrived and joined in. Finally, after moving a bunch of lumber, and the plastic cover, we found that the lumber had been stacked against a block wall, and the wall gave way.  ::) ::) :o :o

Finally, with 20 or so people moving lumber and breaking away part of the wall, we pulled the old timer free.

Both ankles or feet are broken. Don't know about his pelvis, yet.

He yelled to be sure we did NOT forget to recover his shoes, so, maybe he is more lucky that we think  ::) ::) ::)

PLEASE think ahead about heavy things being higher than you are, while working.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

faronskid

My prayers are with this man.  That will be a rough thing to heal from at his age.  be careful out there guys and gals.
5 rugrats = no dull moments here

OneWithWood

Glad you were there and can still hear.  Good job!  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

Funeral Services were held today. The Old Gentleman didn't make it through the first night.  ::) ::)

I never found out until they had services today, and Reina and I saw all the people. We were not informed  ::) ::) ::)  People here are something else  ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Mooseherder

Wow. Sorry to hear that. Poor old guy. :(

sawguy21

That is a sad story. Do the locals not consider you one of them yet as you were not included in the funeral service?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Fla._Deadheader

This family is strange. I DO have a few friends here. I spoke with a Son of the old timer, today. I believe HE is a friend.

I expressed my condolences and explained that no one from the family notified us. He shook his head, thanked me for offering condolences, and gave the "both arms flailing away from the body" sign, and said, NO MAS.  His small place is what I bought. He was glad to move  ::) ::) ::)

I don't really care what they think. Someday, they just might realize we are not bad people. I just go about my business and don't bother with them.

The Dad used to ALWAYS wave, and, got a kick out of me trying to talk with him. I really liked the old boy.

Last night, Reina told me she could hear the daughter and husband next to us, talking about money and property. One day before the funeral  ::) ::) >:( >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

rebocardo

Poor guy, even worse when you consider this

> the daughter and husband next to us, talking about money and property. One day before the funeral 

>:(

I guess no matter where you are, the best generation is being replaced by the worse.

Fla._Deadheader

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I just went past the scene of the "accident", and the same part of this same family, has stood all this lumber back up against ANOTHER part of this same block wall  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

This is where MOST of the village kids play "inside the walls" soccer  :o :o >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

zopi

Some peoples children..... >:(
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

woodbowl

Sorry about all this Harold, I know it's troubling to deal with. I don't even stack tee pee style any more unless the lean plate is very secure. Years ago I had a whole rack give way and  scissor down to the ground. Just a day or two before then my kids would run in and out using it for a hide out. Scared me pretty bad. I thank God for looking out for my family.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

crtreedude

Sorry to hear that Harold. I think it is something that happens, you just get used to things always working, and then, it doesn't.

The thing is, I am surprised the concrete wall came down. If it was built to spec, it never would - steel rebar through the whole thing. I have to bust up one of those walls once, it took a lot of doing.

But, I have also seen a wall fall over with just a nudge - someone put it up without rebar. Totally against the law, and common sense.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

beenthere

I'm thinkin FDH is talking concrete-block wall, not concrete wall.... ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

It's a block wall. It had SOME rebar in it.  ??? ???  Don't know how much, but, NO poured pier. It is spaced in between some upright steel tubes. ???

Fred knows the place, right across from the Soccer Field, Fred.

Thing I think is pretty dumb. Might even not have helped in this instance, but, When I poured a slab, and intended to put block walls up on it, I ALWAYS "set" the first course about 1" INTO the slab mud. I was told that's NOT code. It's MY code  :o :o :o

Other thing, these blocks are 4½" , NOT 8". Not a lot of character for side loads  ::) ::)

Everything here is slightly smaller-thinner- lighter than in the States.  I can't walk on the corrugated tin roofing. It won't support me, and the trusses are 33" spacing, 1 Vara.  ::) ::)  They use 1" X 3" or 4" for strips to nail tin to. They are 33" apart ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

When doing a concrete brick wall correctly (according to specs) - pour the footer with rebar in the footer, lots of it. Then, place rebar vertical - attached to the rebar in the footer. This rebar is to go the full height of the wall. Each hole in the block traverses that hole. Then, at every level, rebar goes vertically as well. Fill up the wholes with concrete. When you are finished, you can left the whole house with a crane. This is an earthquake zone afterall.

Like I said, I have had to take down one of those walls. You have to crumble the concrete around the rebar to do it. There is no knocking it over.

Not that I would lean against an free standing wall anyway.

Regarding the tin roof. Harold, there are various guages here - most people buy the cheap stuff - El Colono in Guatuzo has the good stuff. Also, Agro Logos sells one grade thinner than they say it is. Nice eh? The cost difference between the two isn't that much, but 600 dollars for a small house is still a big hit for most of the people down here.

It sounds to me that the community center was built cheaply, and someone paid the price. What I am wondering is why he was using a community center for stacking wood?

crtreedude

Oh, and I won't walk on the tin roofs, no matter what guage!

Fla._Deadheader

House is just south of that wall. Lumber was leaning INTO the center. I was told the reason it was never completed was it wasn't built correctly.

Now, the family has killed their Dad. It's just pretty sad, and STOOPID  ::) ::) ::) >:( >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

I will say most of the time I end up with a Tico home on a finca, the best cure is a bulldozer - or a stiff wind. The newer construction is better if done to spec. The problem is that a lot of times those in the countryside disdain the idea of requirements - until someone dies. It is a hard way to learn.  :(

Ironwood

Very common method from what I have seen. Scary stuff for the ole timer no doubt, times like that make me appriciate the Emergency medical services here in the US.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Fla._Deadheader

That style of stacking is VERY common, here.  The one I was describing was a stack LEANING against the wall. No opposing pressure from the opposite side. It just all went down, one way, flat on top of the old man.  >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ironwood

How about that Eucaliptus/ bamboo scaffold held together w/ rebar wire? NICE.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!