iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Looks like somebody's excited, none the less.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

QS Alligator wood. Haters gonna hate, hate, hate.... ;D

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lawg Dawg

Well...Woodmizer came thru for me with the upgraded debarker arm kit.  Seems pretty heavy metal to be hanging on that cantilevered head...any advice? :P

Some assembly required! :D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Darrel

Advice?  Install it.  They made the cantilever system to handle the weight. Wood-Mizer knows best. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

Don't worry about the cantilever head, just load the wagon.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Darrel on November 16, 2018, 07:25:26 PM
Advice?  Install it.  They made the cantilever system to handle the weight. Wood-Mizer knows best.
Quote from: Magicman on November 16, 2018, 07:31:09 PM
Oh ..I am...then I can saw this Bad Boy! ;D

John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Resonator on November 15, 2018, 12:59:55 PM

"Bone Chilling" last winter in Wisconsin. Stayed inside and played the blues until the temp got above zero. Though people do tend to buy more firewood on days like that. $$

It's still iced coffee weather!

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Crossroads

Did you get the disc that restricts how deep the  debarker will cut? 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Darrel

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on November 16, 2018, 08:09:16 PM

There appears to be iron in that bad boy!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Crossroads on November 16, 2018, 10:04:49 PM
Did you get the disc that restricts how deep the  debarker will cut?
Yes, I think it's in there, looks like the debarker will be spinning the opposite direction with this kit.
Quote from: Darrel on November 16, 2018, 10:17:56 PM
Quote from: Lawg Dawg on November 16, 2018, 08:09:16 PM

There appears to be iron in that bad boy!

I hope not! This cut you see was 30' off the ground or better...this is what we call Rainbow Poplar down here!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

nativewolf

Should have some nice color!
Liking Walnut

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Darrel on November 16, 2018, 07:25:26 PMAdvice?  Install it.  They made the cantilever system to handle the weight. Wood-Mizer knows best.  

I installed mine before it came with an instructions book. (took quite some time). It's a nice retrofit and works great, but acts WAY differently than the other one so takes some getting used-to. Also, seems to always be in the way when changing blades, but workable. When going mobile, if you lock the debarker in place with the pin, the leveler back there won't go up. :o Since I don't go mobile often, not a biggie. Bungie is the fix.

The plus is that now it reaches WAY in there...good fix to an obvious design/engineering fauxpas.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Crossroads

Quote from: PA_Walnut on November 17, 2018, 07:52:53 AM
Quote from: Darrel on November 16, 2018, 07:25:26 PMAdvice?  Install it.  They made the cantilever system to handle the weight. Wood-Mizer knows best.  

I installed mine before it came with an instructions book. (took quite some time). It's a nice retrofit and works great, but acts WAY differently than the other one so takes some getting used-to. Also, seems to always be in the way when changing blades, but workable. When going mobile, if you lock the debarker in place with the pin, the leveler back there won't go up. :o Since I don't go mobile often, not a biggie. Bungie is the fix.

The plus is that now it reaches WAY in there...good fix to an obvious design/engineering fauxpas.
If you can't lift your leveling jack, you mounted it in the same place the old one came from. It needs to be moved over to the next set of holes. Trust me, it goes faster the second time you mount it 😉

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Crossroads on November 17, 2018, 11:17:39 AMIf you can't lift your leveling jack, you mounted it in the same place the old one came from. It needs to be moved over to the next set of holes. Trust me, it goes faster the second time you mount it 😉

Hmmmm...I have to look at that again. Pretty sure I recall move it over. :o
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Crossroads on November 17, 2018, 11:17:39 AM
Quote from: PA_Walnut on November 17, 2018, 07:52:53 AM

If you can't lift your leveling jack, you mounted it in the same place the old one came from. It needs to be moved over to the next set of holes. Trust me, it goes faster the second time you mount it 😉
So it needs to go in the set of holes closest to the engine?

Anybody got a pic of how their's is mounted, and how it works out with the outrigger?

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Crossroads

That's correct, it goes in the set of holes closest to the engine. 

Then it should settle in right next to the jack. 

Also, the wire harness that goes to the debarker motor feeds through the movable arm, not taped to the outside of it like mine.

Old Greenhorn

I think I may be done for the season. Just did not have enough time to get the mill setup and cut enough lumber to shelter what I needed. Got my Mule stuck trying to plow down to the site, almost rolled it. Spent an hour today trying to shovel it out, but I don't have much hope when the snow is frozen. Hoping for a November thaw.
This shot shows 2 lumber piles and the generator in the upper right.

This one shows the mill and the shed I was trying to finish.

I Think I may be done, but I will hold out hope.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

We have patience and will be waiting right here for your sawmill progress after the thaw.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

You need a tractor. ;D   I betcha you know that all ready.
I build a horse run in one winter. Had to shovel snow off the rafters to lay the 1x4 down. I kept a trail open when I ws cutting the trees down. If it snowed,I went into the woods to keep the trail open,even if I was working and was not cutting.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: thecfarm on November 18, 2018, 07:22:28 PM
You need a tractor. ;D   I betcha you know that all ready.
I build a horse run in one winter. Had to shovel snow off the rafters to lay the 1x4 down. I kept a trail open when I ws cutting the trees down. If it snowed,I went into the woods to keep the trail open,even if I was working and was not cutting.
A tractor would be nice. Yes, I think of it every week.
Building in the snow isn't so bad, I can do that. But I was at the stage where I needed to re-set the bed of the mill after I whacked it with a big log. It's on the ground si I have to do some digging. This won't be fun. I just have to get my head wrapped around it. I only needed a couple more weekends and I would be good, but then this. And, as I am typing this, it just started to snow again. :(
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Brad_bb

So early last summer I had a firewood guy bring me some walnut.  A crew working for the power company was clearing more one of their right of ways in the country near him.  He asked about the wood and they told him he could have it and they even loaded it in his truck and  dump trailer.  He brought it to sell to me.  He noticed he had three 6 1/2 foot sections with a hollow or near hollow in them and said he hadn't seen that and understood that I probably wouldn't want them.  But they were good diameter and I did a quick measure and bought them(not for full log price of course, but I did some math).  I knew what I was going to try to get out of them.  The first log I did a few months back.  I did this second one on Friday.  I started with the chainsaw, sawing them into sections.  You get more out of them that way.  Now way your could get more than two 4.5x8.5 inchers if you just flat sawed the whole thing.  You can see the center was there for 4 feet, but hollow the rest of the way.  Not sure why this happened in the log?  The wood outside of the hollow was good, defect free, and green.  I got four 4.5x8.5 pieces of brace stock that I'll later plane down to 4x8.  I got a single 2x8, and about 2.5 times the amount shown of 4/4 2"-5" wide Qsawn boards.  Just cause it's hollow, doesn't mean can't get some good stuff out of it!

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

KODAK

Nice! Very efficient. How do you price out something like that compared to defect free logs from a firewood guy? I know jack squat about buying logs

Brad_bb

I either figured it as four 4x8's or maybe Doyle of OD log minus OD of Hollow?  Can't remember.  those will come out fairly close to each other.  The second one may be slightly more BF, so I may have gone with the 4x8's to be safe.  My goal is to get Walnut in the $1 to $1.50 range per BF Doyle.  That includes transportation. Longer better logs are more than short logs with hollows.  The two firewood guys I work with transport to my place.  We have a dollar amount per load established for each delivery.  So to them I Pay $1 plus the delivery cost.  If a log is particularly good, or long, might be worth a bit more to me.  I came across an unusual deal a year ago where i got two log truck loads from an ag property where they bulldozed down a walnut grove.  I ended up $1.59 in those plus four days of my labor bucking them and prepping them to load.  I'm still milling them.  I've only gotten through half of them maybe.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Lawg Dawg

I dont think I'll have a problem with FAO

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

Very nice recovery Brad.  smiley_thumbsup  I'd bet that you can get the squeal out of a pig.    :D

I have the old style Debarker but the transport pin location simplified when I added the FAO's.  Doesn't matter whether the Debarker is "in" or "out".  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!