iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things to build

Started by biziedizie, July 04, 2003, 07:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

Hey guys do any of you know of any good sites that have tons of pics of cool things to build out of logs, slabs,  wide boards etc?
  I want to use all my waste wood to build things with and I really need some ideas :P
  Any help would be great. 8)

Thanks!

Steve

Furby

How about this one:
             http://forestryforum.com/

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D You asked!  :D :D :D

Kevin

How about a fire.   :D

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I like that too!

biziedizie

Kevin, Furby them are some great ideas. :)

Thanks for the help. :D :D :D :D :D

Hey if I spark up the waste pile and the saw catches on fire do I still gotta make the payments ??? :D :D :D

Steve

Furby

Yep! Unless you got insurance! :D :D :D

biziedizie

Good point Furby 8)

Got lots of insurance on that baby 8)

Might have to do the 4rth of July thing tonight and buy a big honking saw next week. 8)

Steve

Tom

Bizi
You ought to look into making birdhouses.  You wouldn't believe the prices being asked for nailed-together, unfinished, shack-looking birdhouses in the craft and home decoration stores here.   Folks must be crazy or have too much money.  It couldn't take more than 10 minutes to make some of these things and they are askng $15 on up to what-ever. :-/

Furby

I'm trying to rebuild a "bird house" but I just can't find enough cash! :-/ ;D

Kevin

You could make some bird feeder and bird house kits with pre drilled nail holes to make it cowboy simple for the constructively challenged.
Trap boxes, planters, old style carpenter tool boxes.

biziedizie

Tom that's one of the things that I'm thinking of doing. There's a guy that buys my scrap off me for next to nothing and he sells these bird houses for around $45.00. I know he's making a killing but he always tells me he's broke.
  I'm thinking about making benches and table tops and things for the garden. I want to target the wives of the house as they buy on impulse.
  I have a local garden center that will take everything that I have so that's coool that I don't have to pedal this stuff myself.
  My biggest problem is that my imagination at the end of the day sucks as I'm sooooo tired.
  The things that Jeff has in his backyard looks cool and I'm thinking along those lines.

Steve

Tom

Don't try to bite off the whole leg at once.   :D

All you need is one product.   Then when you get that down pat, maybe another and then another.

Just because you can make all the neat stuff you see in the stores doesn't mean you should.  You could build an inventory of birdhouses in a month that you couldn't sell in a year.  That is the time to look at building the bench. :)

Do one and we'll invent somethning for you to build when you ask again :D :D

biziedizie

You're right Tom about taking on too many projects. I think that I will start with one and see how that goes.
  The benches have me thinking and I was looking at doing some prototypes and asking friends what they think.
  Hey when winter arrives do you have any ideas as to what I could build then? :P

Hey Kevin thanks for the tip about pre drilling and cutting idea. We have people in this town that go to the rental store to rent hammers! :D

Furby take out a mortgage for the renovations on your birdhouse, I hear that prime is 1.5 at the moment. :D

Steve

Furby

Allready have a mortgage. Thinking about refinancing, but still don't have enough to do the job. I can do the work myself, but I need equipment for some of it and that puts me even farther over the top. ;D

Tom

Steve,

Kevin had a good one for winter.........a fire. :D

I would have to think real hard to come up with something to build during winter besides that.  We don't have winter and I don't have much experience with it. :D :D

Maybe cutting boards? or silverware trays? or knife holders? or wood puzzles? or bandsaw boxes? or jewelry boxes? or humidors ??  hmmm   that might not sell anymore.  

You could stock up on Yard Art.  You know, that stuff folks put in the yard that is a silhouette of a man fishing or a kid sitting on a fence or leaning against a tree etc.  It would stack flat and not take up too much room  When you make them life size they use up a lot of wood too. :D :D

biziedizie

Tom I think Kevins idea about the fire might just have to work as I have no firewood for the stove yet :o Winter will be here soon and if I don't get my ash in gear I will be burning wet wood. :o

O.K I give :D What's a humidor ???

Oh yeah them yard art things sell big time down here! It's funny what crap people will buy!

Steve

CHARLIE

Biziedizie, do some searches on the internet for free plans for outdoor projects. There's a bunch of them out there and even if you might not be able to use a plan, it might trigger an idea.

This site might give you a bump start.

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/index.php?cat=102
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

biziedizie

Thanks for the link Charlie, looks like there's a bunch of free and interesting ideas on that site. :)

Steve

Frank_Pender

Charlie, that place is like Miller's Cave.  :-/ You get lost in there for a month and not see everything.  ??? Thank you for sharing such a nice hide-away. ;D
Frank Pender

Brian_Bailey

The thick slab ends can be made into stylized hand carved bowls.  Just make sure you cut back from any checks.

Here's an example.  My dad made this out of a walnut slab. If you look at it one way it looks like a wolfs head. Another perspective will give you a whale or stand it on end an it could be a rabbit.

Another view showing depth.

My advice is don't start making what everyone else is making, come up with something unique.  
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

biziedizie

Brian that's some very nice work. 8)

Steve

Brian_Bailey

Thanks,  my dad is an accomplished woodcarver and has an artistic eye for detail. If'n I had half his talent, I would gladly sell the mill and tour the country teaching woodcarving. But I don't, so I'll just keep plugging away as is  :(.

He'll probably kick me in the butt for posting a picture of this Dragon he carved! Those are real bone teeth. The wood is butternut.  You wouldn't believe some of the stuff he has made from scraps.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Frank_Pender

What you need to do, Brian, is become is tour manager and set up the carving classes for him and simply take a small percentage as you both tour around the country.  He can do the teaching and you collect and spend the money. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Brian_Bailey

I hear ya Frank,  with the popularity of woodcarving lately, I bet your suggestion would be a profitable one!  There is one problem though,  my dad doesn't like to travel  :'(. He's getting up there in age and it's just too hard on him.

Thank You Sponsors!