iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small circle saws

Started by SquareG, February 08, 2014, 11:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

squareG,  I would like to say about how its done here in so. mo.,  scrag mills buy tree length  by weight and cut to there length requirements. Of all the cants I have sold, they have been 8' 8" that come from cull logs that don't produce sound ties. This is typical for most all mills around.  Cants are 4x6 typical, and sell for .30 on avg. prices vary with demand.  I would advise to meet with a buyer and  get their requirements before sawing anything.  It is allot of work, equipment will be needed, banding for sure, and somewhere to go with the slabs.   I hope your endeavor works out for you,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SquareG

I had a mill once, trying to buy my logs.  8' only even for pallet.  dealbreaker.  Tie logs are alot of the reason loggers make a mess.  Anyway, there is very little $ incentive for me now to cut tie logs vs blocking any length 7-14'.  Tie logs are some of the reason I have bolts all over the place.  The only weight scale around here is at the softwood chipper.

Possum Creek

For small, short logs or bolts one of those "bench" saws might be handy but may be hard to get in this country. Probably for the least investment you could find a small handset circle mill with around a 40" blade. They are not that hard to keep running just keep them sharp and it would work great for cants.

SquareG

over 40 is when they start to get touchy? leaning over and wandering and heating?  Can a guy cut larger diameter stuff in half with the mill somehow?

beenthere

Possum Creek
I've seen the term "bench" saw mentioned, as well as by Sigidi in their Aussie mill resurrection, and am curious what it is.
I am thinking it means a bench or carriage for the log as it passes through a saw blade to break the log down.
Somewhat like a sliding table on a shop table saw, only larger.

What is your description of the "bench" saw??

Years back, like 50+ years, there were what was called a Bolter saw, where short logs (bolts) were manually fed past a large saw blade. On the dangerous side, and frowned upon by the safety patrols. But they had a place in quickly breaking down a log. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Possum Creek

Usually the rim speed is slower on smaller saws unless you are flying at the arbor and that reduces the risk of rapid heating but it would not work with large diameter logs.

Possum Creek

Beenthere,                                                                               I have seen pictures of the bench saws from other countries like the ones in Australia it does look like it would be great for small, short pieces. I know it would be unrealistic here though.

SquareG

Is penney bolter what you're referring to? small headsaw, plus topsaw, carriage is narrow with no dogs.  cutting first slab seems psycho.

I think I would like the idea of two smaller saws on electric, but I'm not inclined to try sawing without dogs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wuORQtIvW8k

Possum Creek

Wow that was something, but I was just suggesting a conventional handset mill with a carriage with dogs but having a smaller blade if blade maintenance was the greatest concern . The bench saw was something I should not have mentioned but the idea of it sawing short small pieces quickly seems pretty nice. Sorry I have not been more help.                PC

SquareG

I meant was that what you were referring to in bench saw.  Otherwise, I understand you were referring to belsaw and such.

beenthere

SqaureG
Yes, that is typical of the saw that used to be referred to as a bolter saw, as I remember.
No dogs, and am asking if that is the type of saw Possum Creek meant when he said "bench" saw.  Easily could be called a bench saw, as so similar to a sliding table saw.

The old bolter saws didn't have the power table pushing the bolt through, but had the table and push bar for manual "push".

Thanks for posting that video.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Possum Creek

Yes sir Beenthere, that is what I had in mind I have heard them called bolter mills also. I had a saw off of one before a 32" inserted tooth.

double cut1

i have a dl double cut . and a woodmizer the blade cost on the D L is 80% less . the production is about the same as the swing blade but much easier . the band mills have there place woodmizer quality can not be beat . short log will be very low production . the dl double swinger is 18k . all the dimesional wills you dont have to turn the log. woodmizer lt35 19k . im thinking about the lt 35 hyd . i cut pallet cants 1200ft a day by my self 16 inch logs .

double cut1

pallet lumber 4/6 .39mbft tree cost .15 bft .24 ---

double cut1

i have heard a bolt mill with edger would be good and used not to much money. there are small scragg mills that might be even better

drobertson

as said, " a long hoe to roe",  timber work  and sawmilling is a cut throat industry, and there is no other way to describe it.
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

SquareG

Thanks DC.  Not very easy reading I know.  Thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!