iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 031av

Started by stumpy, November 14, 2008, 12:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

My neighbor has a Stihl 031av.  It starts fine and idles, but when you begin to throttle up, it dies.  It does that until the saw get good and warm.  The saw runs fine when it is wide open, but from idle to midrange, it seems like it loads up and you have to coax it to get it going.  As a side note, he wiggled the plug wire and got a good jolt off of it.  Any thoughts?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

mike_van

Usually when one of mine starts that, it's time for a good carb cleaning & a new kit in it. The diaphrams get hard with age, don't work like they're supposed to.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

wraylow

Try  backing the low mixture screw out about 1/2 turn then rivve it wide open and slam the choke on and off a few times . This usually will clear up the problem. What is happening is the mid range mixture is too lean for whatever reason -dirty carb-out of adj. also check your air filter it may be colgged.
numerous stihls , massey ferguson mf35  kubota L4701h

Stihluser

I have a Stihl 031AV chain saw that was probably built in the seventies.  I am having a lot of the same type of problems that I have read about on this web site.  I am trying to decide if the saw is worth fixing or to buy a newer model.  I've spend $85.00 on a tune up, but it still bogs down when there is a load.  I would appreciate any feed back on this.

Thanks,
Stilhuser

Thank You Sponsors!