iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid Steer Mounted WOOD CHIPPER- Are they more than toys??

Started by snowkraft, April 16, 2017, 09:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowkraft

I have been thinking for what I do (ski trail) it would be super convenient and better for the trail to use a skid steer mounted wood chipper. One of the best looks like Woodmax 9900:   http://www.woodmaxx.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MX-9900SS

Does anybody have one of these, or something similar, that chips 8 inch capacity?? How do they work?? What size log will they chip fairly easily?? Will they hold up?? 

I guess also, is there a better brand of chipper that you are aware of??

...thanx

BargeMonkey

I had never seen that brand before, actually built in western NY. 👍  I don't have a chipper on a skidsteer but have 15+ other skidsteer attachments and we are always shopping around for what works. We do alot of small clearing jobs for septic systems, we did have a 12" Woodchuck disc/diesel and upgraded that to a BC1800XL Vermeer we feed with a 121-3 Kubota excavator.  That attachment actually looks pretty rugged, the vinyl doors won't live long but the rest seems good. My experience is if you figure 2/3 of what they say rated capacity is what a chipper is "comfortable" at, over 12" and mine doesn't really like it, rarely do we put stuff in that big, mostly bull pine. How big of a skidsteer do you have and how much do you intend on using it ? The axillary cooler isn't a bad idea. For 5-6" stuff I think it would probably work great. A decent small used diesel chipper is close to what that attachment costs new, for doing dedicated work like small brush on a ski trail I think it would work great and you may have less maintenance headaches. Certain wood doesn't like to chip or will plug the chute / fan up. Have them walk you thru changing knives, whatever their procedure is, torque specs, bolt life, there's not alot to it but you don't want to do it wrong.

snowkraft

Thanks for the great reply. I have two skidsteers- a Gehl 7810 with steel trax (100 HP, 13000 lbs) and an ASV SR-80, 80 HP and around 8500 lbs. The Gehl has hi flow of around 38 gallons p/m, so will work well. I think the ASV will also be OK, and would rather use that as is easier on the trail with 20 inch rubber trax.

Like you said, I think with a SS mounted chipper the process would be more efficient, so will likely go that route. The rotor or disk or whatever you call it is around 275 lbs I think, and overall 1500 lbs, so fairly sturdy. Wallenstein makes a PTO drive for 100HP tractors that is much more significant, around 3500 lbs, and 10 inch chipping, so I am at least going to take a look at that, altho I have no tractor. I would have to buy a cheap tractor, and that would be wider and heavier, so probably not the best for my trail, but definitely a stronger chipper.

After I posted I found a Bearcat model that looks to be a bit beefier, altho I'm not sure better. There is a Bearcat dealer in town, but the Woodmax is a purchase direct from manufacturer, altho thru research I have heard they provide good customer service.

Bruno of NH

My friend has an ASV 80 or 90 Hp with high flow and chipper
He doesn't like it says it clogs and is to slow
I had a 4" chipper on my first tractor and he told me that worked better and it wasn't even power feed .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ohio_Bill

I have owned one of woodmaxx, s chippers for 3 years. Mine is 8 inch PTO drive with hyd feed. I use it to dispose of edging waste and brush cleanup. I'm not asking it to do a lot but it works fine.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

snowkraft

It seems that the Woodmaxx or Bearcat that I am looking at can reliably feed 5-6 inch logs. That is not quite as big as I wanted, but will be OK. The convenience of having it on a skid steer makes a lot of sense to me. Still not sure if I'll get the Woodmax or Bearcat, but Bearcat having a local dealer, will probably go that way.

Thank You Sponsors!